Homemade fleshing boards questions
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 07:09:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1625121 Posts in 192447 Topics by 43491 Members
Latest Member: Basil Bones
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Homemade fleshing boards questions « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Homemade fleshing boards questions  (Read 4417 times)
bbarnthouse

« on: December 24, 2006, 02:58:48 PM »

I want to make a small fleshing board. What wood is preferred and shold it be treated with anything? Thanks for any advice.
BuckSlayinGirl
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 03:02:35 PM »

use a piece of pvc pipe and cut it to a point one end.
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »

The PVC advice is dead on for most people.  If you wanted a perfect beam, it would have to be constructed of a good hardwood like maple, ash or of hickory, cherry or holly with perfectly straight grain.  Then the wood would have to be spokeshaved until the proper contour is made.  The cost of such a plank today is exceptionally high. You'll be better off financially to take PVC.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
HurtTaxidermy

My Dream Deer

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 07:17:45 PM »

I just mounted an old boat paddle that I cut off where the handle started and put it on another board. Im not good at explaining it but I will put A pic up to show you
moon beams

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 07:23:06 PM »

I just use a 2x10 pointed on one end mounted on a stand
bbarnthouse

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 07:26:14 PM »

Thanks for the ideas. Sounds like about anything will work as long as I can slide the skin over it?? I have a piece of 1x10 hardwood that I think I will cut and use and I will also try the PVC idea. Thanks again.
swalburn

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 09:26:22 PM »

What length and diameter is the PVC pipe?
coon hunter
Platinum Member

Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 09:38:39 PM »

I use a beam made from a Sycamore log.

DRIFT WOOD TAXIDERMY QUALITY WHOLE SALE AND CUSTOMER TAXIDERMY

God is Great Beer is good and , People are crazy .
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 10:50:20 AM »

Actually Drew, the PVC should be of 10 inches diameter or more, split in half.  To the end of that "half pipe", the PVC is tapered down similar to a rocket nosecap. 

Pine and sycamore are not woods one would normally choose for a fleshing beam simply because of the predisposition of the wood grain to have soft spots.  Obviously they're used with success, but still not ideal initial choices if you're planning on building one from scratch.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
KevinH
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 03:37:34 PM »

I used a piece of maple about 8-10 inches around and cut it in half and shape it with a draw knife.  The one I jus tstarted making this year was a piece of basswood about 20-24 inches around cut in half, the maple one was ok but for fleshing bears it was too small.  I just shaped them the best I could with a chainsaw then went to the drawknife then the sander to make them smooth, I put boiled linseed oil on them but after fleshing a bear you dont really need anything.  You just want any kind of wood that wont split bad.  Stay away from ash, maple, hickory are good but heavy, Im tryin basswood cuz its light, my new beam which is twice as big as my old maple beam I would have to say weighs about the same.  By the way my dad is a logger so I just had him keep an eye out for a good log for a beam.

Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Can you skin Griz?
    Jeremiah Johnson: I can skin'em as fast as you can catch'em.
    Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Skin that one pilgrim and I'll get you another!
bowhunterq2xl
Gold Member

Hillbilly pride runs deep

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 12:54:58 PM »

If you have a sawmill anywhere close, the slabs they cut off on the first cut makes a perfect fleshing beam. Just peel the bark and seal ;)

"Yew betta give yore hart to Gawd...couse your butt belongs to me"
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Homemade fleshing boards questions « previous next »