Repairing Blackbuck Horns
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2014, 05:54:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1612133 Posts in 190421 Topics by 43056 Members
Latest Member: dsdoman
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Repairing Blackbuck Horns « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Repairing Blackbuck Horns  (Read 1457 times)
QuadKing

« on: December 26, 2006, 12:02:28 PM »

Help!  I am a weekend warrior when it comes to taxidermy but I enjoy trying.  I was very successful with my first European mount but not so much with my second attempt although it was not a whitetail.  I took a blackbuck with about 12" long horns and when I attempted to boil the skull, about 1/2" of the tips of the horns singed off.  The horns also bubbled up on various parts of the horns.  The horns are grown from blackbuck hair so I now know where I went wrong.  I think I got the water too hot and since it was very cold outside, I had it in an enclosed grill.  Does anyone have any tips for repairing my antlers to their original or closely original state?

QuadKing
J Brown II
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 01:29:55 PM »

Black Epoxy Sculpt. Do your best to re-sculpt the tips. Did you pull the horns off the skull? You need to, there is meat in there that will rot. Don't boil the skulls! Simmer them.
John King
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 03:30:45 PM »

I took the meat off the skull and around and under the edges of the horns much like a whitetail.  Without sounding like I'm illiterate, is there meat inside the horns that will rot?  If so, should I simply cut the horn off at the horn base and then affix it back to the skull after it's been cleaned?  Thanks!
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Repairing Blackbuck Horns « previous next »