Sales and Marketing for Taxidermists
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 08:48:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1625417 Posts in 192504 Topics by 43495 Members
Latest Member: 330standard
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Training  |  Topic: Sales and Marketing for Taxidermists « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sales and Marketing for Taxidermists  (Read 1841 times)
Christie
Silver Member

Instructor, Consultant & Speaker

« on: January 16, 2009, 10:50:32 PM »

Do you get frustrated with your customers (or lack thereof)?
Do you feel that your advertising is just a waste of time and money?
Are you trying to grow your business and not sure how to take the next step? 
Have you ever said "I hate dealing with the public" or "I just want to do taxidermy"?
Did you know that there are steps that you can take to not only grow your business, but make dealing with customers easier?

It doesn't make sense - you take classes and seek training to improve your taxidermy work, but you don't seek training to improve your business skills.  You can have the best product, but if you can't sell it, you're out of business.  So we're introducing a customized program, which has been developed for the taxidermy industry:  Sales and Marketing for Taxidermists.

Some of the topics available are:
  • Basic telephone techniques
  • Personal presentation
  • Developing a core customer list
  • Scripting for price inquiries, handling objections, and converting callers to clients
  • Networking in and out of the industry
  • Branding yourself and increasing your brand awareness
  • Marketing - active and passive
  • "Call to actions" and getting the most out of your advertising dollar
  • Tracking your business
  • Referrals

All the things that are never offered in a typical taxidermy format!

This list is not all-inclusive and may fluctuate based on your needs.  We are currently offering one-on-one consultations, either in person or over the phone, and currently booking group classes.  If you are interested in learning more about these items, please PM me or contact me at (814) 440-1269.

Christie Mahany-Czarnecki
Business & Marketing Consultant for Taxidermists
(814) 796-6320 Home (814) 440-1269 Cell
Ross
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:40:56 PM »

hi christie just pm you, check your email
Christie
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »

I've had several PM's and emails requesting more information about Marketing Consulting.  Currently there are two formats that I am offering:

1. One-on-one classes via phone and email.  These classes would be similar to taking a 1-2 day course, but they would be spread out over 4-6 weeks.  The great part about them is because of the material covered, we can talk on the phone once per week and then follow up with email.  They are less intrusive into your schedule, plus they don't require any travel (or travel expenses).  Price varies on length of class, which varies with topic.  These can also be customized to your specific requests, or advanced levels.

2. Group seminars. These would be brought "in house" so to speak, and would be for a duration of 1 day or more.  The price would be determined based on location, number of people, and length of seminar.  While not as customized as the individual classes, they are a great introduction to the material.  Typically these classes are less expensive per individual than the one-on-one classes.

The information provided is not your typical "business" seminar material.  While it is geared toward growing your business, it focuses on marketing and customer service, both topics which are not commonly offered in the taxidermy industry.  If you know anyone who might be interested, or if you would like to arrange one in your area, please let me know. 

I will have a breakdown of the 4-6 week classes posted soon.

Thanks, and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!

Thanks again,
(814) 440-1269

John Janelli
Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 02:15:03 PM »

Christie, where have you been for the past 40 years? You have quite possibly cornered a new and yet extremely essential learning tool that could make the difference between turning a hobby into a lucrative business for anyone with a desire to do so. I personally wish you nothing but success and all the best in your endeavor to bridge the gap between taxidermy as an art form into a business venture. There are many informative and educating seminars at various shows and functions for taxidermists. But none give nearly as accurate an outline as your prescribed curriculum above.
John Janelli
John C
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:27:41 AM »

Problem with this is every area is different. What works in Central Kansas does not work in upstate( Ft Drum area) New York or Arkansas.

The next problem is trying to teach people the real cost in mounting.

Then you have the people who don't know WAGES from PROFIT and they will never listen until years and years down the road.

I have been teaching preaching cost, wages and profit for 25 years and only time will tell people what to do.

Most taxidermist are gone if five years anyway. Just look at the forums and who was here when it started and how has left.

Had a student over the other day, when he was done fleshing the deer hide, he admitted he had never removed that much meat.

Then just yesterday I delivered fish to another taxidermist, he ask why the lips were pilling on his deerheads, I looked at one of  his deerheads and there was enough meat left on it top make a lunch. So I told him to come over to the and I will show him how I flesh a cape, after 15 years he is still experimenting with ears too. even brags about never doing an ear the same way twice.

What has to be done, is first teach taxidermy and mix it with business.

But you will still have people giving away their work and others who are afraid of the guy down the street charging less.
Christie
Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 07:09:26 PM »

Hi John C,

I agree with you in that there are always people who won't understand pricing and profit.  This is a common argument, one which has been hashed out year after year, and is the main basis for many taxidermy business seminars.  I am NOT offering a pricing and profit seminar.   I don't care what they charge for a deer, fish, or bird mount.  If they need help with that, they can usually find a seminar to attend. 

What I am focusing on is the sales and marketing side of business.  How to market themselves no matter the price, and build confidence in themselves to be able to build their business.  How to take their current business to the next level.  These techniques have been proven cross-country and cross-industry.  Things like tracking your business and advertising, having a core customer list, and customer service are timeless core business issues.  However, they're rarely taught, as most taxidermy business seminars focus on pricing, with the misconception that all you need to succeed in business is to raise your prices high enough.

These classes that I am offering are geared toward taxidermists that have been established and are looking to grow their business, or even ones who are just getting started who are committed to making their new business work.

I will disagree with the statement "What has to be done, is first teach taxidermy and mix it with business".  I don't care how good your taxidermy is, if you can't promote it, you're out of business.  I get several comments per year along the lines of "I just want to do taxidermy".  My reply? "Great! Work on your resume and apply to a larger studio/shop."  That is the only way you will succeed at "just doing taxidermy".

If you are committed to being a self-employed taxidermist, what you need to remember is that you are a small business owner FIRST, and a taxidermist SECOND.  If you don't commit to working on and growing your business, you won't need to worry about being a taxidermist.

Randy Miller
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 11:35:44 AM »

How about doing a DVD for sale? I'd be interested
Christie
Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 01:02:14 PM »

That's not currently in the works right now, just because it is so customized to your individual situation.  But thanks for the feedback!

Christie
Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 01:09:18 PM »

Here is some more information on the customized individual classes:

These classes are spread out over 4-6 weeks, include a one-hour phone conversation per week (at a designated time convenient for you), and regular email follow-up during the length of the class. They have the same information as a 1-2 day seminar that you would take in a master taxidermy studio, with the benefit of no travel.  Because it's spread out over time, you are more likely to absorb the information, plus it often times gives you time to try some of the techniques and get feedback.

Some example class topics are: Converting Callers to Clients, Branding Yourself, Advertising and Getting the Most Out of Your Advertising Dollar,  Growing Your Business through Networking,  The Art of Referrals.  (Custom classes or other topics may follow, and these topics are to be used simply as a guideline).

Each topic can be taken individually, and is not dependent on the other classes (you can take them in any order) and each can be customized to your specific needs.  Similarly to other 1-2 day seminars, price typically runs $349-$499 per 4-6 week class.

Please let me know if you think these things might be helpful to you.  We can discuss your concerns and choose the best starting place for your needs and goals.  It's a new year, and a great time to make a fresh start!

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Training  |  Topic: Sales and Marketing for Taxidermists « previous next »