Instructions for Wolf Habitat-by oldterryr
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 01, 2014, 08:35:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619958 Posts in 191546 Topics by 43292 Members
Latest Member: bambistew
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Instructions for Wolf Habitat-by oldterryr « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Instructions for Wolf Habitat-by oldterryr  (Read 5599 times)
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

« on: January 19, 2009, 07:57:41 PM »

Some of us were blessed to have known Terry Davis both personally and professionally for many years, while some of us only knew him for a matter of weeks.  In May of 2008 he lost his battle with cancer.  There are no words to adequately express the grief many of us felt for Terry & his family.  For many months we read his Cancer Blogs.  Through the good times and bad, Terry tried to smile and tried to help.  He gave his life, his family, and this industry that he loved so much, everything he could, until he could give no more.

I hope that in some small way, by putting the tutorials that Terry had on his website, here on Taxidermy.net, he will continue to teach, inspire, and watch over all of us.  His beloved wife, Maggie, has given her blessing to this project.

I havent changed a word of the tutorials.  The methods described within are entirely Terrys.  I made the pictures taxi.net friendly, but other than that, this is the exact tutorial Terry had on his website.  ;)

Enjoy, and God bless.  L

Step by Step instructions for Wolf Habitat
1)Base of habitat has been built for mount to dry and to give perspective of what mount really is to look like

2)Mount is dry - we are going to modify the rough structure we made for drying mount - mark cut marks - slow curves are better than sharp angles

3)The cuts have been made

4)Kill the brite color with a little black

5)Put mount back on structure - we want to build habitat to mount

6)Here is what we will need - I had a piece of aged barnboard and a vertebrae - pink stuff is wall insulation (r10) - if you can find white in this density it would be much easier to color

7)Start slapping it on - randomly - I use 3" drywall screws to attach to wood - it DOES NOT need to be structurally sound at this juncture

8)Keep going adding a little here and a little there

9)Work from one side of the mount to the other - leave the front open for now - this is where you will secure the wolf to base

10)Cut little pieces along with bigger ones

11)Here are the 3 pieces just cut

12)I have elected not to use the barn board cause I cant imagine a wolf being around it - I have laid the vertebrae on where it fits well

13)Notice the left end of vertebrae is supported here by a piece cut just for that purpose

14)Keep going

15)To do most of finishing of habitat we want mount out of the way - pull it off

16)Mix up some 2 part foam - this is a big project so we will use two batches - I use throwaway brushes and gloves - this stuff is sticky

17)Paint the foam everywhere - put it between pieces and on edges - it will glue everything together and kill the straight edge manmade look

18)I use flat black, almond and orange to color habitat

19)Hit black

20)Highlight with almond and orange

21)Spray rock

22)Spray it on

23)Spray rock takes a while to dry even in summer - when dry seal with clear lacquer - can be gloss or flat - doesn't matter

24)done for now

25)Put him (her?)  back on

26)Front is still open - reach under and anchor (for good) - we are getting ready to close it up

27)Drill hole to anchor vertebrae

28)6" drywall screw - run down thru vertebrae into foam - the vertebrae is just laying on structure so it doesn't need to be super strong

29)Close up the front like we did b4

30)Fill in the hole behind front legs

31)Wrap bags around legs to keep paint and foam off of hair

32)Refoam everything that we just added

33)Everything looks okay

34)Do the paint - spray rock just like we did b4

35)I found this piece of wood in the back of my van and it fits with the 'look'

36)Screw driftwood on base with drywall screws from bottom

37 & 38)Finished Product!!!!!!  This baby is heading to New York.

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 07:40:25 PM »

We know the photobucket pictures are down.  I've done what I can to fix it.  I am at a loss for anything else I can do.  Ken Edwards & Patrick J are working on it and I am very grateful to them.  I am hopeful that Terry can continue to teach future generations of taxidermists for many years to come.

Thank you for your patience.

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Instructions for Wolf Habitat-by oldterryr « previous next »