New to forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 02:47:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617869 Posts in 191215 Topics by 43221 Members
Latest Member: JHamm
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: New to forum « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New to forum  (Read 1799 times)
Ringo

« on: January 03, 2007, 07:00:41 PM »

Just started to do euro mounts. So the question I have is "the skulls keep cracking down the middle, what is the best way to keep them from cracking?"  I have been boiling them.  The customers that I have done these for are very pleased with the results.  I am not, however.  I am looking for a better way to do these skulls in the enviornment that I have to work with. I live in central Wisconsin and would like to know any other methods that would help.  I have read different forums and for the amount of skulls that I have to do, beetles would not work. If anybody can give me some knowledge  on different methods or could a beetle colony suvive on 50 skulls a year.  Please let me know.

Jonny Ringo
JLong
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 07:53:47 PM »

Could try maceration or just do the beetles and keep em fed between skulls.
kycooner
Gold Member

Set'em Up Josie

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 08:09:30 AM »

welcome aboard ringo

Frank Yates(aka Ky Cooner)
Raywick Ky
wetnwild
Platinum Member

crunchy

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:39:10 AM »

Ringo, it all depends on how long you are simmering or boiling. I would simmer just long enough so that the meat starts to peal from the skull, maybe 10-15 minutes, then use a pressure washer to finish. Boiling too long will crack the skulls
buckeyebullet23
Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 12:27:32 PM »

I really like the beetles. no harm at all to the skulls. you can feed them dog food in between skulls.

Semper Fi !
Old Fart
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 01:05:06 PM »

The crack that you refer to is called a suture.  It's a natural seam in a skull that allows the skull to grow.  When an animal reaches maturity the sutures will grow solid, as the skulls no longer growing. That's not to say that that happens quickly. I am going to guess that you're talking about deer skulls.  Since most bucks are 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 years old that are harvested(at least semi trophy size) and deer reach maturity at 4(considered an average by most experts) you are probably dealing with mostly immature skulls that have sutures that have not grown together.   Boiling puts added stress on the sutures and that's probably where your solution lies.  Beetles and maceration will cause less problems.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
geterdone

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 10:41:10 PM »

after skull is cleaned and ready for drying I like to use rubber bands or even wire will work.  Place the bands around the nose region which will hold the skull tight and dry back to normal without the crack down the forehead
Ringo

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 11:46:44 PM »

I'll try.Geterdone
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: New to forum « previous next »