Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 08:45:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1597375 Posts in 188310 Topics by 42661 Members
Latest Member: MWCT
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Bird of the Week - 2014 Anchor List « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bird of the Week - 2014 Anchor List  (Read 9693 times)
KMA
Platinum Member

« on: June 24, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »

Welcome to the 2014 Bird of the Week! 

First and foremost, I want to send out a huge THANKS to the bird brains that have already stepped up and volunteered their time to make sure that BOTW is a continuing success.  :)   

As a reminder, we share in Bird of the Week to find a common place with friendliness and positive comments of motivation and as a great place to start in an upward direction of inspiration in being better bird taxidermists.

How truly fortunate we are for people from such different backgrounds and geographic locations around the world to be joined from time to time to share, learn and be inspired by one another.   I've made the list as diverse as possible including full-time veterans to the hobby waterfowler and a little bit of everything in between. So thank you for volunteering your time to show us your great taxidermy work and may your lives continue to be blessed with talent, hard work, newfound knowledge and successes!

As always the great folks that anchor the thread will be given the autonomy to run the thread as they see fit during their assigned rotations and as Ambassadors of BOTW they are tasked with keeping the positive purpose of Bird of the Week at the forefront.  Experience has shown us that choosing a single winner or posting negative comments are counter productive and can't be allowed in this very special venue. It will be a place for sharing, not arguing.  Please remember that although we have a Moderator in place to prevent and quickly address any problems, it is we, the participants that are ultimately responsible for this task by simply showing courtesy and respect.

I want to thank all of the talented contributors, both past and present, who not only share their personal great talents, but also those just beginning that have summoned up the courage to share as well.  It is my sincere hope that everyone who reads this will take the time to invite another bird taxidermist or enthusiast to participate in Bird of the Week whether it is a valued veteran member that has chosen to return and move forward by putting past differences and loyalties aside or someone joining us for the very first time, all of us will be needed to make Bird of the Week a continued success.

The goal of Bird of the Week is a simple one: no egos or agendas PLEASE! -just passionate and friendly bird folks from around the world who appreciate pictures of ANY AND ALL SPECIES OF BIRDS and the efforts of those valiant taxidermists that attempt to recreate them. I also want to make absolutely clear that each and every taxidermist reading this understands that no matter what species they enjoy the most or geographic location they are from or skill level they posses, EVERYONE will always be welcomed without any restrictions into the Bird of the Week.

So, from the beginner to the world champion, I am humbled by the opportunity to once again welcome everyone in joining a positive, inspirational and critique free string with nothing more than great artists and bird taxidermists getting together to share not only their efforts, but also their praise and inspiration of goodwill and friendship toward one another. I wish all the best to those in the pursuit of better birds!   One final reminder, if you get the chance send JP a pm and thank him for starting the original Bird of the Week.

Note: Please scroll to bottom of Post for iphone/android List Display

I'm very happy with the representatives that we came up with for this year.  I've made the list as diverse as possible including Masters, hobby waterfowlers, part-timers, full-timers,  the commercial guys and gals grinding it out everyday, a National Champion or two and the brave up and comers that will take over when we are long gone.  We have representatives from around the world to include Germany, the United Kingdom, Austria, Russia and all points of the United States.

I always try to end the year on an interesting note; in 2012 y'all might recall we had a "best of bird category" contest and then this past year in 2013 it was a good, old-fashioned, Taxi.net brawl.   So in order to keep up that tradition I have scheduled a driven newbie named BrookeSFD16 as well as a Master and Champion named Igor to Host back to back at the conclusion of the year to show us that Bird of the Week serves as a reminder to all of us that no matter where we are in our journey, we all have a long way to go and should be enjoying the process! Again, I can't thank those enough that have unselfishly volunteered their time to anchor the BOTW and ensure it's continued success.  It's gonna be a great year!  :) Thanks - Matt

2014 Anchor list :)

Jan 20                        byrdman                                             
Jan 27                        byrdman                                           

Feb 3                          Randy H                                              July 21         RusTax
Feb 10                        Randy H                                              July 28         RusTax

Feb 17                        Jeremy                                                Aug 4           Ryan Rhodes
Feb 24                        Jeremy                                                Aug 11         Ryan Rhodes

Mar 3                          Alan Webfoot                                      Aug 8            BrazosBoyt
Mar 10                        Alan Webfoot                                      Aug 25          BrazosBoyt

Mar 17                        Tim Schloss                                         Sep 1            Glasseye   
Mar 24                        Tim Schloss                                         Sept 8           Glasseye

Mar 31                        TxOutdoors                                         Sep 15           Pete-Pec
Mar 24                        TxOutdoors                                         Sep 22           Pete-Pec

Apr 14                        Yogi                                                    Sep 29           Duck Norris
Apr 21                        Yogi                                                    Oct 6             Duck Norris

Apr 28                        Sprigman                                              Oct 13           FF/Birdman
May 5th                      Sprigman                                             Oct 20           FF/Birdman

May 12                       JBird                                                    Oct 27           Capercaillie
May 20th                    JBird                                                     Nov 3            Capercaillie 

May 26                        Rai Red                                               Nov 10           Samson (Karin)
June 2                         Rai Red                                                Nov  17          Samson (Karin)

June 9                         Birdstuffer                                            Nov 24          Jay Parke aka idbatman       
June 16                       Birdstuffer                                             Dec 1           Jay Parke aka idbatman

June 23                       Rick RR                                                Dec 8            BrookeFD216
June 30                       Rick RR                                                Dec 15          BrookeFD216

Continued Top/ next column                                                     Dec 22           Igor
**                                                                                             Dec 29           Igor

*Alternate for 2014 is TWinter - Thank You Terry.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:12:29 PM by KMA » Logged
bābak
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »

can't wait to see hosting weeks of this guys ,they are really talented art men!best choosing Matt! keep good job my friends,best wishes for y'all.
smalliestalker
Gold Member

Blessed are the meek. (Matthew 5:5)

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 05:00:34 PM »

can't wait to see hosting weeks of this guys ,they are really talented art men ...

And a very talented woman.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW - What a Ride!'

rai_red
Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 03:33:12 AM »

Of course, we will not forget Cheri, Babak my friend, and I can repeat it again here, for me it is a great honor to be a host of BOTW and I remember, when I started watching this forum and looked at all the past BOTW where you choose a winner of the week. I think everybody who is able to mount a bird and save it for us and our childs and is willing to share it here with us, is a winner, and who will better know than us, that you dont have a good day every time, so sometimes we do good or less good work. But that was never a reason for me to quit this hobby since 38 years now, because it is the same as it was at the day I started, I love the finished work and I am happy for every bird, that I prevented from rotten,
Rainer.
bābak
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 09:27:47 AM »

can't wait to see hosting weeks of this guys ,they are really talented art men ...

And a very talented woman.
oh, yeah,sorry it was linguistic mistake!!Nancy  is one of the most talented people in taxidermy I've known since now,plus she is good at biology,genetics,anatomy,animal sciences,etc.

Rainer, bro,Cheri is one of the most respectful people in my life,she has taught me many priceless points,i never forget to remind her!!lots of PMs full of motivational and educative points.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:42:40 AM by bābak » Logged
KMA
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 07:19:49 PM »

This List should display properly on iphone or android screens.  :)

Jan 20 and 27 - byrdman

Feb 3 and 10 - Randy H

Feb 17 and 24 - Jeremy

Mar 3 and 10 - Alan Webfoot

Mar 17 and 24 - Tim Schloss

Apr 31 and 7 - TxOutdoors

Apr 14 and 21 - Yogi

Apr 28 and May 5 Sprigman

May 12 and 19 -  JBird

May 26 and June2 - Rai Red

June 9 and 16 - Birdstuffer

June 23 and 30 - Rick RR

July 7 and 14 -  1/2 way point - Summer Break

July 21 and 28 - RusTax

Aug 4 and 11 - Ryan Rhodes

Aug 18 and 25 -  T Winter

Sep 1 and 8 - FF-Birdman

Sep 15 and 22 - NTX - Waterfowl

Sep 29 and Oct 6 - Duck Norris

October 13 and 20 Glasseye

Oct 27 and Nov 3 Capercaillie

Nov 10 and 17 - Samson (Karin)

Nov 24 and Dec 1 Jay Parke aka idbatman

Dec 8 and 15 - BrookeSFD16

Dec 22 and 29 Igor

Alternate for 2014 is TWinter.  Thank you Terry.

Thanks - Matt

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:09:54 PM by KMA » Logged
alexm
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 08:50:12 PM »

Why not post birds who needs a host. Pull it,up every 2,weeks show your work maybe even wing man will come back

Advantage Taxidermy - Alberta, Canada
KMA
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »

Why not post birds who needs a host. Pull it,up every 2,weeks show your work maybe even wing man will come back

Alex, good to see you back posting. :)  I've really missed you here on the forums. Luckily, I've been able to keep up with you via your Facebook.  Your F/B page is always educational and entertaining.

I don't mean to be out of line, but what exactly is stopping Wingman from coming back and posting here on the bird forums?  I make it a practice not to speak for others but IMO I think folks would love to have both of y'all back. :)
Yogi
Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »

Great job Matt, thanks for the invite.  Later Ryan
KMA
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »

Alex my Canadian friend I sure hope you come back and start posting again. Hell, you know we all long for a return to the glory days that we enjoyed right here on the forums just six or seven years ago.

In regards to your question as to why we need or even have Anchors for the thread:

After JP started and HOSTED the thread by himself for many years he needed a well-deserved break and decided to retire from HOSTING the thread.

The thread set idle for quite a while and no one stepped up to take JP's place. 

Wingman (Eugene Streekstra) stepped in and made a unilateral decision to start a "Birds of the Year" thread but unfortunately it never gained any momentum.  You see Alex, your proposal has already been tried by your best friend, Eugene Streekstra and it simply did NOT work.

After several months of watching it flounder, I began to fear that one of the most important threads on the entire Internet, Bird of the Week, was in real danger of dying a slow death.

BOTW is and has always been very important to me as a taxidermist.  So I STEPPED UP and initiated a proposal that was presented to each and every taxi net member to VOTE ON via a taxi.net POLL.

The current BOTW was voted into existence on a Public Forum by an overwhelming majority.  No backdoor tricks, harassment and misrepresentations like we've seen these last few days. ( I do however have a better appreciation for what it's like to be knocked to the ground by repeated sucker punches and having your ass kicked repeatedly while your "friends" stand around and watch. )

At any rate I tried to find someone to be the facilitator and of course everyone was too busy.  So since I had initiated the proposal the job of facilitating BOTW  was mine, whether I wanted it or not. On the plus side a few brave souls stepped up with me that first year and volunteered to host and they will always have my gratitude.  The GUIDELINES for the current BOTW were painstakingly obtained from Bird Forum Members.  I don't make the rules, I'm just the typist. 

I'm very proud that the thread is ALIVE AND WELL and more popular now than it has ever been...and most importantly run by its members who benefit from it the most.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:55:19 PM by KMA » Logged
alexm
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 07:19:45 AM »

Thanks Matt I'll get my son to set up the computer again. Will try and post a few .
Keep up the good work

Advantage Taxidermy - Alberta, Canada
Tom Mayer
Bronze Member

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 07:43:01 PM »

Only four more day's! I can't wait. I love this thread.
Tom Mayer
Bronze Member

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »

I am looking forward to this so much! I thought it would show picture's today.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Bird of the Week - 2014 Anchor List « previous next »