Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 03:39:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1595752 Posts in 188074 Topics by 42619 Members
Latest Member: danika16hoff
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: getting rid of fleas on coyotes ???? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: getting rid of fleas on coyotes ????  (Read 1843 times)
swb

« on: February 02, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »

Just wondering on my 3rd coyote this year and on all 3 I noticed fleas its 10 degrees here and colder at night dont these things die ? my dog likes to investigate and I dont want any on him or me, this one tonight I am gonna freeze whole but does anyone know something safe to use  THAT i CAN DUST OR SPRAY so I wont hurt the hide before I skin and tan them thanks SWB. :o
Mike Doyle
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 10:42:49 PM »

SWB,

Just put the Coyote in a plastic garbage bag and fog inside with some flea killing Raid.
You can either put the bag in the freezer or just let the Raid do the work. Doesn't take all that long.

Mike

Member Michigan Taxidermists Assoc.
Member Ohio Taxidermists Assoc.
chickenminer
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:45:12 PM »

SWB....
 Boy let me tell you fleas are damn hardy little buggers !! Our Lynx up here in Alaska are loaded with fleas and even if I leave them outside at better than -40 for a week there will still be live fleas when I go to skin them  >:( .
  Take Mike's advice on the Raid. Spray 'em good then stick in the bag for a good amount of time. Forget the ' tender' flea killing stuff .... man you want the baddest most potent Raid on the market  ;D .

Best, Dick
ShedEgo
Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:57:55 PM »

Just get flea and tick stuff for your dog. You put it between the shoulders and it works for a month!
Its not a good idea to let your dog snoop around the dead critters untill they are tanned. There are many many other things worse than fleas that id worry about. parvo, giardia...etc...

~KP~
mark c
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 06:46:53 AM »

for what its worth   i thaw all my yotes in safty acid ,, it works for all the crittes   ticks  fleas and all   then skin and salt   mark c
swb

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 06:57:05 AM »

Thanks again everyone coyote is all good dog is fine too Shedego he does get flea drops but fleas still freak me out I will keep him away thanks again SWB.
Bob Coughlin
Bronze Member

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:33:45 AM »

This post scared the Hell out of me when I saw it. I thought you were going to say you had fleas on a mounted coyote !!!! WHEWWWWW
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »

The fleas will survive no matter how cold it gets, because the host animal -- in this case the Coyote -- was still warm, and still supplied their food source -- blood -- while it was alive.  When you get a mammal in that you suspect has fleas, or you see fleas on it, simply wrap it in a plastic bag, and freeze it solid.  Leave it in the freezer for a few days to a week, thaw it out, and as it thaws, take a regular dog brush to it.  The dead fleas will easily fall away from the fur, and you can skin it without any problems, or the insecticide stink you would get if you sprayed it first.  Remember, the fleas cannot survive on a dead animal, and will look for a new host.  So wrap it up, freeze it, and you will kill them.  Good luck!

John.

Patrick J
Platinum Member

You've got me mistaken for someone else

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 02:08:43 AM »

I spray all of mine prior to skinning with Hearts 2 in one. I can't stand having them things crawl on me and dang sure don't think anyone wants to buy a flea ridden animal. 2 bottles last me an entire trapping season spraying skunks, fox and coyotes

Quick links to other for sale items I have!!

African
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,165600.0.html
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: getting rid of fleas on coyotes ???? « previous next »