Lets see your martens
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 03:35:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1573397 Posts in 184692 Topics by 42031 Members
Latest Member: 777 Ranch
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: Lets see your martens « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Lets see your martens  (Read 10143 times)
RDA
Platinum Member

« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »

For the love of gravy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I believe he was being sarcastic ::) ::)  Now  youve only been told over and over  of how no one is seeing the teeth.  You have provided NO  reference to show this  nor can anyone find one....How many martens have you entered in shows????  Ive seen best in world martens    best of show martens   best of catagory martens....  None  shwing their canines.............Your point is quite lost here...

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GASASS MALINGERERS

In HONOR of Mr SIMON T. BLACKSHAW, ARTIST SUPREME!  1957-2011
chickenminer
Bronze Member

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2009, 06:37:24 PM »

WA...
 I don't have to look up marten pics. I've handled thousands of the little critters. What better reference could I have ?!
  It would not matter a tinkers damn how many pics I post, byrdman is sold on vampire lookin' marten. So be it, but I gotta say it ain't natural
  for a wild marten and to me it looks down right silly!
Bonnie ( Allistair )
Platinum Member

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »

mm gravy!   Perca, great pics... and just to clarify about the ferrets, their teeth don't always show, especially with the small females.  It was easiest to see on the largest male... but sometimes even his teeth are hidden, depending on what he's doing maybe?  I need to get on the floor, on their level, and study them more a little bit. 

Off topic, but is this a toothy fisher?  Or he just have something stuck there that just happen to look a lot like teeth?? :)    I could look at fisher pictures forever, and only find a few like that.  As for the judges are lookin for, I couldn't tell you.

Heres a mink.. Do I see teeth there???? I honestly can't tell.  It's HARD to find a picture of a mink looking up.

DISCLAIMER:  If that fisher above has teeth, then that should be proof that although some animals don't show teeth, some do, and each one is unique and as distinctly different as people are, and with that said:
I am so sorry to report, Byrdman,  but after looking at nearly HUNDREDS of pictures of martens, I found this one of Martes foina (beech marten):

With an unfortunate lack of teeth, but like I said, I still bet a good percentage of martens would show a little teeth FROM TIME TO TIME.  So I aint givin up yet.

I was always under the impression they had those super long canines because of a great deal of them deliver a killing bite to the back of the head/neck. 

Here's a ferret/polecat skull, notice how far the teeth dip down beyond the lower jaw:

Here's the Marten skull:

You can see what I am getting at.  I by no means would retract my statement, but I will admit my side of the argument is not looking quite as nice.  I could keep looking at skulls all day.  Just a little more research and I found one marten skull with slightly longer teeth, who's to say his canines didn't peek out under that lip?  Well, 'sides Ron and everyone else. :)
The OTHER Marten skull.

I honestly am just going to leave it at some animals of one species may, some animals of one species may not... every animal is unique, Just like Wa said.
 but I'd love to know what the judges are looking for.

Call me a dork, but I like to do my homework..... and quite frankly I think the mustelidae is one of my favorite family of carnivores out there. 

[img width= height=]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/dearevolution/mewhalelong.jpg[/img]
Whale for LS, anyone?  http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,131557.0.html
RDA
Platinum Member

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2009, 07:45:48 PM »

Bonnie,  your point is valid and true,,,But  one must remember that yes indeed animals are capable of holding their mouths in as many was as US,  just like US  they prefer to usually have their teeth covered  from exposure to wind  cold  etc....If they lift their muzzle in reaction to their nose doing something  yes  the canines become exposed...as in any other of a thousand instances...  But as you have seen for yourself  its momnetary  and for the most  not often seen....That IS  how a judge would look at it....

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

Bonnie ( Allistair )
Platinum Member

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2009, 07:53:57 PM »

I suppose.  Just from watching ferrets I can tell you some of the hobbs have their teeth exposed a great deal of the time, although you can't tell unless you get on the floor or pick them up and hold them above you, but even then I've noticced with certain poses those teeth will suddenly disappear back behind the lip.  Perhaps I might be guilty of wanting those teeth to be there all the time, quite frankly I love the look of it.   lol

[img width= height=]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/dearevolution/mewhalelong.jpg[/img]
Whale for LS, anyone?  http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,131557.0.html
RDA
Platinum Member

« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »

Im sensing that!!! LOL! :D

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

juli
Bronze Member

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »

If you look at the bottom marten skull, the lower jaw is not placed correctly in the skull...whatever it is called...hinge...

and the upper skull, the mouth looks slightly open...LOL....

I continue to stick with my 'no teeth showing' and if I ever enter a competition with a marten, I will have a photograph SHOWING that the marten's teeth do not necessarily show...

Juli

Bonnie ( Allistair )
Platinum Member

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »

true, just noticced that.  Juli, Your marten looks fantastic!~  You dont need to change a thing.  I'm just debating over little bits right now. 

yukonjeff
Gold Member

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »

I would have to side with Chickenminer,on this one...I have never seen them exposed,with a closed mouth....also remember,a trapper would be a taxidermist worst critic
we see them everyday for 5 months out of a year,....and then on the off season as well.
Perca fluviatilis
Silver Member

...I hunt , therefore I am...

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2009, 01:29:40 PM »

OK, back to the original topic. Here is my latest Martes martes. This marten was a roadkill and was quite a mess. But I managed to make a headmount in the knothole. Not very happy with ears.

Vellu
Bronze Member

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2009, 02:26:28 PM »

Nice work everyone!  this is not marten but ....finishing today

* mink029.jpg (60.18 kB, 597x464 - viewed 973 times.)
chickenminer
Bronze Member

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2009, 04:13:41 PM »

Perca...
 Very nice ... love that knothole mount ! Seems to fit that guy perfect  ;D
byrdman
Platinum Member

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2009, 02:42:26 PM »

rda have entered 2 martens in shows one in state winner(purple) and one in nationals first(blue) both showed teeth also work with ken asproth who is probably one of the best small mammal artists in the country next to winchimuk and he has won numerous multicolor/first/best of shows with marten/fishers(pennant marten) and these all show the tip of the tooth..visited with forest hart who does some excellent work he viewed our work and concurred ......you have to go study live critters rda not pics...when you do this let us know........until then let it rest( ok and whether they hang below the lip line is mute point,I never stated that at all.....just said the tips  will show )
RDA
Platinum Member

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2009, 02:53:26 PM »

::) ::)  Uhhhh  Byrdman,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,There is no one here  that has shown a toothy marten..  Youve had trappers  thatr handle them all the time tell you the same thing...Im willing to bet you spent hours trying to find a picture to prove me wrong ...   Until then,,,,,,,,,,,,,let it rest..... ;D

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

byrdman
Platinum Member

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2009, 04:11:44 PM »

rda....nope... never looked for any pics sorry.... went to zoo to study live before entering comp with martens ...personal observation,which can sometimes reveal more than any pics......like I said before look from directlly underneath....if your mount cant be seen by a judge from underneath or with a mirror then dont worry about it....you probablly cant find such a picture ...and trapped animals make very poor study subjects due to stress....any way rda all I was doing was trying to pass on some helpful info which others and myself have observed take it or leave it....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: Lets see your martens « previous next »