Preserving Driftwood
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 09:23:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1618060 Posts in 191240 Topics by 43230 Members
Latest Member: heatherpatton
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Preserving Driftwood « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Preserving Driftwood  (Read 8372 times)
Artistic Wildlife
Silver Member

« on: February 10, 2009, 08:20:53 AM »

I live within 10 miles of two rivers and I have been collecting my own specimens for mounts, however every thing I find online say to either soak or bake the driftwood and most of the pieces are to large. If I pressure washed them with bleach and allowed to dry, then apply a mate sealer would that be sufficient? I know that only certain pieces will last, that is not my question.

Thanks for the help!!!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:29:53 AM by Artisticwildlife » Logged

Custom Artist
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 11:00:10 AM »

I wonder this too! Also, I wondered if a dip like using olympic deck seal would work? (I have 5 gallons in the garage!)
Artistic Wildlife
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:31:33 AM »

I wonder this too! Also, I wondered if a dip like using olympic deck seal would work? (I have 5 gallons in the garage!)

Well I am going to try it, guess I will do the trial by fire method. I will take pic's let you know how it turns out.

stuffenstuff
Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:33:02 AM »

I drive a cement truck, I always wonder if I throw some  wood in the mixer what would it look like after a while, but the contractors get pissed when sh*t comes out of the drum and down the shoots like plastic bottles, rubber boots, and crap we throw at each other during the day. 

Give the laziest man the hardest job, he will find the easiest way.
Custom Artist
Bronze Member

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »

wow, no one has replyed with any thoughts on if anything works yet!
stuffenstuff
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:17:55 PM »

You really don't have to do anything to the driftwood It will last forever if it's a good piece. your should wash it "pressure washing would be best" let it dry then stick it in a garbage bag with some raid for a day or so. Just to kill any bugs off.

CarlScroggins
Gold Member

Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:49:43 PM »

I use to soak mine in some bleach water to kill bugs and stuff then wash with a hose (I'm sure pressure washing would clean it up better). This would also lighten it up somewhat and I could tint and add shadows or highlights as I saw fit. After that I would seal with a flat or semigloss sealer, depending on the look I wanted.

Sure, I know what I'm doing.
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 05:05:00 AM »

You really don't have to do anything to the driftwood It will last forever if it's a good piece. your should wash it "pressure washing would be best" let it dry then stick it in a garbage bag with some raid for a day or so. Just to kill any bugs off.

I was thinking the same thing.
I have a saltwater river at the end of my street and I get my driftwood there. All I do is spray them with raid to get rid of any bugs, and wash them off the next day.
Some people tumble driftwood with peastone to make them look "polished" but that's it.
Why make it harder than it has to be?

Everyone has an opinion........
BillinSouthernPA
Bronze Member

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 09:45:36 AM »

Be careful with the pressure washer.   if used to close for to long it will make the wood feathery, of lack of better term.   almost suede like.    I had to replace a few boards on my deck becasue I got to aggressive with the pressure washer trying to get a stain out.

When I was big into aquariums I would just soak driftwood a mild bleach solution for a few days so it can really soak in.   Then let sit out and dry. It really dirt I woudl just scrub it with a medium stiffness brush. The bleach solution will kill all algea, bugs, bacteria ect.   Just let it dry for a while before using. Be sure it fully dry. May take several weeks or even months.

stuffenstuff
Gold Member

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 11:10:07 AM »

I took an old fence post in January from work It was about -5 outside I used it on a Black wolf base,  the wolf was standing with one paw on the post. well It wasn't long and there was HUGE hornets all over the place it the house, I think I know where they came from :)  Now I wash and place in a big bag with raid for a day or so and have had no issues.

thetwin

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 05:10:02 PM »

By me it is illegal to pick up driftwood if the DNR cathes you. Might want to check your area so you don't have any problems.

~Heidi~ Giving God All the Glory!!

Doing taxidermy for the glory of God.
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 05:22:47 PM »

By me it is illegal to pick up driftwood if the DNR cathes you. Might want to check your area so you don't have any problems.

That's the first time I've ever herd picking up wood might be illegal. ???

Everyone has an opinion........
Scott Olson
Platinum Member

Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »

That's the first time I've ever herd picking up wood might be illegal. ???
Its illegal in a lot of areas. Wisconsin being one.

al from sc
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 08:28:45 PM »

wow, no one has replyed with any thoughts on if anything works yet!
...I use sanding sealer,,gives the wood a good shine..ususally takes 2 coats,,and the last gallon I bought was 26-00,but it works for me,,
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Tutorials  |  Topic: Preserving Driftwood « previous next »