Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 02:04:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1610261 Posts in 190091 Topics by 43013 Members
Latest Member: Ethan9
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: fleshing knives and beams « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: fleshing knives and beams  (Read 3364 times)
12Point
Bronze Member

« on: January 06, 2007, 08:56:25 PM »

I am going to buy a fleshing knife and beam and had a few questions. First I have thought of building the beam from PVC. well my question is it will be rounded the beams I see for sale are flat is there a reason to use one over the other?Is one bettere than the other, is it easier to cut hide with  a rounded? And The fleshing knifes I see are they basically the same dont want to spend a lot of money, do they all have a dull and sharp side? mand how do you sharpen ? thanks and have a great day!!
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 09:00:26 PM »

In my opinion, the rounded ones leave no sharp edge for the draw knife to get a bigger bite out of.  If it were flat, the knife, which is bow shaped, would get to the edge of the flat beams and produce more pressure againds the knife edge and possibly ctting your hide.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
12Point
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 10:31:45 PM »

Thanks George, also are the knives easily sharpened or am I going to have to buy an exspensive one? also I have a guy that will give me a chunk of 10" pvc will that be too large? thanks again..
Jeff F.
Silver Member

Trust Me!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 10:46:02 PM »

I have the "two in one fleshing knife" which sells in the Van Dykes catalog for $46.99. I never used it because I decided to send my stuff out. I'll sell it for $35.00 which will include shipping to the lower 48. PM me if interested.

Peace. Jeff F.
coon hunter
Platinum Member

Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 01:10:02 AM »

You can make your own fleshing beam easy . The best wood to use is sycamore. Heres What i use woks great.

DRIFT WOOD TAXIDERMY QUALITY WHOLE SALE AND CUSTOMER TAXIDERMY

God is Great Beer is good and , People are crazy .
bill@hogheaven
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 08:05:45 AM »

Call any trapper supply co. they have beams better than anythong you can make, last a lifetime, are shaped right , all for $25.

Hog Heaven
Wholesale Boar Taxidermy
35771 Jackson II Road
Carthage, N.Y. 13619
Rob Coates

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 09:50:20 PM »

The wooden beams you see for sale would have a very slight crown to it with the sides rounded over,they are not flat.You should buy a good wooden beam like Bill said.The one I use is 6" wide tapered to about 3/4" rounded over at the point.The top of the beam will also have a slight taper from the point  down about 12".This shape allows you to put smaller animals on the beam and gets a good portion of the legs on LS work.A large piece of PVC wont do this.
  All knifes are not created equal.As with anything,you get what you pay for.I use 2 different knives,each with it's own "job".A Necker knife,sharpened on the outside edge leave the inside edge alone.This knife does everything but wild boars.They get done with a straight edged draw shave,and yes I do shave skins with it.
  Coon Hunter..Man get beam

Hogheaven Wholesale Hogs
35771 Jackson II Rd. Carthage N.Y
315-493-1405
Shane

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 11:42:40 PM »

I built my fleshing beam out of an old boat paddle.  I cut the handle off, then took my sander and thinned it down where I cut the handle off.  Then I rounded the edges off slightly.  This gives me a wide end and a narrow end for fleshing smaller areas.  Then, I drilled holes and recessed some screws in it so I could put it on my mounting stand.  This allows me to adjust it so I can sit on a stool and not break my back.  It seems to work pretty well, but I haven't used it on anything larger than deer.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: fleshing knives and beams « previous next »