Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2014, 03:07:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1596695 Posts in 188211 Topics by 42648 Members
Latest Member: MrAndersonGCC
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: URGENT!!!!!! Preserving Baby Deer « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: URGENT!!!!!! Preserving Baby Deer  (Read 1712 times)
adbrooks8
Silver Member

« on: February 12, 2009, 06:47:48 PM »

I need to know quickly what is the best way or any way to preserve baby deer.  I just shot a doe that was pregnant with twins.  They are tiny, about 6 inches long and wanted to try to keep them for some kind of mount.  Anybody know of any way?  Thanks for any info.
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 06:49:55 PM »

With them being that small I would say wrap them up tight in  a plastic bag, and put that in another bag and toss them in the freezer. I would say freeze drying would be the best for them seeing how they are so small.

Everyone has an opinion........
Dean
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »

Some kind of mount?  A fetus that small would not survive in the world. It would  not look natural to have it mounted. There really is no hair on them at that early stage of the development. They're  about 3 months away from the normal birthing time. Doing a small dead mount, maybe. It may seem unique and may be cute looking but it isn't a realistic thing that you would see. Good luck skinning and mounting.
Dean
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »

I forgot to answer your question. The thin skin and lack of hair and no fat wll cause it to freezer burn very easily.To keep it safe for now. I'd say to wrap it in a damp towesl, than wrap it in an airtight plastic bag, seal it up and freeze it until you know what you plan on doing with it.
Old Fart
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:32:21 PM »

Throw them in a jar with alcohol, when the alcohol gets cloudy, replace it with fresh. Even freeze dried, they will at best, be a bit GROSS.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
adbrooks8
Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 07:11:01 AM »

I put them in the freezer for now, I'm not sure what I want to do with them yet.  Dean, yes I know they would not survive in the world and I wasn't thinking of mounting them like they'd be hopping around full of life.  I was thinking maybe doing like a scene of the womb with them curled up in there.  It probably is wierd and gross to some but definately unique.
The Ojibwa
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 11:52:41 AM »

Seems like someone somewhere would be interested in a mount like that...if they have no hair or anything maybe you can cast them.

Ask me about custom trapper and bomber fur hats; whole sale turtle taxidermy too!
Cole
Platinum Member

Amateur Taxidermist

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:00:59 PM »

Keep them in a big jar of formaldahyde. Mounting them would look too strange for me.

Cole Cruickshank
Cameron, MO 64429
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: URGENT!!!!!! Preserving Baby Deer « previous next »