anybody use citric acid pickle?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 08:36:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617969 Posts in 191227 Topics by 43227 Members
Latest Member: Ramsey
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: anybody use citric acid pickle? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: anybody use citric acid pickle?  (Read 956 times)
aaron sanders
Bronze Member

« on: March 19, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »

im going to pickle some bobcat skins in citric acid pickle and was wandering if baking soda is best to neutralize them? or bi-carb? what do yall use? and is it best to bring them baack to 4.5 to 5.0 slowly, like over an hours time or can you keep adding baking soda till you get 5.0?
aaron sanders
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 03:06:43 PM »

all this talk on here about acid rot and acid swell has got me wandering if you neutralize the skin after its been acid pickled and mount it ... over time is there some way it still might get acid rot.. even if you brought the skin back to neutral?  should i just be using a safety acid pickle?  i was told that the ciric acid pickle im going to use is great for predators cause it has good hair setting effect and helps break down the non tannable proteins really well.  is safety acid pickle just as good?
psycho
Platinum Member

2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »

I prefer formic and then I went to safetee acid.  I have used citric acid but tome citric acid has to be checks and monitored very meticulously. There are   someday I get shipped out of town for a few days at a time.  Well I can't check the PH if I'm not there.  Therefore 98% of the time when I have hides in safetee acid once I have my ph stable it stays so I don't need to worry about those days I don't get to check the PH.  I'll knock on wood as to not curse myself.  LOL  I have lost hides with citric and more than likely not being able to monitor the ph was a factor.  Citric smells good and taste good (I don't advise you taste yours I use the food grade citric acid powder and then mix it), notice my screen name is PSYCHO!  LOL  The fees associated with Formic and the health issues, I'll stick with safetee acid any day.  Good luck.  Dan

cyclone
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 06:54:44 PM »

im going to pickle some bobcat skins in citric acid pickle and was wandering if baking soda is best to neutralize them? or bi-carb? what do yall use? and is it best to bring them baack to 4.5 to 5.0 slowly, like over an hours time or can you keep adding baking soda till you get 5.0?

Mix baking soda and bi-carb..Throw in a dash of sodium hydrogen carbonate and sodium bicarbonate....

Then check out the link...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baking_soda

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. They are one and the same...

Re-hydrate! It is an important step.

Spell chek.....not jest enother perty button.
muscle20
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 11:34:44 PM »

to prevent acid swell always include 100 grams of salt per litre in your pickle, anytime your skin comes in contact with (acid) salt has got to be present, like scouring( degreasing).As to the question( acid rot) make sure you neutralize the skins well proper ph, but this not a guarantee that skin in the future will not tear apart like wet tissue paper,If you mount the animal it is hard to tell acid rot, because the hide is usually applied in a damp state then is dried hard, fur coats,throws, fur skins hanging on the wall ect. very easy to spot in time, not all skins? thats what is strange? I have fox and coyote pelts that are over 30 years old that show no signs of rot yet. I guess thats why they have fur storage facilities,control of the environment for longer life expectance!Ive taken apart lots of fur coats as soon as I removed the lining skins tore like paper! Yet some not? time will tell I guess, Thats why I chose to stick with a tan with a long shelf life!
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: anybody use citric acid pickle? « previous next »