need help repairing holes!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 09:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1572186 Posts in 184483 Topics by 41992 Members
Latest Member: Dockrat
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: need help repairing holes!!!!!!!!!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: need help repairing holes!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1116 times)
tmoos111
Silver Member

« on: April 23, 2009, 10:58:34 AM »

I need help sewing holes everytime I sew a hole no matter if it is short or long hair I get a little ridge where the hair sticks up. I know this is because I'm getting hair in the stitch but I have tried several different ways and no matter what I do its the same result. can someone please describe to me what your process for sewing is. I also cut a football shape before I start sewing. please tell me if I need to start from the hair side or the skin side and what kind of stitch to use. I have been using the baseball stitch. somebody please help me!!!!!!!!! oh yea pictures are welcome thanks Travis
Uncle Harley
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 11:07:30 AM »

I cut from the skin side so I don't cut any hairs and use the baseball stitch sewn from the skin side as well........try taking hemostats and clamping the hole shut in small sections  so you can tuck your hair through and keep everything ligned up.... go slow and make small stitches.  if your get a little collick you can card it down while wet and that should help a ton.   Next one you have to do take pictures of your process and mabey someone can see what you are doing different that's causing problems

Check out my newest reflective eyes!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iHPa8lLLSo
tazzymoto
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »

Hold the edges together and use a loop stitch,

* fix holes.jpg (24.53 kB, 448x299 - viewed 301 times.)

tazzymoto
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 11:19:08 AM »

Oh yea i forgot , Lay the skin on a flat surface and gently hammer the seam flat!

George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 11:55:01 AM »

I'm with Tazz as baseball stitches just beg to pucker a hide (like they do on a baseball).  The most COMMON mistake made in stitching holes, however, is cinching the thread too tightly.  To prevent that, learn how to make a "lock stitch" and simply SNUG the edges together before looping the "lock" snug as well.  With a lateral cut as Harley describes, the hair above the cut will cover any minute gap you may have left anyway and you won't risk breaking hairs by malletizing the hide.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
bill@hogheaven
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:02:01 PM »

A brass brush is good for combing hair out of stitches.

Hog Heaven
Wholesale Boar Taxidermy
35771 Jackson II Road
Carthage, N.Y. 13619
tmoos111
Silver Member

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »

thanks for the help everyone I will take some pics so everyone has an idea of what is going on. this is really driving me crazy. George do you have any resources on where i can learn to do a lock stich? thanks travis.
Uncle Harley
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »

yeah I forgot to mention that  George that when I do do a baseball stich I don't cinch it super tight just enought to bring the hide together.    A lock stich is a simple single knot to lock it in half way or 1/4 way through or where ever  so it doesn't seperate any  or in this case keep cinching tighter past the knot the further you progress.

Check out my newest reflective eyes!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iHPa8lLLSo
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 07:01:07 PM »

On this tutorial they call it the BLANKET STITCH.  I've always referred to it as a "lock stitch as it keeps the thread from slipping.

http://www.fiber-images.com/Free_Things/Reference_Charts/free_reference_charts_handsewing_stitches.html

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Mark S.
Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »

Also try stiching with a curved needle - Reverse Cut

Mark at Artistic Mounts
OutbackJack
Gold Member

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »

one thing I do is lightly spray the fur/feathers with a little water.  It helps a little.  Make sure you blow it dry later.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: need help repairing holes!!!!!!!!!!! « previous next »