Deodorizing skunk pelt for mounting
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2014, 07:51:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1611983 Posts in 190391 Topics by 43051 Members
Latest Member: skoenen
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Deodorizing skunk pelt for mounting « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Deodorizing skunk pelt for mounting  (Read 6782 times)
Antlersrjs
Bronze Member

God never said Life Would be Fair.....

« on: May 04, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »

A guy shot a skunk this morning and brought it to me. It's my first one. I got info on how to skin it and I like the guy who said if you make a mistake run like hell ;D. I didn't though and every thing went fine but of course the pelt does smell, so I need every ones input if they have time in telling me what the best deodorizer there is for the smell and how to get the pelt clean? I have seen some really nice mounts, where they got the white in the tail almost pure white, and since it's yellowish I would like to get it as white as possible. Any input would be great. I do have some things but they didn't work real well, it's not a real bad smelly skunk but that oil seems hard to break. thanks.

It's all about my Ocicat...or at least he thinks it is!!!!!
Jenni Negaard
TomCat
Gold Member

Tommy B. <(((><

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:09:46 PM »

bucket of water mix in dawn dish soap, baking soda ,and peroxide wash well alllow to soak a few mins then rinse that will kill the smell . as far as getting it white i don't know i will keep an eye here to find out  i have one froze that is yellow like that but smells as good as a skunk can smell lol

it's what you learn after you know it all that makes the difference.
killitnfillit
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:14:50 PM »

Tomcat has the answer. I think as soon as you
get the oils out of the skin and tanned, you should not smell anything. I just mounted one and it seems there may have been a little bit of oil left. I can barely smell a whiff of it if I put my nose near it. Nothing if I'm standing close though.

Rick\'s Wildlife Recreations
617 Waterfall Dr.
Johnstown Pa. 15906
814-242-9859 (cell )
814-254-4694 ( shop)
E-mail: Rpjunkman42@aol.com
Patrick J
Platinum Member

You've got me mistaken for someone else

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 11:15:43 PM »

Spray the crap out of it with Febreeze. I do that to every skunk I sell on here and they get sent with no smell

Quick links to other for sale items I have!!

African
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,165600.0.html
Antlersrjs
Bronze Member

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 12:22:15 AM »

Thanks everyone, I'll be fleshing it tomorrow so I'll try it all. I used to hate skunks but they're kinda cute. They're easy to skin. I was a little afraid of the B-hole-E-O, but it was a stink free process with out any running away. ;D. If any body else wants to put their input in, I'll probably be doing more eventually, so any thing is useful to know for future skunk smell. I love this Taxidermy.net. I always got info off of it but I never joined until Last week. Oh by the way the peroxide must not hurt the black in the pelt than? Could you give me the ratio on your magic skunk potion? I also have a lot of Fe breeze so I can double dose it if I have to. This might take a lot of time but I was thinking of taking some card board and putting it between the white hair and the black and putting a whitening (what I use for bleaching skulls) on it like I did with the Weasel tail (It was really yellow). I might not get it all but I could get the worst of it. I think it's worth a try until some one gives a better idea.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 12:36:44 AM by Antlersrjs » Logged

Jenni Negaard
meopilite
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 01:09:45 AM »

i used to trap skunks... got so used to the smell it dont bother me. Got sent home from school many times.
Patrick J
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 01:59:26 AM »

i used to trap skunks... got so used to the smell it dont bother me. Got sent home from school many times.

LOL
Laughing with you cause I got sent home from school a few times as well.

African
mark c
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 07:54:11 AM »

dose the peroxide wash bleach the black?   or im i missing some thing   some what confused? mark c
Antlersrjs
Bronze Member

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 09:48:31 AM »

I'm a little worried also that it might discolor the black a little also, but I've heard of it being done before I just don't no how much. I got sent home from work one time. I moved to a really small town and lived on the outskirts and there was skunks, lots of them. I walked to work and saw one across the road from me so I got my gun, well after I shot it I just happened to walk right through his spray. I thought I just got some up my nose, well people started shying from me and eventually my boss told me to go change ;D. I thought it was funny.

Jenni Negaard
meopilite
Gold Member

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 10:04:09 AM »

Try using vinegar.
KevinH
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 11:27:58 AM »

Dont hold me to it but I think the peroxide works with the baking sodas to help clean and neutralize the acid that causes the smell.  I also spray mine with this stuff ( http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/101679/odor-out-wild-flower-quart ) after its tanned and right after I mount it I spray it down good before I blow dry it.  Good luck, Kevin

Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Can you skin Griz?
    Jeremiah Johnson: I can skin'em as fast as you can catch'em.
    Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Skin that one pilgrim and I'll get you another!
Antlersrjs
Bronze Member

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »

Thanks, your info is great. I met a Taxidermist today that said to use Woolite for getting the yellow out of the tail and he said that it doesn't bleach the black part so I might try that but he liked my idea (which I mentioned earlier) also and thought I should try my idea but to do it a little at a time. He's retired and he had done taxidermy for years.

Jenni Negaard
Patrick J
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 05:19:49 PM »

If you want to clean a skunk as well as take the smell out you need to wash it in a bucket of 1 gallon of water and 1/2 cup lemon juice along with some shampoo. I would suggest not to stick a raw hide in a bucket of water unless you want to wring it out and put on a stretcher to dry quickly (I even blow dry with an air hose). I am assuming you guys are tanning at home? Just don't see why all the questions until the tanning is done............then worry about the other problems as most may no longer be a problem after tanning

African
Antlersrjs
Bronze Member

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 07:00:17 PM »

Your right. I shampoo the pelts any way after I tan, but I always get as much info as I can before I really get into a project. Thanks again.

Jenni Negaard
TomCat
Gold Member

Tommy B. <(((><

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 07:37:47 PM »

dose the peroxide wash bleach the black?   or im i missing some thing   some what confused? mark c
Dont hold me to it but I think the peroxide works with the baking sodas to help clean and neutralize the acid that causes the smell.  I also spray mine with this stuff ( http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/101679/odor-out-wild-flower-quart ) after its tanned and right after I mount it I spray it down good before I blow dry it.  Good luck, Kevin
Kevin is right together they will alter the sent molecules on a chemical level breaking the scent chain that makes that lovely skunk smell

it's what you learn after you know it all that makes the difference.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Deodorizing skunk pelt for mounting « previous next »