My suggested NTA Scoresheet
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 03:58:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617443 Posts in 191164 Topics by 43213 Members
Latest Member: abiegler
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: My suggested NTA Scoresheet « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: My suggested NTA Scoresheet  (Read 6609 times)
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« on: June 11, 2009, 11:29:47 PM »

Actually, it's not mine.  It's a copy of one of the "original" scoresheets designed by Al Holmes years ago.  After looking at it, I realized that it actually makes more sense than the current one as well as eliminating those silly assed number ratings.  This just shows you that when taxidermists try to "improve" things, they often make them more complicated.

My thanks to John Janelli for sending it to me.

* NTA Scoresheet.jpg (90.5 kB, 1000x692 - viewed 703 times.)

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
psycho
Platinum Member

2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 11:47:36 PM »

George how did they decide on 1st, 2nd and 3rd with those?  Do you know?  I was just kind of wondering.  First time I ever saw one like that.  Thanks for posting it too.  Dan

michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 11:50:32 PM »

Actually, it's not mine.  It's a copy of one of the "original" scoresheets designed by Al Holmes years ago.  After looking at it, I realized that it actually makes more sense than the current one as well as eliminating those silly assed number ratings.  This just shows you that when taxidermists try to "improve" things, they often make them more complicated.

My thanks to John Janelli for sending it to me.

I like that! LOL   Seriously, I do.   But you know that it makes too much sense LOL

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
George Roof
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 12:11:33 AM »

Dan, I can only suppose but I imagine they did it just like they do today: The judge decided which piece he liked the best.  Today they just adjust the final numbers to make it LOOK like what they want instead.  LOL

psycho
Platinum Member

2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 02:12:19 AM »

Thanks George.  ;D

wetnwild
Platinum Member

crunchy

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 05:35:53 AM »

The only problem I see with that sheet is it does not leave any room for the judge to coment or give the competitor iinput as how to improve his deduction, not that they take the time to do it now!
B Jones
Platinum Member

Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 08:26:54 AM »

I like the simplicity of this form George.

Strive to do your best, you have only yourself to disappoint.
Tricia
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:21:37 AM »

I still don't like symmetry being in there.  Like people, animals aren't symmetrical.  If this is really a criteria, then God himself would only get red ribbons.   ;) lol  Not that God would be a ribbon hunter.  Ahhhh, I better stop there before the lightening starts.  LMAO
Old Fart
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 09:52:37 AM »

George, it looks "just like" the one that the NTA used back in the early 80's and before that. WITHOUT the "fatal flaw". The problem is....competitors want to know WHERE the numbers came from, not just pulled out of the judges arse. A score sheet needs to show where the numbers are take away or added on and WHY!  It's easier to accept a deduction when you can see where and why it was done. The current score sheets came about because of all the problems with the old one. Checking a box didn't work because there were mounts that fit in between, thus the score sheets became more complicated and detailed.

The problem with score sheets is that they were arrived at by a committee that was trying to make a fairly uniform format for ALL categories with 100 point totals. Some categories could get by with less than 100 point totals and some should have many more points to cover all the aspects of the mount. The fish guys need to come up with a fish score sheet that works for fish and not worry about whether or not it looks like a bird or head score sheet. And the same with the animal, bird, and reptile guys.  Forget the 100 point total and get a score sheet that works with the mount category and THEN worry about how the numbers compare from category to category.  The current type of score sheet started with 100 point for each and then tried to make THAT work for all the different categories.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:12:54 AM by Old Fart » Logged

Ecclesiastes 10:2
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »

This is going to be a llllooooonnnnnggggg thread!

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
Tricia
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 10:16:46 AM »

This is going to be a llllooooonnnnnggggg thread!

Ya think?  ;) lol
Bill Yox
Forum Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »

Thumbs way down. With the complaints I hear and the suggestions wanted with the current sheets around, this goes backwards. Now hear me out...Id LOVE it, if competitions and life were as simple as that scoresheet was...but it isnt anymore. Thats a good scoresheet for a youth or commercial division.
KAMoHunter
Platinum Member

Proud member of the WVTA

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »

i do not like it at all. all that sheet does is give a relative perspective as to the judges critique.  there is no room to show or exlpain critique. just my opinion

Beer is beer, but free beer is better!

Kris Myers
Mount'n Memories Taxidermy
George Roof
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »

Hard and fast. Down and dirty.  EGO'S DRIVE SCORESHEETS.  Regardless of WHAT IS DONE to them, egos are still going to work around them.  It's either the ego of the judge or the competitor at stake.  If anyone bothered to check, taxidermy was the lone entity which SUGGESTED MULTIPLE BLUE RIBBONS PER CATEGORY.  Nowhere else do you find that.  That was the idea behind that scoresheet.  If a piece was judged "exceptional", it didn't matter if the anus had two more puckers than the next piece.  It got a blue ribbon.

But along came the egos with "me better than you" attitudes.  The decided to USE NUMBERS INSTEAD.  That way if a piece was "exceptional", they had "proof" that their piece was MORE EXCEPTIONAL than another one.  That's led to the degradation of both the judging and the competitions, much like adding money prizes.  "Who has the most toys when he dies wins."  Suddenly, just getting a ribbon is no longer a proud accomplishment.  You now only need to get a BLUE ribbon, you need to get a BOC as well.  Otherwise, you toss the ribbon in a box someplace and don't talk about it.  

That original scoresheet is about as pure as anyone could ask for - providing the judge would have been required to CRITIQUE and EXPLAIN his decision.  The point system was - is - forever will be a farce.  No HONEST person is going to stand up in front of me and tell me to my face that he never makes a decision on a mount from his first impression.  It's simply not in the human genome.  He may, if he's truly objective, downgrade that initial score that came to mind, but often the number at the bottom of the sheet is put there after justifying his original opinion by the numbers in the subcategory areas.  How many of you have overhead a judge remark, "I just don't like the [manikin/pose/diorama/action/eye rotation/grooming/painting/whatever]"???  A true critique should exclude a judges "likes" or "dislikes" and stick to reference.  As Alicia states, symmetry is far overrated. Nothing in nature is perfectly symmetrical. If we can so easliy accept that no two fingerprints are the same or no two snowflakes are the same or no two grains of sand are the same, why is it so difficult to accept that certifiable fact???

In essence, "competitions" went from judges trying to give everyone a ribbon to complete shows not having a single blue ribbon awarded.  Justifying that is both unconscionable and ego driven by a judge who's decided that nothing in the show meets "HIS" standards and with total disregard of Nature's standards.

And Bill, you're wrong.  Life IS NOT COMPLICATED at all.  It's PEOPLE WHO COMPLICATE LIFE.  In Life, you're either alive or dead, no in-betweens.  Can't get any simpler than that.

Tricia
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »

Kudos to me?  I'm changing my name...it appears I gotta get my nic here changed to Alicia.  ;)  I'm so memorable.  Anyway...I've never liked the deductions for symmetry, I've always been vocal about that one.  Unless it's so out of whack that it would be considered rediculous.

You'll never be able to please everyone, that's the only absolute I can find in this discussion.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: My suggested NTA Scoresheet « previous next »