Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 03:54:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1596541 Posts in 188185 Topics by 42645 Members
Latest Member: georgedriver
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: Preserving a snake shed skin « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Preserving a snake shed skin  (Read 2514 times)
mrdux
Gold Member

« on: July 01, 2009, 09:35:56 AM »

What can be done to preserve and display the shed skin of a cobra? I've tanned, freeze dried or skin mounted several snakes but have yet to deal with a shed skin. Thanks!

5 Rivers Taxidermy and Outfitters
SE Missouri duck and snow goose hunts
Yeager1
Platinum Member

Uh-oh, guess what time it is!?

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »

Man I have some that are over a year old that I done nothing too. ??? I don't really know what you could put on them.
mrdux
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 12:11:36 AM »

Comeon Perry, of all the folks here I figured you would have the answer. My 1st inclination would be to layer it between 2 panes of glass, frame it and be done with it.

longnthetooth47
Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 12:29:06 AM »

perhaps tacking it to a board and than a thick coating of sealant?

offering nuisance trapping and skull cleaning services
wetnwild
Platinum Member

crunchy

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:49:26 AM »

aerosol hair spray works great!
Ted79

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »

Greetings! I know that Shed king cobra skin (SKCS) and shed cobra skin (SCS) were investigated for use as barrier membranes, including some pre-hydration factors, for in-vitro nicotine permeation. Inter-specimen variations in nicotine fluxes using shed snake skin were compared with those using human epidermis. Nicotine in the form of 1% w/v aqueous buffer solution at pH 5 and transdermal patches (dose 14 mg day-1) were used. The nicotine fluxes across the shed snake skin were not significantly affected (P > 0.05) by temperature and duration of hydration pre-treatment. Scanning electron micrographs of SKCS and SCS revealed a remarkable difference in surface morphology, but the nicotine fluxes using both shed skins were not significantly different (P > 0.05). When compared with the results obtained using human epidermis, there were similarities in fluxes and permeation profiles of nicotine. Using nicotine solution, the nicotine permeation profiles of all membranes followed zero order kinetics. The amount of nicotine permeated provided good linearity with the square root of time over 24 h (R2 > 0.98) when using nicotine patches. The nicotine fluxes using SKCS and SCS had less inter-specimen variation than those using human epidermis. The results suggest a potential use for SKCS or SCS as barrier membranes for in-vitro nicotine permeation studies.

mrdux
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 10:02:10 PM »

WHAT THE HELL DID HE SAY AND WHAT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH MY QUESTION?

longnthetooth47
Gold Member

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 10:40:59 PM »

all of that has nothing to do with your question and hes trying to show off how smart he is even though hes really being an idiot

offering nuisance trapping and skull cleaning services
burgexc

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 10:49:09 PM »

I teach high school science and have a rat snake shed that I use for an observation lab that I have had for over 10 years. I did nothing to it and it is still in the same condition as when I collected it. I do have a shed from the class corn snake that I have in a plastic sleeve and hung up on the wall of the classroom. It has been there for 6 months and seems fine. The glass mounting option sounds fine too.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: Preserving a snake shed skin « previous next »