gobbling turkey on a roost
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 01:25:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1616925 Posts in 191081 Topics by 43197 Members
Latest Member: skullsnbones1127
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: gobbling turkey on a roost « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: gobbling turkey on a roost  (Read 4391 times)
hunterswoods

« on: September 17, 2006, 09:21:18 PM »

I am getting ready to mount a gobbling turkey on a roost and was wondering how to attach the feet to the limb. So that no one can see the wires attaching it to the limb? I have seen it done and could never get close enough to see how others have done it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!  ???

Thanks!
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 10:00:16 PM »

First off, I use 1/4" all thread through the legs and not wire. When I have the bird sewed up and roughly positioned, I fit the feet to the limb and then drill the holes through the limb. I will use a 1/4" bit and round it our just a bit so the all thread will slide down through. You don't want those holes too much bigger than the all thread. I then take a spade bit big enough around so the washers will fit up in the limb. I drill up in the limb with the spade bit about 1/2". Fit the bird to the limb again and mark your all thread up in the limb with a marker. I leave just enough all thread to fit the washer and nut on it. Pull the bird back off and cut the all thread off. Put the bird back on and tighten down to finish posing and mounting. One tip, put a piece of plastic down before putting the bird back on the limb. This will help keep injecting fluid off your limb and you can go ahead and paint your feet when the bird is dry. When your done painting, loosen your nuts up a bit and pull plastic off, tighten nuts back down and your done, no mess.

Tenbears
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 10:45:05 PM »

as Matt said is basically how I do it. But may I add. that I save a bit of bark from the excess limb I cut off the end, or remove it from an obscure place where it will not be seen. and glue it over the countersinks on the bottom of the limb. Spanish moss also works well in some cases.
Nancy C
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 10:51:43 PM »

I use 6ga wire that is bent over and anchored into a pre-made slot. I cover it with Apoxy Clay (natural color) and paint or texture it as needed. You can also add bits of loose bark or moss if you wish, like Tenbears said, but I can usually match it well enough without doing that.

NickyG
Gold Member

"IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 07:06:46 AM »

What i like to do for a gobbling turkey mount on the roost is to first make sure you have a heavy gauge wire to support this surprisingly heavy bird (even mounted)...Then, just drill your hole on the roost branch, and secure next to wire(in same hole) a screw or 2 in each to "lock in" the mount, then trim off excess with a dremel cut-off wheel...Make sure you wear goggles because those wheels are excellent, but they tend to "explode" every now and then!!!!     ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 10:38:33 AM by Ken Edwards » Logged

Nicholas R. Glorioso, Owner of Glorioso Wildlife Mounts, New York  (802) 733 2590 CELL Professional taxidermist of 16 Years!
WWW.ELUSIONCAMO.COM
damon kustes
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 06:22:44 PM »

Ok some of you guys will not like this but....

out of desperation I discovered that after the feet dry hard you can screw a dry wall screw through the webbing of each foot.Then use your artistic talent and mold epoxy over the screws. After you paint it the customer will never know.
BeckyBird
Platinum Member

My Baby Bluebirds

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 09:18:19 PM »

Question about the 1/4" rod.....how do you bend it? I have not tried the threaded rods yet, but I have always heard they are tough to bend.
trophybirds.com
Gold Member

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 09:49:54 PM »

"Question about the 1/4" rod.....how do you bend it?" its a pain and also trying to run it down the back of the leg can be a nightmare.i use 3/16 and a threader to put threads on it after it has been run down the leg.never had a problem with this size being too flemsy.fyi 3/16 is 6 guage wire..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 11:48:59 PM by trophybirds.com » Logged
JLTHUNTER

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 10:31:58 PM »

I always use #6 gauge wire. I bend it over and secure wire so it will not move. I then cover it with moss or extra bark.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: gobbling turkey on a roost « previous next »