Soft Taxidermy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 11:18:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1573237 Posts in 184673 Topics by 42026 Members
Latest Member: Largeteau143
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Soft Taxidermy « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Soft Taxidermy  (Read 7473 times)
Belladine

« on: August 05, 2009, 04:15:57 AM »

I am completely new to taxidermy, and I though I'd try my hand at soft taxidermy. The problem is that I noticed that there is a lack of information on this particular form of taxidermy, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a tutorial? Or if someone could be a mentor? I need to know the tools and supplies involved, and where I can buy quality pelts from.

Sorry if this seems scatterbrained, it's very late here!  :P
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 06:25:01 AM »

I'm not sure if when you say  "soft" you are talking about what they are calling "plush" ??? But if you are this should help.
Contact leopardpaws, she can help you.
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,161042.0.html

Everyone has an opinion........
Hilary B.
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:22:52 AM »

I hate to sound blunt or rude in saying this, but I'm going to be honest...I'm getting tired or people coming on this forum from DeviantArt asking about the taxidermy plushes.

First of all, Binx390 is the one that created them. So contact her about them.

Second, I really think people need to read and learn about TRADITIONAL taxidermy BEFORE trying to make the "plushes". The plushes are nice, but they aren't really a respectable form of taxidermy (in my opinion) and I've made and sold them before. Essentially, you're making a stuffed animal out of a pelt, I don't really consider it "mounting".

I think that people interested in these should take the time to figure out the traditional rigid taxidermy FIRST before trying to do this. Because if you can figure out the regular forms of taxidermy, you can figure out the plushidermy.
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:26:52 AM »

WOW Bangle, wake up on the wrong side of the bed? ??? Yes it's different, but it's an art and that is what we do. Some people just want to do something different.
Look at the antler art, or burning on skulls,....is it art? Yes. Is it traditional taxidermy? No. But we welcome them and don't say anything about what THEY consider art.

Hilary B.
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:34:45 AM »

I didn't say that I didn't like it or that I didn't consider it art. After all Binx390 is a close personal friend, and I have made a handfull of my own plushes, and will be selling about 30 of them with Binx this year at the Texas Renaisance Festival. So, there was no disrespect meant towards the plushes.

I just think they are becoming a fad or a trend among the young people on DeviantArt, and in my honest opinion, I think if you want to learn about the taxi plushes, you should learn about the rigid mounting process FIRST. After all, with any artform, you have to learn the basics and essentials before you deviate from the original to be what you're saying is unique. It's like painting the color wheel in art class before you can go on to paint a portrait.
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 07:38:10 AM »

I see what your saying, but doing a the rigid type of taxidermy way not be what the want to learn. Just like the other art forms I mentioned, they don't want to be taxidermists but they use animal parts in their art.
Hope I made sense, it's still early :D

Hilary B.
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:43:26 AM »

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from 100%. And if that's what they want to learn about, then so be it. I'm just a firm believer in thinking that a person should study and know the background and history of where something came from and how it began.

It's like a potential oil painter studying the techniques and methods of the master oil painters to learn how to paint before one goes off to make their own style.
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 08:04:08 AM »

It depends on what look they are going for. If they want it to look realistic, I agree they should be learning ALL they can about the anatomy of the animal they are working on. But if they just want a cute stuffed pillow looking thing it wouldn't matter.
But I see where your coming from ;)

Helltigress
Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 09:29:43 AM »

On a side note Binx didn't create them.  I think she was the first to make them popular/sell them them though.  I had seen them and even made a few myself before I even new DA existed.

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts."
Helltigress
Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:31:24 AM »

Belladine, you can PM me if you're interested in knowing how I made them.

"Success is not final; failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts."
Wildside
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 09:47:39 AM »

I'd also like to know how you make a "Plush Thingy",  just so I know what the heck they are.
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:48:48 AM »

Wildside click on the link I provided. There are a few pics in it.

Helltigress
Silver Member

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:53:04 AM »

I PMed you back Wildside.  I'll tell you exactly how it's done.  Feel free to ask!  Your talent will determine how good it comes out!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:28:15 AM by Helltigress » Logged

Gatorjaw
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:24:52 AM »

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from 100%. And if that's what they want to learn about, then so be it. I'm just a firm believer in thinking that a person should study and know the background and history of where something came from and how it began.

It's like a potential oil painter studying the techniques and methods of the master oil painters to learn how to paint before one goes off to make their own style.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 I think that this is what Belladine was trying to accomplish. And just because we are on here all the time doesn't mean we own this forum, it is here for all to use, especially newcomer's. Because we hold all the answers that they need. As a matter of fact, I believe this particular thread is for biginners. Wouldn't be horrible if what you posted discouraged this person from persewing their interest. Sometimes we have to stop and think about what we say and post, and how it may effect someone. And sometimes the best thing we can say is nothing at all. But who am I to say anything, I'm not a moderator! This is just the ramblings of a madman.LOL!
PLTannery
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 10:41:15 AM »

Welcome to the beginning of a fad!

Everyone will try it, Some will try to sell them, some will be horrible, some will be amazing, some will try to undercut the competition, Some will succeed, some won't...  Unless someone gets a Patent or US copyright or something there's not alot anyone can do....   The idea is simple, A traditional taxidermy head with a soft stuffed body. So yes I agree, This is the best place to learn the traditional taxidermy part of this art, with its wealth of information, great tutorials and great people.

BUT a word of advise to those looking for information by just asking.... It IS Definatly in your best interests to research the traditional mounting process of the species you want to make into a plush.. Then when you have some specific questions ask them... Don't just ask... "How do I mount a fox?"  We, forum members, Really like you to do your research and use refrence. Specific questions are WAY more likely to get a specific answer.

Good Luck and Have fun... Taxidermy is an art, not an instant processes.  It does take time and dedication to produce a quality product.

Shelby

Your Source for quality Taxidermy Specimens, Plushables, Buckskin, Crafters supplies, Skulls and Antlers.
Offering Custom Tanning services and more.

Promise Land Tannery
228 Cameron Lake Loop Road
Okanogan, WA 98840
(509) 422-3814
www.promiselandranch.net
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Soft Taxidermy « previous next »