Bobcat rug
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 06:06:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1631739 Posts in 193602 Topics by 43717 Members
Latest Member: nctmjeffco
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: Bobcat rug « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bobcat rug  (Read 2004 times)
J P Baker
Platinum Member

« on: October 01, 2009, 12:00:45 AM »

Here is a Bobcat flat rug my wife just finished.

Sometime back I had a Bobcat that had slipped on the ears and and did not want to waste the hide, So me and the customer talked about what to do. We got an idea from looking at the Zebra rugs with flattened heads laying in the shop. I did his cat and thought it looked odd but before he could come pick it up, someone else noticed it and asked if I could do that with theirs. I have been doing them ever since. What do you think?

* Bob flat rug.jpg (75.79 kB, 591x480 - viewed 1479 times.)
Mary Krueger (rugmaking)
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 07:13:45 AM »

Looks good! Such a nice skin, glad it didn't go to waste. I have done many flat rugs this way over the years, usually for the reason you initially stated, foreseeable problems with mounting the head. Working on a flat skin African lion rug next month. I would recommend you use a little less border visable for such a small specimen, as a wide border takes away from the focus on the cat and will make the cat appear smaller, IMO.

Kind Regards,
Mary

Mary's Wholesale Rugmaking halflingrugger@cox.net
Jerry Huffaker
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:35:32 AM »

Looks good John, but I'm with Mary, the border is too wide, and I would like to see the felt pinked with a scalloped edge.
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 04:35:43 PM »

I agree, it looks nice!  A good fix to a problem without just turning the customer away.  Also agree about the border.  Pick up a pair of "Pinking Shears" -- Wal Mart, JoAnns Fabrics, etc. -- and use them around the edge of the felt border to trim it down and give it a nice scalloped edge.  Nice rug!

John.

bill@hogheaven
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 04:38:16 PM »

How do you get the head to lay flat? I really do like the look of it for something different.

Hog Heaven
Wholesale Boar Taxidermy
35771 Jackson II Road
Carthage, N.Y. 13619
J P Baker
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »

Thank you for all the comments.

I agree with you all, it looks to wide on the felt and it needs a scalloped edge. We normally do a pinked edge but this customer requested a straight edge. In person the width of the felt is not as bold as in the photo, but after seeing it in the photo, we are going to cut it down before he comes to pick it up.

Bill,
Getting the head flat is pretty easy.

We soak the hide up and sweat it over night then prep like normal. When you do the ears split them all the way, separating the front from the back, completely removing the inner and front of the ear. This helps lay them flat.
We sew the eyes shut. Stretch the hide and nail it to the table, we use the turned part of the lips for nailing and trim them off later. I hope this makes sense.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 06:58:18 PM by J P Baker » Logged
bill@hogheaven
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 07:30:03 AM »

Makes perfect sense.

Hog Heaven
Wholesale Boar Taxidermy
35771 Jackson II Road
Carthage, N.Y. 13619
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: Bobcat rug « previous next »