Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2014, 11:21:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1603770 Posts in 189157 Topics by 42814 Members
Latest Member: Jyoung1780
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: rare birds « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 125 Print
Author Topic: rare birds  (Read 208486 times)
Peter Span
Platinum Member

Corvids, gotta catch them all!

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 03:45:59 PM »

So now you got a whole flock of them  :o ;D

Corvids rule!
snowhare
Platinum Member

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »

Here is sommething realy frigging rare

A TAXIDERMIST WITH BRAINS  ??? ??? ??? ???[/color]

lee, tees valley
Platinum Member

tweety luvva.

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 03:49:46 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
francois
Gold Member

Parrot collector

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 04:00:50 PM »

come on guys we want to see photos no poems
jsbirds
Gold Member

I think I can, I think I can...

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 07:25:33 PM »

JBird Your birds I would kill people for :'(
falco
Gold Member

Trapping is fun

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 11:18:52 PM »

JBird,,, dont show off those birds,, dont make me hate myself more , PLEASE.
 ;D,,,
by the way I have mounted a regular short-toes eagle (snake eagle) many years back,, but yours is alot neater looking.
I like this thread... amazing birds , from everyone.. stunning.

I have to start a thread about : Illegal specimens,,, then I can post some stuff too,, ;D ;D ;D
I do alot of endangered animals and birds,,, but not as rare as those you guys are touching.
wow...

falco
Gold Member

Trapping is fun

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 11:31:52 AM »

Francois, thanks for the compliment. I have mounted a lot of parrots, but nothing compared to what you have.
I was really bothered by the lack of good parrot eyes so I finally got desperate and figured out how to paint my own.
I start with acrylic bird eyes of the right size, strip them with lacquer thinner, hand paint the pupil and then airbrush the rest. The bare skin around the eyes and the eyelids are entirely replaced with sculpting epoxy.
The best parrot eyes I have done so far are on a very common type of conure. It was good practice in case I ever get the chance to work on something really special.

None of the "skin" around her eyes is real. It's all epoxy. (Sorry for the repeat - I know I have posted this photo before.)

Nancy,,, dont you get a blurry look on your acrylic eyes when you remove the original paint with laquer thinner ?
Becasue I once tried that,, and wasnt quite happy.. or maybe I didnt know how to do it !!!!
also what airbrush paint did you use for painting it again.?
I have had weird experiences with acrylic eyes,,, one time I cleaned the over spary off of Euro eyes on a bird,, (it cleaned perfect),,, but after when I tried to put a drop of Acrylic gloss on it to give it that nice live-look,, the acrylic gloss was beading off of the eye,, and didnt stick to it.. wierd ? and I waited over night,, tried again,,, same thing...
Nancy C
Platinum Member

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 12:01:41 PM »

Falco, I have seen them get sort of hazy looking but I just ignore it because the final coat of Liquid Crystal makes it go away.
I use lacquer paints and lacquer-based Liquid Crystal.
Because I have a hard time being rock steady with an airbrush, I have improvised a method that works for me when doing eyes with more than one color.

First I strip the eyes and then hand paint the pupils. (I press the eyes flush into a flattened bed of oil-based modeling clay to hold them still while I paint them.) It usually takes me several tries to get two eyes that match, so I normally do several pairs at once.
Once the pupils are painted I take a piece of flat, stiff plasic, like a lid from a coffee can, for instance, and then drill a small round hole in it. It will take some experimenting to figure out the best size of hole but it has to be pretty small for a bird eye. I like to err toward too small rather than too big.
I center the hole over the pupil and spray in the color which will surround the pupil, keeping as close to a square angle as possible. It's like using a stencil.  Once that is done I remove the plastic and finish up with the color which will be closer to the edge.

I keep telling myself that there must be a better way, because it IS tedious, but at least it works.

falco
Gold Member

Trapping is fun

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 02:19:53 PM »

appreciate the explanation Nancy,,,it sure works great for you,,, just looking at that eye on that parrot explains it all,, its so original.
good job.
Thanks.
(I think Im going to switch to lacquer base paints too,, easier over all,,, I used to use thinned down commercial oil paint in small cans from paint stores before I started the Hydromist,,)
taxos
Platinum Member

Finches, Buntings

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 02:39:26 PM »

cool idea Nancy! its always difficult to get the correct eyes for exotics....`hello, id like to order a pair of eyes for a spikey cheecked honeyeater.....errr....yeah-----....
francois
Gold Member

Parrot collector

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 04:33:01 PM »

nice eagle never seen before.
very special lorie, blue loirie ( Vini Peruviana

* vogel 107.jpg (52.69 kB, 404x538 - viewed 2392 times.)
francois
Gold Member

Parrot collector

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 04:37:57 PM »

sorry again a parrot,
Kea from New Sealand

* vogel 101.jpg (54.65 kB, 416x555 - viewed 2520 times.)
John C
Platinum Member

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 10:08:08 PM »

Just gotta say wow  That Kea is awesome.. Wish I could get the breeders to turn loose of nice birds like some of those!!!!1
taxos
Platinum Member

Finches, Buntings

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 08:37:22 AM »

nice birds bowerbird. Francois, that macaw is rare indeed! :P

heres another one for our online New Zealand-museum  a very old Tui. I will restore it this winter, when its cold outside and even colder in my workshop!

* tui.jpg (50.88 kB, 512x384 - viewed 2494 times.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 10:26:51 AM by taxos » Logged
francois
Gold Member

Parrot collector

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 11:05:34 AM »

Yes finaly an other parrotcollector, two paradiseparakeets i like that very much bowerbird. And ofcourse the other birds are very nice.Where are you from?
Taxos you have something nice to rebuild and the black sijs looks vermilair to me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 125 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: rare birds « previous next »