Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 07:38:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1609471 Posts in 189966 Topics by 42998 Members
Latest Member: ExTax
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Habitat and Exhibit  |  Topic: how to get that old barn wood look??? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: how to get that old barn wood look???  (Read 9958 times)
ryhunter

« on: October 12, 2009, 01:35:31 AM »

I have some old barn wood that has been sitting in a shed for years, but instead of the grayish look it has to it, it is a real light brown, looks more like just everyday wood. was real dirty and dusty, i cleaned it off real good and it just doesn't have the same look as some of the pieces that laid on top of it..   anything or tricks i can do to these pieces of wood to make them look like others??
Sikk
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:21:06 AM »

weather and exposure to sunlight cause the look, you may be able to force it by trying to bleach it lightly, I would try different concentrations of bleach on small scraps to see what effect they produce. You may also alter the color then with a transparent  spray on stain after the wood is thoroughly dry. paul
lee, tees valley
Platinum Member

tweety luvva.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 01:45:14 PM »

sand blast the wood.. 8)
Nancy C
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:36:37 AM »

I have been able to fake it reasonably well by starting with new lumber and then using a wire brush mounted on a drill to "age" it and bring out the grain. I'm sure that sandblasting it would be even better, but I don't have a sand blaster. After it had been textured I stained it with a Minwax stain called "Driftwood" and then lightly airbrushed it from an angle using Payne's Gray to shade it a bit.

Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 11:04:26 PM »

You can have a stain tinted to acheive those results. I can't remember what it was called, but you could take a sample in of what you are looking for and they could match it for you.

J Brown II
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:43:57 PM »

For the life of me I can't remember the name of it but there is a chemical or acid that will age wood instantly. I saw it a few years back on the Furniture Guys Show. Just found this

Creating the Wood Aging Solution

To age new wood to a natural silvery grey, to grey brown or black patina (depending on the wood) , let a small piece of steel wool sit overnight in ordinary white vinegar, then dilute the vinegar solution 1 to 1 with water. (If you used cup of vinegar, add cup of water.) Test the result on a piece of scrap wood to determine if the aged finish is the correct color, if not, for darker solutions, leave the solution to sit longer, or add a bit more vinegar, and test it again. Solutions which are too strong produce very dark coloration. They will need more water added to dilute them before you test again. When the solution produces the desired effect, brush it over fresh wood to create an instant greyed patina. This is a great way to create barnboards, use with wire brushed balsa to create a thatched effect, or to create weathered shingles or fence posts.
Killn Time
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:10:23 AM »

That sounds like a great tip. I will just add, get some pine and get a belt sander and put some 60 grit in it and go across the grain at about a 45 degree angle to replicate the marks left behind by the saw blade. It is really effective. I will definitely try the steelwool,vinegar, water tip.

I don't stick my head up a cows ass to check the steaks I take the butchers word for it.
J Brown II
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 12:22:53 AM »

Hell it can't hurt!  ;D
roostinridge
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 09:56:19 PM »

maybe some inexpensive latex paint thinned with water,dryer the wood the more coats make paint just a little firmer than water

Tim Duncan
Platinum Member

surry county va

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 06:52:34 PM »

the sun will help
NOAH@aarrkk
Gold Member

Like to swap fish blanks? E-mail me.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 08:07:47 PM »

Seems I read a model railroad magazine article about using diluted India ink to create the 'grey' color of aged wood.

We 'NOAH' the creatures & the Creator!  Jerry
wetnwild
Platinum Member

crunchy

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 11:42:30 AM »

Gray automotive primer. Let it dry then sand lighytly with oo-steel wool. Looks terrific
Bobbi Meyer
Platinum Member

I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 09:23:14 PM »

is pickled wood the word you're looking for?

Greg Livbucks
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 09:32:33 PM »

Wire wheel it to remove some of the cellulose from between the grain and then lightly go over it with a torch to darken the grain and cause graying. If you burn it too much, it will just look like burnt wood, which isn't what you seen to be looking for, so be careful.
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 09:34:04 PM »

In my other life of building rustic furniture, I used a recipe similar to what J. Brown listed.  I took steel wool and let it soak in muriatic acid.  I "stressed" the wood with a grinding die and a wire wheel, then painted the muriatic acid solution on the board for an instant gray.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Habitat and Exhibit  |  Topic: how to get that old barn wood look??? « previous next »