dry preservative
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 06:17:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619743 Posts in 191535 Topics by 43289 Members
Latest Member: BobnJake
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: dry preservative « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: dry preservative  (Read 2294 times)
Old Fart
Platinum Member

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 08:29:04 PM »

Over 20 years ago, a friend of mine had a taxidermy supply business and was considering marketing his own brand of DP. he had all the brands on the market analyzed for comparison to what he was formulating. I saw the report, although I don't recall the exact numbers, they were pretty close to what I'm going to list.

Talc  40-80%
Borax 10-30%
Salt
Aluminum Sulphate
Naphtha flakes
Salt
Red, white, black pepper
Misc small amounts of other good stuff

Make your own? Why not! It appeared that a combination of all, some, or most of the above will do the trick nicely. Or just use Borax.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
tobo

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 04:38:55 PM »

Tobo, aluminum sulfate is commonly called "alum".  It is used in water purification and is the primary ingredient in antiperspirant (deodorant).  A good combination would be 40% powdered borax, 40% unscented talcum powder, and 20% alum.

Thank you
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: dry preservative « previous next »