Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 10:00:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1605161 Posts in 189336 Topics by 42855 Members
Latest Member: ShawnNicole
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Air skinning a coyote? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Air skinning a coyote?  (Read 4635 times)
Ongaku
Bronze Member

Nut Sack

« on: December 20, 2009, 01:36:42 AM »

Okay was looking at vids for skinning a yote and came across this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO6xV_YC7pU dunno if its real. would you risk bustin the inner skin and having it bleed all over the pelt or would it miss spots? how realistic is this? ::)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 04:37:31 AM by Ongaku » Logged

Yes, that is a surfboard.
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 04:30:34 AM »

I'll stick with a scalpel and a little pulling. I'm not saying it can't be done, but around here it WONT be done.

Everyone has an opinion........
Ongaku
Bronze Member

Nut Sack

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 04:35:58 AM »

more of a joke thing ya? the guy bust out laughing at the end. i thought they might have done it as a joke and then just edit to a clip of them skinning the old way.

mark c
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 04:41:52 AM »

at times i use a air tool. the thing is a air chuck with a brake line attached to the end about 8 in long. ive got a very big compressor. i crank it up to 150 psi and cut a small insission into the cats/yote back. stick the line in and let r go .  its not going to skin your cat   but it dose seperate  the skin from the hide, i only use that method once in a while as its just as fast for me to skinn with a 22 scaple. if you get a cat or a yote for that matter  that is "dry"  then is a good way to get it started, by dry i mean  the thing either hasnever been frozen or wet    i wouldnt nvest in the air tool or the hole concept of aie skinning.. mark c
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 04:43:34 AM »

more of a joke thing ya? the guy bust out laughing at the end. i thought they might have done it as a joke and then just edit to a clip of them skinning the old way.

Actually I have heard of people doing it that way, and I think there is an air fleshing tool that can be bought. It's just not something I'm interested in.

mark c
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 05:32:28 AM »

Bob its fun to do .. yur cat has a head on him the size of a moutain lion  , but in some cases it dose help when the thing is dry,, cant really explain that well but   i guess stickey between the meat and fur. then it helps a lot , but othrer wise im just cutttin away, mark c  ps im tryin to work om ny spellin and gramer for george ,
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 05:38:02 AM »

lol I don't care about spelling. I'm not a grammar teacher :D
Like I said, I think I'll stick with the scalpel.

elkhunter1313
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 08:15:45 AM »

The guy was laughing at the huge air fart at the end...looks like something to be tried at least onmce...just to see if it does indeed work...coyotes are a dime a dozen

King of Krowtann: 10 year user and still going strong!!!
mark c
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 09:00:02 AM »

the other thing is called     the wizard  bill at hog heaven has one and they demo it at the show a year ago. 1700.00 to 2300.00 by the time your done   but the air skinner is a little tool they are selling around 120.00 that suposed to skin without a knife,, OK!!!!!!!thats like a chizel i spose. the idea is to inject enough air into and area to seperate the skin from the body   WELL its fun my way   you can blow that thing up so it looks like barry bonze or any other base ball player... what makes it helpull is when you have a sticky skin or i prefur to call it dry. then the air works like a dream , blows that thing up 2 x the sze its fun and every one including   - - 0 - g - e should try it  lovey day yall  mark c
captainjko
Bronze Member

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 09:05:57 AM »

I have done this with deer before...A few years ago my brother told me he had an older man tell him that " he sold a goat to two mexicans and they wanted to kill and clean it at his house"...He said "sure"...He said," one guy jumped on th goats back and twisted its neck"...Goat fell over...Then they asked if he had an air compressor...He let them use it...A small hole was cut in the back of the neck ..air nozzel inserted...and poof..it swelled up...they skinned it in just a few minutes....So we thought we would try it but my brother thought it may be a joke...I looked at him and said, " if its a joke,we wont tell anyone"..We done it and it worked....We stopped applying air when it looked like is was about to pop...
MLP
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 10:14:36 AM »

I've tried the air pressure thing to separate the skin and it does help some.  However if the animal has been shot, gutted or has any cuts the air escapes and it won't do any good.  The one area I think it does help is when you have a frozen specimen that is taking a long time to thaw.  Once it has softened up a little, the air pressure will pop the skin loose from the carcass and make skinning easier.  Its a good trick to know for certain circumstances, but generally, its still faster with a good sharp scalpel.

I do very much believe we are to hate sin and love the sinner. We just need to also understand that the sin I hate the most should be my own and the sinner I love the most should be the one who has sinned against me.
bill@hogheaven
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 10:32:20 AM »

Mark c you have me confused with someone else. Ive never heard of this wizard thingy, Im pretty sure we dont have one. LOL

Hog Heaven
Wholesale Boar Taxidermy
35771 Jackson II Road
Carthage, N.Y. 13619
elkhunter1313
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 10:48:39 AM »

i do have an air compressor...any nozzle will work? i need a better hose though...sickly yellowish one that came with it is not good enough

King of Krowtann: 10 year user and still going strong!!!
Ongaku
Bronze Member

Nut Sack

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 04:05:33 PM »

what about distortion of the skin? ??? id be afraid of it tearing a hole or something. Also does it even get around the face or does it stop about the neck area? for the price of a tool id either stick with a normal nozzle or just scalpel it. I mean I guess if you're in certain situations its good.

Uncle Harley
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 04:11:03 PM »

a regular locking chuck and a football needle will work.   done it with deer.

Check out my newest reflective eyes!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iHPa8lLLSo
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Air skinning a coyote? « previous next »