whitetail nose splitting and fleshing
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 10:22:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1632240 Posts in 193682 Topics by 43733 Members
Latest Member: trapper willie
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: whitetail nose splitting and fleshing « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: whitetail nose splitting and fleshing  (Read 963 times)
skullplate

« on: December 23, 2009, 11:39:40 AM »

i have been practicing on several capes that i get from my euro jobs and i do everything good except when i get to the nose it all goes downhill from there. any suggestions anybody?
HAPP Mark S.
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:58:56 AM »

for a beginner, insert a tapered fleshing cone in a nostril. Start splitting the muscle. Remove most of the meat. Salt or pickle as per your tanning method. After it is plumped, shave thin.

I do all my splitting with a Mini Flesher, but years ago I did it by hand.
joeuhuh
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:20:11 PM »

is ur proob spliting the nostril or getting the bulk  cartilage out the nose so u can split the nostril?
jnc
Silver Member

Love, Laugh.......Live!

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 12:47:22 PM »

LOL.... I had that issue when I first started out.... ended up with a 'glob' of rubbery fleshy 'stuff that was hard to determine where the skin started or ended........ very frustrating!  What I do now is split the cartilage between the nostrils, work the cartilage up off the wings, then place a finger in a nostril and with my scalpal, work my way around the opening.  (This allows me to 'feel' how close I'm cutting - even with my gloves on.)  Slice the flesh carefully away from the inner nostril skin until you can just about see through.  Work the flesh away from the nares until you reach the 'easy' fleshing areas where there's a clear differance between skin and flesh.  Once you've reached this point on both nostrils, you've got it!  Good luck - it gets easier the more you do!

JNC Taxidermy
17 Page Rd
Livermore Falls, Me 04254
207-897-4611
skullplate

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 02:17:28 PM »

thanks to all of you
nofiveo
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »

check the tutorial section .. Tazzymoto has a video in there step by step how to do it.

there are 3 kinds of people in the world, those that learn by reading, the few that learn by observation, and the rest hafta pee on the electric fence for themselves.

http://www.myspace.com/nofiveo1        Three Rivers Wildlife Art
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: whitetail nose splitting and fleshing « previous next »