Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 15, 2014, 10:56:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1609044 Posts in 189903 Topics by 42987 Members
Latest Member: smiti22
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Dry preservative? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dry preservative?  (Read 8069 times)
mike w
« on: September 01, 2006, 01:25:26 PM »

was wondering can i use dry preserve on a bobcat? and then just mount it or do i still need to tan it? thanks for yalls time
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 09:49:31 AM by Ken Edwards » Logged
D. Matthews

Taxidermist, Paramedic, Family man

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 05:45:40 PM »

Mike you can use DP if you so wish and if you do then you won't tan but i would recommend tanning. it will give you a longer lasting mount and in my opinion it gives the hair a much softer look and feel and with some of the in shop tans that they have today I feel that it's just as easy to do as it is to DP. It's up to you I know some people that all they use is DP and have great results. You will hear both sides of the story so you just need to make up your own mind
fesekula
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 05:58:50 PM »

Mike W, You will be just fine with a dry preservative. My question is why would you tan after DP. Use one or the other. I have mounts over 20 years old that look like the day they were mounted up with DP.

"I Hunt because the voices in my head tell me to"
mike w
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 10:47:58 PM »

thanks ya'll wish me luck that it will still look like  some sort of cat...  lol
mike w
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 11:13:53 PM »

one more question,after salting your cape (deer) than leave it out to dry, for mounting later whats the best way to rehydrate the cape. ? thanks again for yalls time i know us newbees can get old after awhile...
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 10:17:41 PM »

Mike:

There are several recommended methods for re-hydrating a salt dried hide.  Check out the archives on the old site to learn what others do.  I re-hydrate mine in a brine solution...1# salt/gallon of water.  Some people use clear water.  Theoretically, adding salt to this re-hydration is not necessary, since the hide is already salted...its just insurance for me.  I have had to leave large hides in this solution for 48 hrs to get them to loosen up.

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
Tenbears
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 05:05:40 PM »

Mike, you also need to be aware that it is very impractical to salt and dry a cape then rehydrate it, and mount using DP. That is not to say it cannot be done. however the hide will have very little stretch, and you will find it near imposable to get a needle through it. once salted, tan that cape.
mike welch
Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 10:35:25 PM »

thanks once again for ya'lls advice you all will be blessed for your shareing...   mike

if it wasnt for a hobby, I'd be in trouble
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Dry preservative? « previous next »