California Taxidermy Question
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 27, 2014, 07:16:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1633628 Posts in 193915 Topics by 43771 Members
Latest Member: Rick G
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: California Taxidermy Question « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: California Taxidermy Question  (Read 3353 times)
klstet21
Silver Member

« on: January 06, 2010, 03:17:37 PM »

I am new to taxidermy and have been doing some research on line and on this forum. I'm sorry if this is a re-post of a previous question but I have not been able to find any information to answer the question. I want to eventually open a taxidermy shop somewhere in northern California after I retire from the Navy. I haven't been able to find any information about special licensing for selling taxidermy in this state other than the normal business licenses required for a business. I noticed a post on here before also about training in California and was wondering if there was anyone near Ventura County willing to help me out in person with some training. I enjoy doing taxidermy and have done 3 mounts so far and would love to do it for a living after the military. Any info is helpfull. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:28:56 PM by klstet21 » Logged

Kevin
USN
Aviation Maintenance
markdias

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:17:04 PM »

Try giving Chuck a call at Ojai Valley Taxidermy. He's about 20 minutes from you and will be a big help.
I don't have his number, He is listed.
Marshall
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 09:18:57 PM »

Fish and game in California does not require any special state taxidermy permit, however... you will need a federal license for migratory birds if you plan on doing them. If you search "taxidermy" on the California fish and game web site they will have a list for what can and can't be bought and sold in California. Also, consider joining the state taxidermy association...very helpful!
GravityKills
Platinum Member

I'm BACK.......

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 03:53:16 PM »

Fish and game in California does not require any special state taxidermy permit, however... you will need a federal license for migratory birds if you plan on doing them. If you search "taxidermy" on the California fish and game web site they will have a list for what can and can't be bought and sold in California. Also, consider joining the state taxidermy association...very helpful!

You only need that licence if your BREEDING gamebirds and waterfowl, not to mount them. If you mount them, each must be tagged with the hunters' licence number, name, etc. if frozen. Once mounted, it is not required at all.

I breed several gamebirds and waterfowl, and have the licence.

RoyalOaksTaxidermy
Platinum Member

Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:59:22 PM »

You dont need any special license to sell taxidermy mounts, however you have to know the laws.. You cant sell antlers.. which means no deer mounts..and of course no bears or wolverines LOL..
You obviously cant sell any migratory birds, unless of course they are pen raised, and you need the game bird breeders license number who you aquired them from or if you bred them yourself you need a game breeders license. 18.50 a year..higher if over a certain amount of pheasant per year..
  If you are going to be doing taxidermy the only license you need here is the business license. Mine runs 25.00 a year.. No big deal..

The migratory permit you will need if you do migratory birds, and no license required for fish..

As for training, there is no actual school here but IM sure you can find people here that offer seminars and such.

My name is Rae :)
 I'm located in Elk Grove, California
Specialize in mammals.
klstet21
Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 01:45:14 PM »

Try giving Chuck a call at Ojai Valley Taxidermy. He's about 20 minutes from you and will be a big help.
I don't have his number, He is listed.

Hey Mark, I called Chuck today and he told me to come by and talk to him in person. Sounds like a great guy. He spoke very highly of you. Can't wait to meet him in person. Thanks for the reference.

Kevin

Kevin
USN
Aviation Maintenance
RDA
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 01:47:02 PM »

there are some GREAT  folks within the association...... ;)

NEVADA WILDLIFE STUDIO

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GASASS MALINGERERS

In HONOR of Mr SIMON T. BLACKSHAW, ARTIST SUPREME!  1957-2011
markdias

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:56:51 PM »

Kevin glad to hear you made contact, I meant to dig his number out and ??? Well here I am.
Anyway I am glad you made caontact.

Thank You Ron, I know you have been a huge part in my persuit of taxidermy with some of the pieces you have brought
over the years. I also appreciate all the informative posts you have contributed on here, Just sorry I did not become part
of this years ago. Hope to see you in Sac this year.
GravityKills
Platinum Member

I'm BACK.......

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »

Hope to see you in Sac this year.

YEAH, RON..... ::) ;D

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: California Taxidermy Question « previous next »