Old Taxidermy books
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 02:40:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617442 Posts in 191164 Topics by 43213 Members
Latest Member: abiegler
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Taxidermy History  |  Topic: Old Taxidermy books « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Old Taxidermy books  (Read 22673 times)
alan webfoot
Platinum Member

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2011, 09:13:15 AM »

John I checked out ebay in the wee hours and found Kingdom under Glass for $7.98 plus shipping ,I already have a small book on mounting small mammals by Leon L. Pray [spelling?]wonderful drawings
double barrel
Platinum Member

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2014, 11:20:26 AM »

I just found an interesting old book at an antique store I thought I'd share. "Modern Taxidermist Directory" 1967 Edition.  Edited and published by Joseph E. Bruchac. I like the old ads, JW Elwood, American Beauty Panels, by Nippon Panel Co,, Schwartz Studio, inc., Tex Sure Craft forms,  Van Dyke, D.M. Wooster style forms, by Bob"s Taxidermy supply, Penn supply, Adirondack white tailed deer head forms, Supplies by Andersen taxiderny, Long Lake Cabinet shop panels, Clearfield Taxidermy , George Cantin for moose and deer head forms, Arco Taxidermy, Jonas Bros.

Taxidermists featured, Wes Cumings from Rosenglen, North Dakota, and Leon Pray. Loaded with drawings by Leon Prey, 85 years young, with a photo of him sitting at his desk drawing fish references. Some of the drawings are animal studies and some are for kids to color with crayons or colored pencil.

The directory has professional and amateur taxidermists listed from all the states. I noticed Dan Chase, as a taxidermist, not a supplier, Joseph Bruchac, Jonas, Richard C. and Charles Watkins of Ga. Joe Kullis, and John Cook.  Also "Zack Woody" from Knoxville Tenn. I remember at age 19, I lived in Knoxville Tenn. and visited Zack Woody in 1974. His shop in an old house, I walked in and stood and talked with him a while. He's long gone now, as he was very old then.

Definatly a blast from the past.

I love looking at this old stuff. One thing I noticed , the photos looked like much better work than I got from the Elwood coarse, like the deer mounted by J. Bruchac himself. Well I guess so, since the Elwood coarse was stolen from a book writen in the 1800's. I always suspected it was older than we were told. Then it came out, taken from Hornady's book , 1800's. Boy when I die if I run into him at either place I'm gonna kick him in the gonads. What was the guys name anyway? J.W. had the supply co. but the guy who started the Northwestern school was named something else if I remember right. Was it "Shaffer????"  Anybody remember?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Taxidermy History  |  Topic: Old Taxidermy books « previous next »