Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 14, 2014, 09:59:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1608795 Posts in 189866 Topics by 42982 Members
Latest Member: Matej
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Hermaphrodite Pheasant « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hermaphrodite Pheasant  (Read 3103 times)
Carpe Noctem Crafties
Bronze Member

« on: February 25, 2010, 12:01:28 AM »

wow i havnt been on the forums in a long time, good to be back. anyways just wanted to share my newest mount, be easy on me the feather work on the body wasnt done when i took the picture :)

Check out my etsy shop "Carpe Noctem Crafties" at http://www.etsy.com/shop/CarpeNoctemCrafties?ref=si_shop
And my ebay profile http://www.ebay.com/usr/mues155
Specializing in art with skulls and anything in nature.
robolson
Silver Member

www.frozeninflight.com

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »

That's a really cool specimen.  I like the dark feathers on the face.  What did he/she (lol) have as far as wattles?  Did you look at the sex organs on the carcass?  What did you find?  Good job on the head/face.
Carpe Noctem Crafties
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »

Thanks for the compliments, As far as waddles they are very small, in the pic you can see them above the eye but the rest are under his eye in the dark feathers.
I didnt even think to look for sex organs in the carcass, i wish i would have but ive thrown it out already.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:08:42 AM by Adriane » Logged

Check out my etsy shop "Carpe Noctem Crafties" at http://www.etsy.com/shop/CarpeNoctemCrafties?ref=si_shop
And my ebay profile http://www.ebay.com/usr/mues155
Specializing in art with skulls and anything in nature.
Nancy C
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 06:02:17 PM »

I have seen something similar to that one time. I got a free hen from a breeder who had to take her away from the rooster because he had scalped her clear down to the skull in about a 1" circle.
I thought she would die and become a source of spare parts, but she beat the odds and lived. The bone of her skull was open to the air for -literally- about 6 months before it gradually got covered over by scar tissue. (Except for one tiny spot.) When she moulted she became colored halfway between a rooster and a hen. I wish she had been worth mounting, but her head was really a lost cause and there was nothing I had ever seen that would have matched it.
She was definitely brain-damaged. I thought at first that she was blind, but she wasn't. I think maybe she spent a lot of time sleep-walking because she would walk right into things like she was blind, but if she was awake then she was extremely wild and very hard to catch. Also, she had no trouble finding the food and water source, even if I moved it around.
I've never seen anything else that acted like she did.

Kelley

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 09:07:40 PM »

My first post.  My dad has a stuffed Hermaphrodite Pheasant.  He asked me to see what it is worth.  Does anyone know or can you direct me to where I can find out.  He's in hospice & would like to give him an answer.  Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.  Gail
Puffin
Bronze Member

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 06:19:54 AM »

It isn't a hermaphrodite, sorry for you.
With female birds which have a disorder with the hormones they get some signs of male plumages.
Also old females can get a male plumages.
It's well known in science.
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:12:42 AM »

Puffin, hermaphrodite is the only word most of us are familiar with in explaining the phenomenon.  Since you've noted that it ISN'T, would you mind supplying us with the proper word for what it IS?

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Puffin
Bronze Member

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 10:17:10 AM »

Hi George,

Hermaphrodite  are individuals that has the outward marks of two sexes. Both female and male. They could have a penis and a vagina in some cases, or a penis and an uterus.
In my opinion it's a female with a disorder of hormones.
With humans there are women's with a beard and a moustache, these are marks of a man and they are not hermaphrodite. The case could be to much testosterone.

It's a freak of nature and rare.
George Roof
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »

Great analogy. Thanks.  I guess that makes them just freaks of nature.

Michael J Vaden
Forum Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 12:59:09 PM »

Puffin, where I agree that most of the time it is a female with a harmone imbalance or a very old female.... I have seen two hermaphrodite birds, a swinhoe pheasant and a wood duck. I opened up both and found sex organs that provided the proof. The swinhoe was obviously a captive bird, but the wood duck was a wild shot bird from Alabama.

Mike
George Roof
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 02:45:17 PM »

Mike I agree. Connie shot a turkey a few years back that was DEFINITELY hermaphradite.  Aside from the testes, it had 3 eggs inside it, came in strutting and gobbling to a decoy - no beard, no spurs, no caruncles, but bright red white and blue head.

Puffin
Bronze Member

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 03:52:15 PM »

Hi Mike and George.
I collect skeletons and skinned hundreds of birds. I discovered this fenomen several time with ducks.
These are my favorite family. Both from captivity and from the wild.
A friend of mine, who has a large collections of waterfowl has noticed it several times. Now he has got two old females from a Bufflehead and Manderinduck. Both are old wives and don't lay eggs anymore. During the last moult they start looking like a male.  The plumages looks like pale males.
Hermaphrodite birds I have never found.
Doty-Taxidermy
Silver Member

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 05:03:52 PM »

George that turkey sounds pretty neat. Did you mount it? Definitely would make a cool conversation piece in the shop.
George Roof
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 05:43:28 PM »

No, I didn't mount it but I put up a fan mount and in the center I have a ornate frame with a color picture of her holding the turkey showing off the colors of its head. The tail has a jakes high center feathers on it.

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Hermaphrodite Pheasant « previous next »