Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 07:33:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1609336 Posts in 189949 Topics by 42995 Members
Latest Member: Grant222
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Taxidermy History  |  Topic: April Edition of OUTDOOR LIFE « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: April Edition of OUTDOOR LIFE  (Read 2434 times)
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« on: March 22, 2010, 09:56:14 PM »

Check out page 12.  The title is "Stuff It" with a quick history of taxidermy from 2600 B.C.  (told you it wasn't rocket science) through Charles Peale (1800), Martha Maxwell (1876), Carl Akeley (1920) and Jonas Brothers along with several of this years show dates and explanations.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
John Janelli
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 12:14:45 AM »

I didn't see it yet George but I'll certainly find a copy at the airport. Outdoor Life called us a while back for some info. Sure hope they were on track in the article. Our oldest mount of a wild turkey was done by Charles Wilson Peale way back in 18th century. It's still at the American Philosophical Hall in Philadelphia just around the corner from Independence Hall.
FurandFin
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 12:26:57 AM »

Thanks for posting, I'm going to get a copy.

Jim Brown
Vince Spellane
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 03:51:06 PM »

x2 Thanks for the info George.

Bear Claw
Bronze Member

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 04:01:25 PM »

Mine came in the mail yesterday pretty interesting read :)

\" Do you know how to skin GRIZ Pilgrim?\"
Vince Spellane
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 07:57:21 PM »

Taxidermy was even mentioned on the TV show "Castle" last night...seems to be getting alot of attention lately.

broken arrow
Bronze Member

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 08:27:52 AM »

It might have been a re run but I just saw a episode of CSI, or one of the shows, that had a taxidermist that was killing people and using their eyes in his mounts.
Glenn
Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:32:38 AM »

That was an episode of 'Criminal Minds'.  Freaky.
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »

There was an episode of NCIS, 2nd season - "THE MEAT PUZZLE".  A family run Mortuary kidnaps NCIS Medical Examiner Dr. "Ducky" Mallard, to avenge one son's incarceration, and they interview the other son, who is a Taxidermist ... and who IS NOT a murderer ... just ... really involved in his Taxidermy!  Even has a recreation Panda ... no, nothing even approaching Ken Walker's Panda! ;)  He keeps telling the agents which mount won what at World and Nationals!  The mother in this episode was one crazy, freaky bytch!  She and her favorite son - the felon - is about to drain the Doc's blood and embalm him alive when the agents break in and rescue their Doctor.  Then mama's boy slits his own throat to keep from going back to prison.  One wild episode.  Okay, so the Taxidermist is quirky - aren't we all - but he is not the crazed killer!

My favorite exchange in this episode:
KATE: Gibbs, what did Ducky look like when he was younger?

(Gibbs glances over at Ducky.)

GIBBS: Illya Kuryakin.

"Ducky" is played by David McCallum who played spy Illya Kuryakin in "The Man From U.N.C.L.E."  Cool, huh?

John.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:43:37 AM by LordRusty » Logged

George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 12:16:24 PM »

I love that show.  And John, when he said it, I almost fell off the chair until I realized that probably 90% of the audience had no idea what he was talking about with Illya Kuryakin.  There are so many other subliminal remarks, comments and actions there that people outside the military won't get either.  The CSI show just explained their total ignorance of taxidermy.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 01:02:22 PM »

LOL!  Chery and I both LOVE that line!  You're right ... there are so many quotes to other sources.  It's one of the things that makes the show so cool!  Great TV show!  Glad to find another fan here!  Ooh-rah!  No ... I was never Military ... just LaSalle Military Academy in the ninth grade.  My mother thought it would "straighten me out" ... it didn't take! ;D

John.

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Taxidermy History  |  Topic: April Edition of OUTDOOR LIFE « previous next »