Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 02:12:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1605356 Posts in 189362 Topics by 42861 Members
Latest Member: kevarrow70
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Heron Skeleton « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Heron Skeleton  (Read 4959 times)
Leaf-art
Platinum Member

The Roadkill Queen

« on: April 01, 2010, 01:32:55 AM »

Here's my first attempt at a full skeleton. Didn't know much about it, so just sort of had to wing it. (oooh, bad pun) I used wire and epoxy. Anyone have any other suggestions?

* 100_2285.jpg (26.62 kB, 320x208 - viewed 4950 times.)

Experience is everything ... if I could only remember
Toxic
Platinum Member

Jim

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:12:42 AM »

Is that a blue Heron,

I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy
sunparakeet
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 10:23:31 PM »

Awesome!
Leaf-art
Platinum Member

The Roadkill Queen

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 01:45:57 AM »

Is that a blue Heron,

Yes, you can see it with the mounted heron in the Bird of the Week section.

PA
Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »

Nice first attempt Leaf. However, there are some positional improvements you could make.

First, and the picture is a little on the small size, it appears you have a very wierd angle of the ulna on the left wing. The secondaries would be pointing directly in the air at that angle. The radius and ulna should be almost parallel with the direct line the bird is flying, only varying a little on the upward and downward wing beats.

Second the neck is very outstretched for the species in flight. The very long neck is wrapped/bent way up next to the main body if you have ever seen a flying heron. The back of the skull is reasonably close to the place where the wings attach on the front portion of the back. At a distance the neck isn't even visible.

Third, the legs, if in main flight are tucked up parallel to the body and close to the tail. I surmise the femur is actually still pointed forward and the tibia bent close to that bone. Also the legs are tucked close to each other. Without this tucked closeness the long legs would be a drag on the aerodynamic flight.

You can google pictures on the web and see how the flight position would be. Here is one I found that shows what I am talking about - just envision the skeleton withion the flying bird.

* Great_Blue_Heron.jpg (39.85 kB, 539x394 - viewed 3068 times.)
Leaf-art
Platinum Member

The Roadkill Queen

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:05:51 PM »

Thanks PA! I agree with the wing bone set. You'd think these things would go back together much easier than they do! It was hard to figure out what they would be doing for any given pose. The mounted bird was taking off out of water ie neck extended and feet not tucked. Here's what they looked like together. I thought it was a neat idea, but I don't think I carried it off as well as could have been.

* showHeron.jpg (81.38 kB, 493x480 - viewed 2412 times.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:42:01 PM by Leaf-art » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Heron Skeleton « previous next »