Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 03:03:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1597583 Posts in 188347 Topics by 42667 Members
Latest Member: Howling-Tanuki
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Wood fence post « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wood fence post  (Read 732 times)
mn_jimmer
Bronze Member

« on: February 26, 2007, 10:47:21 PM »

I just finished mounting my first flying pheasant.  I attached it to a old wood fence post that I spilt in half.  I hung it on the wall and the wife comented on the strong oily wood preservative odor.  Can I coat the wood with some kind of poly that would cover the odor, or will it go away on it's own in a short time.  I would only need to treat the back side and the ends. She's gonna make me get rid of it if I don't fix the odor problem.
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:54:48 PM »

If it's an old weathered post, how would it have any odor? Did you put something on it prior to mounting the bid on it? On mine, I make sure the wood is dry and bag it, fog it for bugs, let it dry out again, and use.

mn_jimmer
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 11:27:50 PM »

I collected the post recently, cut it off at the ground where it had been standing for many years. It's not rotten and I didn't spill anything on it. It didn't have any odor until I cut and split it.  It smells a lot like new railroad ties, kind of an oily presevative smell.
wingman
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 11:29:50 PM »

Sounds like it'd a preserved post probobly with kreosote which has an  an odor you can't get rid of, is it black or green where you split it? I would just change it out with an old post that has not been treated, Good Luck

Offering Retail and WHOLESALE Bird taxidermy and Training courses

BEST way to contact me: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wildfowl-Unlimited-Bird-Taxidermy/174468725930483?ref=hl

https://plus.google.com/photos/113468900604901419826/albums

Philippians 4:13
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Wood fence post « previous next »