Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 02:52:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1605936 Posts in 189453 Topics by 42874 Members
Latest Member: AllThingsFishing
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Listing Prices on Website « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: Listing Prices on Website  (Read 5906 times)
JPTaxidermy
Silver Member

« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2010, 01:29:07 PM »

Cole, don't we have enough problems as an industry? Please don't start comparing taxidermists to used car dealers. I do get what you are saying about selling yourself, but how many potential customers do you think go to a site, see there are no prices and just move on? I bet it is more than actually call in and ask. People don't have a lot of time these days and don't want to listen to a sales pitch. Also, it takes less than ten minutes to update a price list on a website once a year.   
FishArt
Platinum Member

Marty & Son Cass Lake Minnesota

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »

JP, the point of having a website is also a moving target in this business!!! IF you do quality work and it shows then the main point of having a website is for people to see your work. If you're targeting to the price shoppers then the main point of that website would be to communicate to potential customers your prices. If you're in the previous group (and your prices are significantly more than other local taxidermists AND you don't have an established name and customer base like AA) then I think in most cases it would be advanatgeous to answer phone calls and be able to explain WHY you're that much higher in price. For me, I think I'm somewhere in the middle. Probably like many taxidermists out there. My prices are higher, but not THAT much more than the other taxidermists in my immmediate area. So, for me to have photos AND prices is probably the way to go because MOST potential customers (after seeing my work) don't scoff at the extra $50-$75 bucks they'll have to pay for a bass of mine vs. having it done elsewhere for lesser quality. Whereas taxidermists that are on the extreme upper end of the pay scale I'd say in many instances are better off NOT advertising their prices so that they can sell themselves when that phone does ring. Again, every situation is different and I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. Just lots of opinions - lol!

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Fish Specialties Taxidermy
Shorewood, Illinois
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Cole
Platinum Member

Amateur Taxidermist

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2010, 01:35:33 PM »

Cole, don't we have enough problems as an industry? Please don't start comparing taxidermists to used car dealers. I do get what you are saying about selling yourself, but how many potential customers do you think go to a site, see there are no prices and just move on? I bet it is more than actually call in and ask. People don't have a lot of time these days and don't want to listen to a sales pitch. Also, it takes less than ten minutes to update a price list on a website once a year.   

As a used car salesman in the past I think I'm supposed to be offended by that.  :-\  How many potential customers do I think go to a site, see there are no prices and just move on? Probably not many. If a customer sees something he/she really likes, I think they make the call. I think it has more to do with your site's image, and the quality of the photos as well as the work in them. I think a better question is "Would some taxidermists be better off if they didn't post pictures of their work on their site?  :D

Cole Cruickshank
Cameron, MO 64429
FishArt
Platinum Member

Marty & Son Cass Lake Minnesota

« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2010, 01:37:11 PM »

Cole - BINGO on SO many levels!!!!

FYI, I ALSO sold cars for about a month when I was younger - lol!

P.S. After looking at your fish I'm very glad you're in Missouri and not Illinois - lol!

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Fish Specialties Taxidermy
Shorewood, Illinois
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Monty Artrip
Platinum Member

« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2010, 07:15:05 PM »

Cole, I don't have a website yet because I am the worlds biggest procrastinator. However, in getting ideas by looking at others sites I would say you are right about some would be better without pics!! I would think most customers would be able to distinguish between crap and quality if able to compare work side by side. Anyway, I plan to post my prices which will be more than my local competition, mainly to eliminate the bargain hunters. 
Roger V

« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2010, 07:22:14 PM »

Cole, did you seel cars before or after Fedex and Burger king? LOL You really have done it all!!!

Cole
Platinum Member

Amateur Taxidermist

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2010, 08:06:50 PM »

Cole, did you seel cars before or after Fedex and Burger king? LOL You really have done it all!!!

I never worked at Burger King...I did put some time in at KFC back in high school though. LOL

Cole Cruickshank
Cameron, MO 64429
michael p.
Platinum Member

Getting better with age :)

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2010, 12:01:51 AM »

I never worked at Burger King...I did put some time in at KFC back in high school though. LOL

Cole's LYING!!   He did work at Burger King and Jason Fessdeman was his manager/boss.  As a matter of fact, Jason came to the World Show in uniform looking for him!

Spent my whole life lookin' back
 Not lookin' ahead to see
 Trying to keep my feet on track
 Doin' what was expected of me
 Kick my shoes off so they can't trace me
 Leave no forwarding address
 Before they all drive me crazy
 And I leave 'em all in a bloody mess
C.C.
Cole
Platinum Member

Amateur Taxidermist

« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2010, 10:03:33 AM »

Cole's LYING!!   He did work at Burger King and Jason Fessdeman was his manager/boss.  As a matter of fact, Jason came to the World Show in uniform looking for him!

ROFLMAO, busted...

Cole Cruickshank
Cameron, MO 64429
mshipman
Platinum Member

Killen Merriams in SD

« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »

i used to list mine but I havn't in years. I can't really tell the difference. I'm after the clients that are looking for quality and most of them never seam to worry about price. But i do get alot of price checker calls. If the first words out of their mouth is how much then i know right off they got the wrong number.

http://www.shipmanstaxidermy.com/

Wholesale Rugging Service
Michael Shipman
Cohutta, GA
JPTaxidermy
Silver Member

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2010, 12:36:54 PM »

If the first words out of their mouth is how much then i know right off they got the wrong number.

What are they supposed to say first then?
mshipman
Platinum Member

Killen Merriams in SD

« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »

If the first words out of their mouth is how much then i know right off they got the wrong number.

What are they supposed to say first then?
When can i come by to check out your work or i heard about you from... or can you mount this for me or a number of things. But the point i'm trying to make is if the first thing out of there mouth is how much that's usually all there worried about and I know i'm   not getting their business. Most of my clients are interested in what the finished product and what kind of service they will get. And I cater to them BTW and most don't scabble over prices. Allot never ask a price. They just pay when I send them an invoice.

As for to have prices on web or not i didn't notice a big difference. And BTW I get a good bit of business off my web site both local and and not local. I do admit I havn't updated my site in a while which I think should be done. Just havn't took the time but I plan to soon.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:48:35 PM by mshipman » Logged

http://www.shipmanstaxidermy.com/

Wholesale Rugging Service
Michael Shipman
Cohutta, GA
Missouri Creek Studio
Platinum Member

Black buck Walnut pedestal

« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2010, 08:28:02 PM »

I don't list prices on my web site. There are variables that some unscrupulous taxidermists use to low ball and lure in a  customer,  I'd rather take the time to establish some rapport over the phone with a potential client and discuss their needs. My advertising and even my answering machine gives them my web site so they can view my work and client testimonials. If you want to advertise your prices it's your business and your call.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: Listing Prices on Website « previous next »