Peroxide shelf life
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2014, 09:12:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1624920 Posts in 192416 Topics by 43479 Members
Latest Member: Stump.270
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Peroxide shelf life « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Peroxide shelf life  (Read 7996 times)
Fritz
Gold Member

« on: September 23, 2006, 11:54:20 PM »

Question...how long will 40 volume peroxide keep its whitening strength if left in a container with a lid on it, but it is not airtight? I have a 30 gallon garbage can of the stuff left over from soaking buffalo skulls and was wondering if I should put it back into the gallon jugs or is it ok to leave it in the can with a lid on it. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 09:59:17 AM by Ken Edwards » Logged
Cory W

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 12:17:52 AM »

I am not sure on shelf life, but peroxide will break down when exposed to sunlight, heat or air.  It would be best stored in an air tight container in a cool, shady area.  Hydrogen peroxide(H2O2) decomposes into water and Oxygen.  I would imagine the shelf life will depend upon how much of the chemical has broken down.  I have had unopened 40% peroxide in my basement for about a year and a half and just used it last week with no problems.
Evelyn Billington (Superpig)
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 10:29:29 AM »

If the peroxide is in a plastic container with a lid on like you apparently have it, it can be used for about one year or longer. I just peroxied two sheep skull a week ago and they both came out great. The peroxide has been in there since last October when I started the first deer skulls for the season. You may have to add a little bit every now and then, but there is no reason to toss out the whole tub.

You will know once the peroxide has done its job. The skulls will not whiten correctly and you will have to leave them in for several days instead of hours. Then it is time to toss out the old and fill up with new. :)

Offering Wholesale services for skulls, reptiles and small mammals
Billington Ranch Taxidermy
Georgetown, TX
254-793-2120
www.billingtonranchtaxidermy.com
www.facebook.com/billingtonranchtaxidermy
taxidermyranch@aol.com
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 11:15:23 AM »

I'd toss the whole tub.  Of course, you can always TRY, but when peroxide comes into contact with air, it's breaking down immediately.  I suspect you have a tub full of distilled water.

Contrary to what seems to be an industry wide tendency to SOAK a skull in peroxide, I see that as a waste.  You can buy 40 volume gelled peroxide in any beauty supply store for under $20 a gallon.  You can buy Basic White for about $12.  When I'm doing a skull, I mix up a PINT of peroxide and 5 scoopes of Basic White.  I stir it until combined, and then I PAINT IT ON THE SKULL.  I can easily avoid antler burrs on deer and I can pour excess down nasal passages.  I let it set in the sun for an hour or two and hose it off.  My skulls will be just as white as any of yours and I still have 7 more applications left sealed in the gallon jug I bought it in.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Cory W

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 11:59:20 AM »

Hey George, I saw that 40% gelled peroxide the other day at sally's beauty.  Just wondering if you have tried it.  I thought about it but bought my usual.  I usually just use the liquid or the mix of the powder and the liquid to make a paste.
Fritz
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 10:17:30 PM »

thanks for all of your replies...I just got a couple of antelope in to do europeans on so I will probably try and see how it goes with the batch. I already mix peroxide with the generic basic white for most of the skulls I do, but a good soak will get into all the nasty little crevices and canals to neutralize any little leftovers I may have missed with the air hose and pressure washer. Thanks again.
fursupplier
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 10:51:44 PM »

I think George is referring to Clairoxide or similar. It is not a 'gel' per se, unless you're the TSA. It is a thick, viscous liquid that cuts readily to a watery consistency if diluted at all. It works much better then the 'watery' peroxide from taxidermy supply companies because it stays put where you want it. It doesn't get all runny and do bad things like get in to tanned leather and rot it. If you want it runny, just dilute it with water, this brings down the % but not too much if you don't overdo it.
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 12:36:18 AM »

Nope, not Clairoxide at all.  Sold at Sally's Beauty Supply.  It's Salon Care 40 Volume (maximum lift) Creme.  The ingredients listed are Hydrogen peroxide, phosphoric acid, and trisodium phosphate.  Same as the liquid.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
TrophyRoom
Bronze Member

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 04:32:32 AM »

$20 a gallon!!  I get peroxide for under $7 a gallon and soak skulls in the same liquid for all of deer season.  As long as you keep it in a cool room or a walk in cooler, peroxide will last many months.  Not to say the percentage will not go down, but it will be plenty strong enough to whiten skulls.
Wolfwoman
Platinum Member

$75 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 08:09:27 PM »

Best way to tell, when you put a skull in and it doens't come out as white as you'd like it, it's time to throw it...lol

I use 3% from WalMart and have used the same soak (sorry, George) on up to 16 skulls of various sizes - remember I do mainly bear and wolf. For less than $4 a gallon, that's pretty economical to me!

Wolfie

Your fur or mine?
Trapper Hat or Mitts $75 from your fur!

13 years experience, all fur & leather items HAND sewn, no machine used.
RD Martin
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 10:10:42 AM »

Wolfie..I'll go one better for you. I read an article a while back on the 3% Wally World version. Tested because of unknown age/shelf life and was not what you are paying for. Not to mention an inferior(not pure) grade with metals present. If 3% will do the job for you then take a 20.00 gallon of 40 vol. and dilute with recommended distilled water and you will get a pure and more efficient mix for a lot less than 4.00 gallon. Also in another article was H2o2 loses approximately 1% a month IF stored properly. Cool & dark is preferred. High volume can be extremely volatile if not stored properly.

Wolfwoman
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 03:56:48 PM »

Well that sounds cool :) 

If I were still cleaning a high volume of skulls I'd probably do that, but as it's for my own personal use right now and a few trades and friends, the small bottles I get at WW are ok. I'll definately keep that in mind for the future if I get a place and the time to do more.

Wolfie

Your fur or mine?

Creepy-Crusty
Platinum Member

The History Channel says I'm "creepy"!!

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 04:15:02 PM »

Wolfie, does Freddies know you shop at Wally World??  ???

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt
Wolfwoman
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 05:12:06 PM »

Yup I tell em I go there ALL the time because they're CHEAPER!

If they fire me for that, then they have a lawsuit!

Wolfie

Your fur or mine?

fishguts

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 05:22:06 PM »

were can you get peroxide by the gallon? i been buying my by the bottle at price chopper. not to expensive but the stronger stuff sounds better.

<']\\\>< please visit my trapping fourm><///}'>
 http://fishgut.proboards25.com/index.cgi
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Peroxide shelf life « previous next »