Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2014, 09:30:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1609272 Posts in 189935 Topics by 42993 Members
Latest Member: Lyrra
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Bear Skull Display - How to attached the lower jaw...? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bear Skull Display - How to attached the lower jaw...?  (Read 2952 times)
northwoods
Bronze Member

« on: January 13, 2011, 07:45:23 PM »

Hi all,

I have search through all the old posts and havent found anything in regards to a project Im starting to work on.  I have a bear skull that I would like to attach to a European desk top type pedestal with panel.  Id like to display it with jaws open.  Right now the lower jaw is not attached to the skull at all.

What is the best method to attach the lower jaw to the skull for a jaws open display?  Id like a method that is strong and wont fail when moving the skull or mounting it to the panel, also a method with hardware that is hard to see or hidden to the naked eye so it doesnt distract from the mount.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Photos would be welcome.

THANKS in advance for any help!!!
QBD
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »

I mount the lower jaw with a screw through the panel into each side of the jaw.  If you do this correctly, it can not be seen but will hold the lower jaw securely.  I drill a hole into the brain cavity of the skull and insert a white plastic sheetrock type anchor.  I drill a hole in the panel that will line up with the brain cavity insert.  Once I have the hole/insert in place, I set the skull on the bottom jaw and run a screw in the insert.  I continue to tighten the screw and the skull pivots on the hinge and holds the jaws open.  Adjust the screw to obtain how much the mouth is open.  The brain cavity screw is not easily seen either.

A bad day in the woods beats a good day at work anytime.

http://www.racplaques.com
japeterson

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 04:13:21 PM »

did you purchase that base or build it? If you bought it, where would I look for that sort of thing?

\\\'You want me to do WHAT? With WHAT? Are you serious?\\\"
phoenix-cry
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »

That base is awesome.  The whole mount is great.  I found something like it on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/european-skull-mount-taxidermy-plaque-deer-antelope-/110498152366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ba33ffae
northwoods
Bronze Member

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:24:28 PM »

QBD - Thanks for the very helpful information.  The photos look great!  Thanks for sharing.  When screwing the lower jaw down you must have to use some pretty small diameter screws to prevent splitting or cracking the bone...?  If you don't mind me asking what size (L & W) is the panel in the photos?  The angle you have it at on the pedestal looks to be just about perfect!  VERY NICE!!!  Thanks again.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Bear Skull Display - How to attached the lower jaw...? « previous next »