Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 06:19:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1598320 Posts in 188456 Topics by 42682 Members
Latest Member: TaxidemistPro
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: wrapped bird body's « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: wrapped bird body's  (Read 3280 times)
Old Fart
Platinum Member

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 09:30:35 AM »

babak, there are different grades of wood wool, some very coarse and some quite fine. The very coarse are not good for wrapping bodies. Wrapping is easier if you soak the wool in warm water for a while. And then details can be "sewn" into the body with a long needle and strong thread. When the wood wool body dries, it will be very hard and holds wire well. However, the body should be totally dry before you use it, so you can't make your body and mount the bird the same day.  I have carved foam bodies too, but I've never been able to get foam as dense as the poured commercial bodies.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
bābak
Platinum Member

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 09:57:39 AM »

well,thank you for perfect answer,definitely, I'll try it.when I'm thinking well,i remember a softer kind of wood wool i have seen in a shop!for preparation of foam i use a white paste that is using in wood industries,i cover the ready foam body with it and wait until dryness,it really works.
taxos
Platinum Member

Finches, Buntings

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 12:03:29 PM »

I never had the hang of wrapping a body, I always use foam for every size bird.
lee, tees valley
Platinum Member

tweety luvva.

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 12:50:53 PM »

i wrap all birds 8) except realy small tweeties  8) these i carve from foam :) but  thrush sized  and bigger are all wrapped 8) i personaly  i get a better bird when i wrap 8) 8) ;) i dont rely on the woodwool soaking up grease ??? as i clean my birds verrry well 8)  babak i also use white wood glue on my wrapped bodies 8) ;)
bābak
Platinum Member

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 02:06:33 AM »

thanks for sharing your valuable knowledge,you all acquaint me alot!
byrdman
Platinum Member

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »

Babak..I only use foam bodies for large geese,turkeys,cranes where I can bondo the wires into foam...otherwise wrapped bodies have far too many advantages for me....I allways have them avail. and can wrap one in about 2 minutes for about 10 cents....I will soak before wrapping and mount on them when wet will give you more grooming time as skin will dry slower.....if bodies are dry I will dampen them before mounting anyway...so no problem wrapping and mounting same day.....you can rtap a body so tight and squeeze as you wrap wires will cinch better and wont loosen up like foam bodies will.....I dont want skin "sliding" around like on a foam bddy...add filler with cotton batting ...no caulk...bird skins will also shrink when drying so you want a forgiving substance under the skin ..not a tight foam and caulking base...I have far too many of these mounts brought into me for repairs...with torn open stiching and cracked skin....you have to use what you have avail and what works best for you....
Old Fart
Platinum Member

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »

I will agree that the wet body will give you a longer drying time.  There is a disadvantage to leaving the body wet.....MOLD. Years ago, when wrapped bodies were the only way to mount a bird, I had a particularly "bad" mount that I had done in my early days. I took it apart to salvage the eyes and tore the skin off the body to see what I could learn. The entire inside of the skin and the wood wool body was a mass of mold.  I couldn't determine if the mold had done any damage to the mount. I always dried the wet bodies before mounting after that. Keep in mind that the mount was probably done in the summer when the humidity was high and the bird dried very slowly, allowing the mold to develop. I always thought that Borax would prevent that, but apparently it didn't.

byrdman
Platinum Member

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2011, 01:42:43 PM »

you need more than water to form mold...bacteria....skins must be totally  cleaned/degreased......and gassed/solvent treated.....never had mold issues
Old Fart
Platinum Member

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 01:53:03 PM »

Bacteria don't cause mold......Mold Spores do! They were most likely on the wood wool to begin with and have nothing what so ever to do with the bird skin. By not allowing the wood wool to dry first I created an ideal environment for the mold to grow on the wood wool. Like I said, I do not recall if there was any damage to the bird skin, but the mold was there on both the body and the skin.

byrdman
Platinum Member

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »

seems a non-issue then.....you had one bad bird and I have never had any....tell you anything?
lee, tees valley
Platinum Member

tweety luvva.

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 05:11:23 PM »

i wrap alot of birds 8)  all kinds , raptors, owl's, wader's,  game, song and exotic bird's  8) 8) i never wet the wood wool :'(  i like it as dry as a nun's crutch ;D ;D then i apply a thin layer off wood glue 8) leave it dry, then use it 8) 8) no problems :) ;)
Old Fart
Platinum Member

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 05:21:04 PM »

byrdman, it's the only one I ever tore apart. I doubt that there are very many, mostly because I dried the bodies before mounting. Have you ever take apart any of your birds? The mold wasn't apparent on the outside of the bird. I only noticed that it was there when I got into it.

byrdman
Platinum Member

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 05:55:08 PM »

yes have re-mounted several......no problems.....know several others using same methods...you know them too....wetting the excel. keeps string lubed and is easier on the hands too........o.f. do yopu use hide paste on deer heads? you can have more mold issues with game hides than thin bird skins..dont know how you got mold on a bird?
Jorlan

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 01:01:24 PM »

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,112381.0.html
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,43637.0.html
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,185544.0.html
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,185547.0.html
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,185550.0.html
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,185552.0.html

Marking
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: wrapped bird body's « previous next »