freezing bear hides
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 11:11:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1616955 Posts in 191096 Topics by 43200 Members
Latest Member: joshcuzzort
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: freezing bear hides « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: freezing bear hides  (Read 4608 times)
upbrent

« on: September 26, 2006, 09:35:15 PM »

I would like to know how long you can freeze a bear hide just freshly skined off the bear without any fleshing. dont know if it would hurt it or cause slippage at all. any info on how long can freeze it for would be great. thanks, brent
Evelyn Billington (Superpig)
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 09:57:34 PM »

If it is rolled up (hair side out) with the head and paws tucked into the hide and bagged in a heavy duty plastic bag with all the air squeezed out of it, it can last you several years. I would not leave it in there that long to prevent freezer burn, but otherwise it would not hurt your hide. :)

Offering Wholesale services for skulls, reptiles and small mammals
Billington Ranch Taxidermy
Georgetown, TX
254-793-2120
www.billingtonranchtaxidermy.com
www.facebook.com/billingtonranchtaxidermy
taxidermyranch@aol.com
Meyer Wildlife
Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 10:19:06 PM »

As Evelyn said make sure you get the air out and even double bag it. I had one brought to me that
was in the freezer for three years and it was fine.   

Bill Meyer
Meyer Wildlife Creations
2314 Oxford rd.
Redding, Ca. 96002
(  (530)604-4359
KevinH
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 10:29:52 PM »

Yea the only thing that stinks about skinning nd freezing before fleshing is the big ball of fur and fat you have to wait to thaw out whenever you wanna wokr on it again.

Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Can you skin Griz?
    Jeremiah Johnson: I can skin'em as fast as you can catch'em.
    Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Skin that one pilgrim and I'll get you another!
rbt
Bronze Member

What do you think he will score?

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 11:28:38 AM »

I had a customer left his bear in the freezer 2 years before I mounted it for him. It turned out just fine.
circleh
Bronze Member

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 11:58:45 AM »

Do what Evelyn said and double bag it like Meyer said and it should be ok I just did a black bear that was in the freezer for 3 1/2 years. No freezer burn at all. Looked like he just got it this past season.

"Go afield with a good attitude, and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk." Fred Bear
coyote

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 12:28:51 PM »

Any hide or skin I freeze. Like Evelyn said. I always double bag them. Then take my shop vac. and suck out all the air in the bag. It sorta works like a vaccume sealer. I've had skins and hides frozen that way for up to 2 yrs. without any problems.

Coyote

Coyote
Wayne R
Platinum Member

NRA and B&C Life Member

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 11:43:18 AM »

I would suggest laying it out in the freezer first to chiill the whole hide before you roll it up. This way the center of the hide isn't holding any heat in it while the outside starts to freeze. I have heard of someone who ties a rope on one of the rear legs to hang it up later so when it thaws it unrolls by itself. I never tried it ,so I don't know how well that works. I always want the center of the hide to freeze as soon as possible and to thaw out as soon as possible. I have a concern about the hide sitting in it's own fluids during this time.
coyote

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 12:38:01 PM »

A recap on freezing skins, hides and capes. Everything I freeze, is fleshed of all fat/meat before I freeze it. It is never salted prior to freezing. Since salting will prevent it from freezing completely. No "customer's" skin is left frozen for more than a few days. All customer skins are usually scraped, fleshed, then salted and sent to the tannery or put into my own tanning as soon as possible. I don't need to explain to a customer that I ruined his/her skin, cape or hide. And just like salting a skin, when I do freeze them. They are folded. Not "rolled" up. As a rolled up skin will hold the heat in the center longer. Please NEVER roll-up any skin, cape or hide. Always fold the skin.

Coyote

Coyote
AndyO
Platinum Member

meow

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 04:01:51 PM »

I have heard of someone who ties a rope on one of the rear legs to hang it up later so when it thaws it unrolls by itself.
Sounds like a good Idea Wayne.

If I know the bear wont be sitting in the freezer for an extended time, I roll the hide so that the head is on the outside. As soon as the head is thawed enough I get to splitting and turning everything. By the time I'm done with the face, the hide is pliable enough to rough flesh meat/fat. I guess everyone has their own way of doing things.

"If you are not aware of how bad you suck, you're an idiot."  ~Rick Carter 1-12-12
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: freezing bear hides « previous next »