WVTA 25th YEAR ANNIVERSARY CONVENTION and COMPETITION
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1626255 Posts in 192647 Topics by 43528 Members
Latest Member: vic h
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: WVTA 25th YEAR ANNIVERSARY CONVENTION and COMPETITION « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: WVTA 25th YEAR ANNIVERSARY CONVENTION and COMPETITION  (Read 3300 times)
Lone Wolf Taxidermy
Platinum Member

« on: February 03, 2011, 12:46:37 PM »

The West Virginia Taxidermy Association 25th Year Anniversary Convention and Competition will be held at the Days Inn Hotel and Conference Center in Flatwoods, WV on April 14 -17, 2011. This will be our 25th annual convention and we are very pleased to announce that the United Taxidermist Association will be holding their Annual Membership Meeting in conjunction with the WVTA convention.

The WVTA will be having many great seminars. One of which will be a hands on Mammal Seminar sponsored by the UTA. This seminar will be on setting Bobcat Eyes. Participants will need their own modeling tools. A change-out Bobcat head and eyes will be donated by Van Dykes Supply Co. and instructors for this workshop will be Brenda Duvall, Jim Kimball, Pat Reed and Craig Lewis.  

Our Fish Seminar will be presented by Ken Bauman of Anadarko, Oklahoma. Ken is the 2009 National Champion - Warm Water Fish, among many other awards, and will be giving an A to Z class on Large Mouth Bass.

We are extremely happy to have native son Cary Cochran presenting a class on White Tail Deer. In this seminar Cary will discuss Ear Butts - Size, Shape and Placement. Cary's accomplishments in the taxidermy industry are vast to say the least.

We are also pleased to have an informative seminar presented by Brenda Duvall of Medford, Wisconsin. This Carl E Akeley Award winner among many other accomplishments will give a class on Concept and Design of Taxidermy Art in addition to the hands on workshop. This class will cover the many aspects of artfully designing your work. Brenda is the current Secretary of the UTA and was responsible for getting the donation from Van Dykes Supply for the hands on.

Our Bird seminar will be presented by Jim Kimball of Medford, Wisconsin. This extremely accomplished award winner will give instruction on the Wiring of Bird Legs and Wings and Attachment Points. Jim will also be involved in the hands on workshop.

We are very pleased to have with us Craig Lewis of Burbank, Washington. Craig is the Chairman of the UTA and will present a UTA sponsored Business Seminar. This class will cover many aspects of running a taxidermy business and will include Q&A throughout. Participants in this class will receive a Certificate of Completion from the UTA.

We are fortunate to have as a WVTA member Mike Tanner of Gold Hill, North Carolina. Mike works in the medical field and will be presenting a seminar on the subject of Zoonotic. This class will cover diseases from animals that affect taxidermists and will have Q&A throughout.

The WVTA is proud to provide our membership with these seven "Top Shelf" seminars presented by World and National Award winners and experts in their fields.

The WVTA is also pleased to announce we are adding a "Flat Art" category to our competition this year. We had several folks inquire about it last year. It was presented to the Board of Directors and unanimously passed. We are very pleased to have Ms. Ella Haddix as our judge for this category. Ella is an accomplished art scholar and instructor of many years and we look forward to this new venture.  

Our judges for this years competition are as follows:

MAMMALS/SMALL GAMEHEADS-BRENDA DUVALL
BIRDS---JIM KIMBALL
FISH-----KEN BAUMAN
DEER/LARGE GAMEHEADS-CARY COCHRAN
FLAT ART---ELLA HADDIX

Convention Schedule and all other pertinent information is currently being added to the WVTA web site www.wvtaxidermy.com

Any questions can be PM'd to me here or to Denny Cutright ,wvtaxidermyinfo@yahoo.com or contact Rick Dunlap at 304-473-0752

The WVTA would like to invite and welcome everyone to join us in April for a great show and good times.      
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 11:55:22 PM by Lone Wolf Taxidermy » Logged

Billy
www.lonewolftaxidermy.com
joe simmons
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:20:34 PM »

planning on being there again

Joe   Simmons
Mac McLane
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:51:29 PM »

Billy! I'm surprised! :o You didnt mention the catatonic caterwalling of a rag tag bunch of misfit musicians!!  ;D

aspenangler (Shane)
Gold Member

B+______><(((>______><(((>

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:55:10 PM »

Im looking forward to attending again and listening to the "misfit musicians"......lol

Proud member of the PTA, OTA and WVTA Board Member
cyclone
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 08:32:41 PM »

Are you all going to hunt for the Flatwoods Monster?

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. They are one and the same...

Re-hydrate! It is an important step.

Spell chek.....not jest enother perty button.
Denny C
Bronze Member

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:55:37 PM »

Cyclone we have already hunted, found, hog tied, tagged and bagged that critter. He is no longer a threat. Kinda like the abominable snowman on the Rudolph cartoon. LOL!!!  He will be on display at the registration desk for all in attendance to see. (be sure to bring a camera for reference photos)

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work isn't good!!!!
Lone Wolf Taxidermy
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 04:19:14 AM »

Mac that will be a whole post all to itself. I think this year we will be entertained by MT and the Moonshine band..............I hear they are touring from out of North Carolina and other parts unknown. Hey we might end up with a jug band ..... someone needs to bring a wash board and some spoons.

I will guarantee caterwauling and other such unmentionable sounds.

As for the Flatwoods Monster.........Hmmmmmmmm......That gives me an idea for another new category.......That could get creative and draw a crowd....LOL

Billy
skinner26
Gold Member

WACK'EM, STACK'EM & MOUNT'EM

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 07:04:11 AM »

Thanks for posting Billy

Trying to learn all I can to get better.
Derrin
Silver Member

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 07:22:07 PM »

This sounds to be a KICK BUTT SHOW!!!
Lone Wolf Taxidermy
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 02:03:50 AM »

It is shaping up to be very good. We will be posting much more info here over the next 2 months and adding info to the WVTA website. Any chance you might make it Tommy? We would enjoy having you.

Billy
dbess
Gold Member

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 05:27:08 AM »

Great post Billy...another great show in store!!
skinner26
Gold Member

WACK'EM, STACK'EM & MOUNT'EM

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »

Lone Wolf what day does the seminars start? I was looking at coming up on the 14 but that is the day y'all r setting up ant it? Could y'all use some extra help setting up?

Trying to learn all I can to get better.
Lone Wolf Taxidermy
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 10:14:46 AM »

Mark we can always use good help. We start setting everything up around 1 pm Thursday. The seminars start Friday morning.

Billy
Derrin
Silver Member

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »

It is shaping up to be very good. We will be posting much more info here over the next 2 months and adding info to the WVTA website. Any chance you might make it Tommy? We would enjoy having you.
Thanks Billy.Right now,I'm not ruling it out. I have a full plate, as everyone else, but I'll try my best to make it!! It sure would be a great trip for sure!
Lone Wolf Taxidermy
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 11:32:11 AM »

Your welcome guys. We will be posting much info over the next 2 months about the convention.

Some of which will be about several great raffles we will be having again this year. One of which will be the $500 Wal-Mart Gift Card in which we will have contacts for anyone, anywhere to buy tickets. Last years winner was from Altoona ,PA so you don't have to be from here or at the show or even a taxidermist to win. Keep an eye out for that info.

Billy
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  General Discussions  |  The Taxidermy Industry  |  Topic: WVTA 25th YEAR ANNIVERSARY CONVENTION and COMPETITION « previous next »