dermestid beetle enclosure suggestions
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 01:33:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1573048 Posts in 184633 Topics by 42017 Members
Latest Member: kdog123
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: dermestid beetle enclosure suggestions « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: dermestid beetle enclosure suggestions  (Read 3680 times)
tslayer76

« on: February 23, 2011, 09:00:48 AM »

I keep my beetles in a 20 gallon aquarium but I need to have a bigger enclosure so I can fit skulls with larger antlers in to be cleaned. All the aquariums I have laying around are not tall enough and new ones that would work are to expensive. I tried to make my own with glass from a couple tanks I had but found out the glass is tempered so I can't cut it to the size I need to create a "box". Does anyone have any suggestions of what other material I could build a box out of that the beetles can't eat through? I heard plywood coated on the inside with an acrylic resin would work, but I'm questioning that. Thanks for any help,Tom
Skull Designs
Gold Member

Skull Designs

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »

coated plywood, plexiglass, chest freezer, plastic totes, take your pick

Skull Designs
Quality European mounts at a great price
tslayer76

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:12:47 AM »

Won't they eat through the plastic?   I know a couple years ago when they were shipped to me in "tupperware" they had eaten holes through the lid in only a couple of days.
nuwk

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 09:24:13 AM »

You just can't beat an old chest freezer. Most of the old ones are metal lined inside.  I researched forever and finaaly just went with the freezer. Its 90% done just vent it and heat it.  Place a classified ad and choose from the list.
Bone Heads
Silver Member

Kristen M. Armenia

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:34:30 AM »

Not all plastics are created equal (or equally edible to beetles that is).  Our beetle enclosures include glass aquariums, plastic rubbermaid/sterilite totes, and a liquid storage cube that used to hold 275 gallons of apple cider.  No chew throughs in the plastics yet.

Nature is beautiful.  It is not always pretty!  www.bareyourskull.com
tslayer76

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 11:38:09 AM »

You just can't beat an old chest freezer. Most of the old ones are metal lined inside.  I researched forever and finaaly just went with the freezer. Its 90% done just vent it and heat it.  Place a classified ad and choose from the list.
[/quote]

What's the best way to heat a freezer?
Clay.
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 12:39:26 PM »

Lots of different ways - I use a little forced air heater with an automatic thermostat - bought from walmart. Here are some other than mine:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,60043.msg372479.html#msg372479
RD Martin
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 12:59:38 PM »

Chest freezers seem to be popular. If you do elk or moose size skulls they are useless IMO.....and they are HEAVY but then nobody will steal them or they won't blow away. grin

Skull Designs
Gold Member

Skull Designs

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »

I do lots of elk and moose, just have a top peice I put on it for them, I plan on building a big tank when I get the time, but the cover works pretty good. I use a heat lamp inside of the freezer, on a timer keeps it at 80-90 degrees. have three colonies in them at the moment and one in a 60 gallon aquarium, like the freezers alot better

Skull Designs
staffs-skeletons
Gold Member

www.skeletonsUK.com

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 01:11:57 PM »

I use chest freezers. Industrial silicone inside to fill any seams - ventilation hole cut in the top with fine mesh - a smear of axel grease around the top in case they manage to climb up and a heat lamp and thermostat. Has worked for the last 5 years for me with no problems!
I don't do any antlered animals the size of elk or moose here in the UK however so they work for me.

www.skeletonsUK.com

@SkeletonsUK on twitter
RD Martin
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »

I do lots of elk and moose, just have a top peice I put on it for them, I plan on building a big tank when I get the time, but the cover works pretty good. I use a heat lamp inside of the freezer, on a timer keeps it at 80-90 degrees. have three colonies in them at the moment and one in a 60 gallon aquarium, like the freezers alot better

You got a picture of that top piece in action? Thanks

RD Martin
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 01:21:22 PM »

Problem I see with chest freezers is not the height but the width. How could you even get a 300 class elk on its side?

Polarbear

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 01:28:02 PM »

I prefer the chest freezers too. Got mine vented out the back of my shop with a dryer vent with fine window screen mesh covering it from the inside.  Not to good for elk.  Have not been able to figure out a good way to make them taller. Done a couple of them on their side, but they were not of any size.
Skull Designs
Gold Member

Skull Designs

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 02:00:48 PM »

Ill try and get a pic for ya, I put them in with the nose down if they are to big to go in on the side, if I can get them to go in on side I can do two at a time. Its just a big box made out of plywood that fits on top of the chest freezer, I have done a 340 bull this way and plenty of smaller ones, and im sure i can fit a bigger one in it

Skull Designs
tslayer76

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 02:22:57 PM »

Thanks everybody for the info, looks like I'm looking for a freezer.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: dermestid beetle enclosure suggestions « previous next »