Wrapped mounts only
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 12:47:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617149 Posts in 191129 Topics by 43206 Members
Latest Member: Sacc Man
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: Wrapped mounts only « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 94 Print
Author Topic: Wrapped mounts only  (Read 273449 times)
Bill Yox
Forum Moderator

« Reply #870 on: January 13, 2012, 10:41:34 PM »

I like insect pins because theyre so thin, and theyre easy to drive in. I also like the euro pins especially when I want a "stop" feature of the handles besides just the shaft angle of the pin. Good products are popular products.
John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

« Reply #871 on: January 13, 2012, 10:42:36 PM »

I found a chart and 00 is smaller than say a 1. so I order some 00 and they are just regular stanless pins, nothing fancy, but I do like the ones that have more of a visable handle on them, so I don't loose them in the hair. maybe someone makes the 00 size with a bigger head on it, but I haven't seen any and I looked pretty good today. thanks

You did not receive true Insect Pins.  You can order any pins in any size, but unless you ordered Insect Pins, you will not get Insect Pins.  True 'Insect Pins' are black 'Japanned' pins, with little round gold-colored plastic tops.  Anything else is not a true Insect Pin.  They are made for pinning insects to drying boards, and therefore must be thin enough and small enough to not leave a large hole in the specimen, which would otherwise spoil the appearance of said specimen.  And that is why they work so well for Taxidermy!  What you received were stainless steel Bank Pins ... NOT the same thing. ;)

John Bellucci
Platinum Member

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

« Reply #872 on: January 13, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »

I like insect pins because theyre so thin, and theyre easy to drive in. I also like the euro pins especially when I want a "stop" feature of the handles besides just the shaft angle of the pin. Good products are popular products.

Not always ...

The thinnest Euro Pins are not thinner than the thinnest Insect Pins ... that's just a fact.  Whew!  A lot of 'th' words in that sentence! ;D

little fred
Platinum Member

R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

« Reply #873 on: January 13, 2012, 10:58:10 PM »

Snow, are you talking tow or fine excelsior? Cause as far as I new tow was impossible to get anymore? If its tow, I want a few bales!
i know who has it
freddy

Bill Yox
Forum Moderator

« Reply #874 on: January 14, 2012, 12:59:38 AM »

I think they are. Most good taxidermists I know not only have some "orange handles" on their pins, they also have a tube of insect pins as well. To me, thats a popular item...because theyre good.
saddlehorse_98
Gold Member

« Reply #875 on: January 14, 2012, 04:38:51 AM »

the ones I just order are from china and are sold as insect pins, I didn't order the euro pins, picture is to small to see if they have gold tips or not.  I hope I'm getting what they are advertise as anyways?
Bill Yox
Forum Moderator

« Reply #876 on: January 14, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »

I have the fine pins that are just as John described, with the little plastic dot of a head on them, and just as he described, theyre for the insect pinning to riker mounts and drying boards. I also have a fine pin that is labelled as an insect pin, very fine again, but with a flat head. Theyre fine, stiff and almost invisible if you had to leave one in the mount.
bigrack10p0inter
Bronze Member

« Reply #877 on: January 14, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »

I have the fine pins that are just as John described, with the little plastic dot of a head on them, and just as he described, theyre for the insect pinning to riker mounts and drying boards. I also have a fine pin that is labelled as an insect pin, very fine again, but with a flat head. Theyre fine, stiff and almost invisible if you had to leave one in the mount.

Bill Where do you get these pins?
Bill Yox
Forum Moderator

« Reply #878 on: January 14, 2012, 01:25:43 PM »

I have had them so long I forget, likely Buckeye Mannikins back in the day, as I dont pin much. I bought the others because, and youll laugh, I actually do pin out certain moths I collect or raise. My guess would be to try Research Mannikins or even Jonas Bros first. Someone here might have a better source and memory, lol. PM John, he usually knows this stuff.
absmithtaxidermy

« Reply #879 on: January 15, 2012, 01:07:01 AM »

Research Mannikins had some of the very thin black pins labeled as "insect pins" at the Indiana show last year.  They were the ones with the flat heads.
snowhare
Platinum Member

« Reply #880 on: January 15, 2012, 05:02:41 AM »

THE BLACK ONES ARE NOT GOOD , THEY RUST :-\ :-\ :-\

SN
taxos
Platinum Member

Finches, Buntings

« Reply #881 on: January 15, 2012, 08:57:12 AM »

THE BLACK ONES ARE NOT GOOD , THEY RUST :-\ :-\ :-\

SN

they do, i never use those balck ones but the silver colored with a golden knob.
byrdman
Platinum Member

« Reply #882 on: January 15, 2012, 08:30:49 PM »

I,ve got a ton of the black ones have had some for several years and no rust on any of them.....how would they?
saddlehorse_98
Gold Member

« Reply #883 on: January 20, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »

just got my order of pins in today, both are the  same 000 size, different suppliers. one is gold top on black stainless steal pin. the other which I wasn't 100% sure what I was ordering when I did. are accupuncture pins. stainless and copper wrapped top, I actually like them much better. they have much larger tops to see and not loose them in the hide somewhere and they are a good bit longer in length.
remington-trigger
Silver Member

just me

« Reply #884 on: January 21, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »

heres my first wrapped red fox i was pretty happy with how he came out... :D

* MY RED FOX.jpg (93.86 kB, 400x300 - viewed 1361 times.)

~Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have f'd with? That's me. ~Clint Eastwood~

facebook : britny bland
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 94 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: Wrapped mounts only « previous next »