???
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 10:11:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1573509 Posts in 184711 Topics by 42033 Members
Latest Member: Gecko097
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: ??? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: ???  (Read 4017 times)
rbear
Platinum Member

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 05:58:45 PM »

The antlers are tipped back to far. Here would be a great start for you. I have attached a thread that is 42 pages long where people on this site go over a bunch of anatomy. This site has a endless information opportunities for free. Start poking around and you will learn allot.
Ralph
http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,91719.0.html

Common sense is the highest form of logic
kirby/575.693.6699
Platinum Member

I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 08:08:51 PM »

thanks Ralph, i do appreciate it.

kirby

the bitterness of poor quality far outweighs the sweetness of low price.
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 08:31:32 AM »

I think you can scratch up $29.95 for Rick Carters video. You really should try to find $29.95, you are just wasting money on materials if you don't. Asking strangers that you do not know, might bring you more wrong information than good. My tip is that you should sell some junk out of your inventory closet on ebay, and buy Rick Carters DVD. The DVD cost less than the form and eyes that you purchased to practice on. What can you sell, that you do not play with anymore? The best information ever put out to date in the whole wide wide world on how to build a deer can be in your hands for just $29.95. Don't be so cheap.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
DaveLemons
Silver Member

davestaxidermystudio.com

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 09:06:27 AM »

I agree with T on this one.
The next money you have to spend on taxidermy needs to be for Rick's dvd.
I to have only done one deer but I bought the dvd first and you will not regret getting the dvd.
vmarzilli
Bronze Member

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 08:07:08 AM »

I hate to sound like a broken record but...  I have only mounted two deer, I did it with some help from this forum, but primarily with the information on Rick Carter's DVD.  If you have some skill with your hands and can process what you see on TV than you can do a pretty decent job for a first, or second mount.  I watched the video in it's entirety a few times and watched specific segments more times than I can count.  There is an unbelievable amount of information packed into a few hours that is based on a lifetime of experience.  The video is professionally done, well organized, and easy to understand.  I agree with Mr. T, $30 is extremely inexpensive for so much information, maybe even a steal.  Buy it!, Vince
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 03:14:32 PM »

Here, check this out. Click where it says "Videos" ;)

http://www.helpinghandhangers.com/

But I still recommend getting Ricks video.

Everyone has an opinion........
rbear
Platinum Member

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 04:07:01 PM »

"T" I know I'm strange but I though I gave some good advice.
Ralph

Common sense is the highest form of logic
kirby/575.693.6699
Platinum Member

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »

I appreciate your advice rbear. thanks

anyone can tell someone how to spend money. only a gifted few can tell someone how to improve their craft.

kirby

redwolf, now that is info i can use, thanks compadre.

kirby

bearrug
Platinum Member

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 05:52:15 PM »

Keep  practicing you will get better.................
vmarzilli
Bronze Member

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 06:18:44 PM »

Kirby, I think the point is that sometimes it costs money for education and by learning from a medium such as Carter's DVD your craft will be much improved, the ecomomics are such that you will improve your craft in extreme excess of $30. Maybe Rick Carter is one of the "Gifted Few".  If you could get a Taxidermist like Carter to give you a free personal lesson on a complete mount let me know their name, I will attend. Vince
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »

Kirby, I see that it is plain as day that you intend for us to tell you where your screw ups are when you post pictures. This is not what the site is about, this site is for taxidermist, about taxidermy, it is not a school.

kirby/575.693.6699
Platinum Member

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 07:42:01 PM »

i guess that means if we havent been to a school we are not welcome here. O.K. i'm cool with that.
does that mean that all who are not "taxidermist"s in your eyes are not welcome or just some of us that don't kow-tow to certain oldy's?

Quill

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 07:46:44 PM »

Kirby, it is also as plain as day that you want people to give you stuff for free.   When I read your post I thought
"you have got to be [expletive deleted]ing kidding me............this guy is begging for a free bee"    We all have to pay our way the cost of a dvd is a pretty low price for education.   You mean to tell me you are so poor you never indulge in say BEER, Smokes, pizza ciggarettes???  
Basically it is how you asked for it and all the following posts that are rude self righteous and whinning that bugs me.
Had you asked differently I would have sent you one and said "keep it"

Tracy Latham
kirby/575.693.6699
Platinum Member

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »

Hi Kirby,  I remember my first deer took me 12 hours I felt like I had been hit by a truck, the total focus was exhausting, but I was soooooooo proud of that deer, one year later I thought it was the most embarassing thing I had ever seen so I took it apart and redid it, that redo is still kicking around and now I think it looks ridiculous and keep it hidden until I can redo it again some day.   So what I am saying is Good for you, you did a deer and you did it all on your own.   Ralph's critique is right on and honest, your length of butts are too long and too skinny, in fact one ear looks longer than the other.  You mentioned having a hard time matching cape to horns, that does not show up in the photo's.  The eye paint, much too dark, surprizingly just looking at the dead animal skin color or even one back from the tannery helps, if you can just make a blend of colors that are richer but similar to what you see, that is often a very muted color, (I use oil paints) I acheive the muted color by adding a touch of white to my burnt umber and black. Or make a grey and then add burnt umber till you like the color.  Your reference photo does show dark eye skin, but that line is very close to the rim of the eye, on your deer the dark is much to extensive.
Thats my two cents........for what its worth
Tracy

Ralph, Tracy, thanks for the help. I was pretty sure those are the things you would tell me. thanks. i had no idea how to paint the eyes as far as color goes, now i will be able to do better on the next one. the other thing is what is wrong with the antlers Oaks? I'm not sure how they should look so again, please explain. criticism with B>S> or vehemence is a true learning tool in my book. thanks. will post another one when i can get another one to put together. if i take this one apart, i will only have to get a cape that will fit, since i will already have the antlers and mannikin.  please God bring me a 7.25 x 18 mule deer for Easter.

thanks again guys.

kirby

Also i was told to put a little more clay under the nose and in the tear ducts, along with more clay in the ear butts.

I just reread this post and i don't see me asking for anything but advice, but then i am the only person who ever asked for a critique. yes?

"ps, one more thing for the easter bunny to bring me...rick carter's a to z video" is not begging or whining in my opinion, but then if you actually believe in the easter bunny there may be other issues.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:11:53 PM by kirby/575.693.6699 » Logged

Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 07:52:51 PM »

Kirby,,, you will save money by getting the video and building better mounts, but if you are to blind to see that, then keep wasting money on forms and eyes, then asking others here to tell you where you f'd up. I don't care anymore. I hope you build a wall full of clunkers before the light comes on.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: ??? « previous next »