Guinea Fowl questions
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 12:37:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619347 Posts in 191475 Topics by 43275 Members
Latest Member: attractionsarizona
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Guinea Fowl questions « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Guinea Fowl questions  (Read 811 times)
PatrickM
Silver Member

« on: April 05, 2011, 07:39:48 AM »

Skinning a Guinea Fowl later today to mount at a later date. A couple of questions:

What to do about the helmet/horn thing on the top? Can it be skinned off? Guess I'll find out later. I mount my birds using the original skull etc.

And what colour are their eyes? I'm guessing black from all the pics I've seen but I suppose they could be a very dark brown.

Thanks guys,

Patrick.

txoutdoors
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 07:52:56 AM »

The head will invert. Skin it up to the edge of the skin on the head. It wont impact the helmet/horn by doing it that way. Eyes look black to me.

alan webfoot
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:34:33 AM »

those 2 little ''wings'' or flaps at the side oh head will come off with the skin ,but are full of gristle fat and tissue,.You may have to cast or sculpt them back on ,as they will shrink up .Cheers how"s the weather in the UK?
PatrickM
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:49 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys - very helpful. Still thawing, taking longer than expected! I'm planning on skinning out those little flaps and filling with epoxy to minimize shrinkage. Weather isn't too great, fairly grey these days but meant to be getting better soon. We live in hope! I'll let you know how this turns out, not the best specimen, got pegged by a dog on a shoot and it's got a load of pin feathers. Patrick.
Nancy C
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:00:13 PM »

You wont be able to split those flaps. They are like solid chunks of gristle. I would just leave them, let them shrink, and then use the remnants as foundations for re-building them with epoxy. They dry very tough and sturdy. Put a little bit of super glue on them before you add the epoxy and it will make it easier.

The bony crown can be treated several ways. It actually is covered with skin, so it is possible to peel it free if you make a cut on the back edge. Once I peel off the skin I usually cut off the bony center of it flush with the rest of the skull and then fill it with epoxy when I reach the assembly stage. The skin on it is not very stretchy and it will keep its shape enough to show you how it should be rebuilt. If you cut the bony crest off first then you can invert the head on a guinea. No need to sew up the incision on the crest, either. It wil go back together with the epoxy filler to hold it.

PatrickM
Silver Member

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 01:08:12 PM »

great info Nancy, thanks!
finazducks
Platinum Member

EJ is not the only one to have two WASCO Awards

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:58:34 AM »

http://finazducks.com/  Than click on prices and number 295  than click on the camera

PatrickM
Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 06:38:31 AM »

Got it skinned eventually. This one doesn't have a very big bone crest so I was able to invert the head but I think I'll remove it when it comes to mounting. Difficult head to skin on these Guinea fowl, unusual features eg. the brow bits, similar to on a bird of prey, deep gap in front of the eyes and of course the helmet and the flaps.

* photos 073 (Medium).jpg (40.8 kB, 800x600 - viewed 246 times.)
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Guinea Fowl questions « previous next »