Paraloid? not mixing
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 03, 2015, 11:13:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1678411 Posts in 201792 Topics by 44988 Members
Latest Member: dakotaandgracestanley12
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Paraloid? not mixing « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Paraloid? not mixing  (Read 384 times)
hairy perch
Platinum Member

« on: February 14, 2015, 11:47:14 AM »

Mixed what I thought was paraloid and acetone yesterday and it was not mixing too well so I gave it overnight and today it is still not mixing with the acetone. Could I have grabbed the wrong bag and got some water crystals or something else.Does the temperature have to be above 50 for this stuff to mix? Or should I just order more paraloid and mark the bag this time. The stuff in the bottom of the container is soft but just not mixing.

"Hairy perch"
 Bruce
coroner2
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 12:26:51 PM »

Try the highest percentage of alcohol you have.
hairy perch
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »

I have xylene and denatured alcohol. which one do you suggest? Why did it mix with the acetone last time but not this time. This is what makes me think I maybe grabbed something else off the shelf. Going to try and mix the acetone with the known water crystals to see if same thing happens

"Hairy perch"
 Bruce
andy41372

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 01:27:35 PM »

Acetone works better than alcohol use a wooden dowel rod or screw driver and see if the crystals are soft if so shake it from time to time to help dissolve if not soft you have the wrong crystals or wrong solvent
hairy perch
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 02:27:29 PM »

Yes they are soft and all stuck together. If I remember the last time I mixed it it mixed overnite. I only put one cup of crystals in a gallon of acetone and it seems loke I still have a cut of soft  goo sitting in the bottom. Gonna keep trying

"Hairy perch"
 Bruce
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 03:43:54 PM »

What you have is fine. You need to keep stirring at it and poking it around. I use a wooden, unpainted paint stirring stick from the hardware store and I leave the stick in the bucket. The fact that it is soft means that it is dissolving. I keep my buckets like this in the house so they are at room temperature, not 50 degrees.

If you have mixed bags of things it is possible that you grabbed the wrong bag. Though the bag I have from Museum Conservators is labeled right on the bag.

hairy perch
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 04:06:04 PM »

Thank you Seawolf. I will try and bring it in the house where it is warmer. I tried putting it on a paint shaker for 5 min. , but still same results. just checked the temp of the acetone and it is only 52 degrees.

"Hairy perch"
 Bruce
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »

Last batch I made was about three cups in 3 1/2 gallons of acetone. It took a couple of days in the house with me poking it around and breaking it up into pieces when I remembered to do it.

hairy perch
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 06:34:12 PM »

Thanks now I feel like I have the right crystals. Last time I thought it only took over night but then again that might have been the middle of the summer

"Hairy perch"
 Bruce
lokireptiles
Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 09:10:34 AM »

If you think it may be water crystals take one crystal and drop it in HOT water! If it's Paraloid it WONT do anything. Water Crystals will inflate to 400x it's original size.

hairy perch
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »

Found out it was not the Acryloid crystals after all. Been in house for 2 days and put on paint shaker for !/2 hour and all I had was a ball of goo. Went to shop and searched high and low and finally found the crystals( marked Acryloid under a bunch of other bags. Thanks for all the help; back in business now without having to order anything.By the way the acryloid crystal is shaped totally different than the water crystal

"Hairy perch"
 Bruce
hairy perch
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 01:30:10 PM »

5 min on paint shaker with the right stuff and back in business. Everything mixed well. Thank you again Seawolf

"Hairy perch"
 Bruce
Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2015, 02:19:43 PM »

5 min? I need to invest in one of those. Oh .. wait .. I need to buy a snowblower first.  :) Back to dump/stir/wait/stir/stir/stir ..

hairy perch
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 08:56:35 PM »

Got it when I painted houses and apartments for 20 years. Go to Sherwin Williams or any other paint store. Most likely they have an old one sitting in the back they will sell

"Hairy perch"
 Bruce
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Paraloid? not mixing « previous next »