Buckets driving me crazy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 04:42:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1626166 Posts in 192632 Topics by 43523 Members
Latest Member: a206205
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Buckets driving me crazy « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Buckets driving me crazy  (Read 660 times)
CA Trapper
Gold Member

« on: August 04, 2014, 09:31:02 PM »

Anyone know of the best 5 gallon bucket for degreasing? I've tried different buckets from different stores. They all spring a leak along the bottom seam. Blue buckets from Lowe's are the worst for this. Any suggestions for a durable bucket? I only go to 120 degrees and nothing other than dawn and water.
Skullery
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 10:29:04 PM »

Try going to a grocery store with an in store bakery.   They get frostings and fillings in five gallon buckets.  They are strong, I have been using mine for years.

sbskullworks

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 05:14:06 AM »

In the past I've used the orange ones from Home Depot and have never had a problem...
miketruax
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 08:43:01 AM »

Old ones are the best..much thicker and heavier,  I pick them up at yard sales, flea markets etc.

Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Sea Wolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:51:02 AM »

I have been using the orange Home Depot buckets too. I have found that the white plastic buckets break down in sunlight. The orange lids seem to do the same but much slower. Haven't had one go across the bottom unless it froze.

CA Trapper
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 11:32:43 AM »

Thanks everyone! I'll ask the bakery dept at the grocers today. Never thought about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
grygon
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 04:06:28 PM »

Is there a freecycle near you?  Ask them.  That way you are not paying for buckets that leak and perhaps you can score a few old ones that are amazing and last forever (unless your mate grabs them for gardening then forget it lol).
adbrooks8
Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 04:37:19 PM »

Tractor Supply!  Been using the same buckets for 4 or 5 years now if not longer.  Handles have rusted away and bottoms are a little warped now but never a leak.
RWOOD
Bronze Member

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 05:11:40 PM »

I have dealt with the same issues. The food grade buckets at Lowe's are a little better but cost more. Old hydraulic  and paint buckets work well but obviously need to be cleaned out first.
Bones N Beasts
Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »

I use paint buckets with no problems
NWskullworks

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 12:13:51 PM »

I am a painter, and have been using 5-gallon paint buckets with no issues.  You can usually buy them at a paint store, but if i was you, i'd go in and put the word to the guys/gals behind the counter and ask them to ask painters to save some for ya, then go back in a week or two and pick them up.  If they have paint in them, just let them dry completely and it will peel right out.  They are pretty thick, sturdy plastic buckets.
good luck.
CA Trapper
Gold Member

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 12:27:53 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions! My uncle works for a school district in maintenance. I bet I could get all the free buckets I need. Didn't even occur to me

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Buckets driving me crazy « previous next »