Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( added insulation pic's)
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 05:26:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1571888 Posts in 184438 Topics by 41986 Members
Latest Member: brand
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( added insulation pic's) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( added insulation pic's)  (Read 14510 times)
Toxic
Platinum Member

Jim

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 12:14:57 PM »

looking at about $175 to $200 to get it 1 of them done based on the pro's spraying it and me getting a DIY kit. I could probably spray both with one kit. trying to get this done on the cheap, but the insulation needs to be good, will think about it til the weekend

I carry a gun, because a cop is too heavy
mbeck
Silver Member

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 12:36:03 PM »

Some really good Ideas!
coorsguy

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 08:05:14 PM »

looking at about $175 to $200 to get it 1 of them done based on the pro's spraying it and me getting a DIY kit. I could probably spray both with one kit. trying to get this done on the cheap, but the insulation needs to be good, will think about it til the weekend

Unless they're a hunter! ;D

The taxi that is doing my bull called the other day and has a beef he wants done, don't owe him a dime now.  I love trade work
RD Martin
Platinum Member

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 09:03:35 PM »

Especially this year. I had a lot of locals that couldn't pay. I kept plenty of firewood for the shop.

Unless they're a hunter! ;D

The taxi that is doing my bull called the other day and has a beef he wants done, don't owe him a dime now.  I love trade work

Toxic
Platinum Member

Jim

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »

finnished the other side of the tank this weekend, have the heating elements and thermostats to install tomorrow when I get in from work. Since the bottom section did not have a support for the tank I had to build one. cost is about $20 for the 2x4 (3), 2 boxes of deck screws (2 and 4 inch), and pipe hold downs.

Fist pick is of the bottom support.

simple butt joint worked for me

mounted the pipe support to the board with the pipe hold downs

Had to trim off the pipe ends so I used my large saw all for that

since this part of the tank was actually the top, I had to cut a recess hole for the tank opening, no pic of the hole just the marking of it.

after that I just added the tank and zip tied the top like the other one. Will add the heating elements and thermostats tomorrow. Have my insulation plan in place and add these pic's when completed.

blgoose

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 08:18:35 PM »

Awsome setup Toxic!
Toxic
Platinum Member

Jim

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 09:13:41 PM »

adding the heater element 101...... this is the element and the thermostat,  as purchased from Home Depot. These set me back about $14 plus the pvc fitting $.58 and a tube of high temp engine silicone $2.50. (not shown)

first thing I had to do was drill a hole in the tank. I did this with a 1.25 inch hole saw (check your heating element for the correct size hole needed) first I located my spot on the side of the tank.

then drilled the hole with the hole saw

The heating element comes with a rubber seal on it

but the thin tank will not let the element tighten properly for the seal to work. that is where the pcv adaptor comes in. The adaptor threads onto the element to pull it tight to the tank. but first after threading the element into the tank.

I add a coating of the high temp silicone as an added seal on the inside.

then thread the pvc fitting on and tighten by hand to seal the fitting to the tank.

Thats all I have on the element and will cover the thermostat and wiring tomorrow.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:08:43 PM by Toxic » Logged

Jason O
Platinum Member

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 08:33:41 AM »

nice post ,i have 4 of those tanks waiting to be done ,thanks for sharing your project
JThomas

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 12:58:17 AM »

Sweet setup!!
x2

Bootup

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 09:11:43 PM »

very nice. How do you ground your electric system?
Toxic
Platinum Member

Jim

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 09:39:01 PM »

Getting to that, wanted to finnish it completly on the next post, should be done tomorrow night

Wildside
Platinum Member

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 08:39:08 AM »

Looking good!
Toxic
Platinum Member

Jim

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 04:15:06 PM »

thermostat installation is easy, get the thermostat (lower) fromHome depot and a 20 foot extension cord from dollar general.

I located a couple of small bolts and also was lucky to have some small plastic washers to go with it.

I located my spot for the thermostat, about the middle of the water level is best. drilled 2 small holes for the bolts and installed the thermostat. I covered the bolt heads inside the degreaser with the high temp silicone.

I then take the cord and cut the end off (make sure you have the correct end) separated the wires. The heating element will use the white (neutral) and black (hot) wires. the tank is plastic and will be ungrounded so the green wire is just cut back and not used here.

I attached the white and black wires to the heating element and secured the cord to the tank so it would not be pulled on.

I then secured the cord around the degreaser until I reached the thermostat which is on the opposite side of the tank from the heater element.
I then cut the black wire to attach to the thermostat. I use the black wire so that the thermostat will stop  the voltage to the element when open.
this way you don't have voltage at the heating element all the time. I then secured the cord to keep the wires from being pulled at the thermostat.

all that is left at this point is the insulation. I will add this to the thread if needed later. This tank is actually going to have 2 heater elements but just showed one for an example of how to hook them up. you can add these heaters to just about anything. they will even work in a 5 gal. bucket if needed.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:43:53 PM by Toxic » Logged

Bootup

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 11:49:05 PM »

Nice, very clean.
RD Martin
Platinum Member

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 10:52:52 PM »

Toxic, what gauge wire?? Looks small for wattage you are pulling? I have seen them melt the smaller gauge wires :o ;D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Skulls and Skeletons  |  Topic: Degreaser build, Thought I would Share ( added insulation pic's) « previous next »