Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 15, 2014, 05:28:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1608815 Posts in 189870 Topics by 42983 Members
Latest Member: TreeTrunkTaxidermy
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: wire wheel review « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: wire wheel review  (Read 3089 times)
Brian F

« on: September 27, 2006, 11:18:08 PM »

hi everybody.

I have always used a homemade wheel, but kind of want to buy another one for my new location.  can anyone tell me about the wheel that vandykes has?  can it handle ducks through turkeys?  is it worth the money? yada yada

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/01326184/

thanks,
brian
JonHarleTX
Platinum Member

Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 11:23:29 PM »

I'm sure it will handle ducks and geese just fine, but I would hesitate to say it would be an easy job with a turkey..

I have a homemade one too..
stiff brush and a 1750 hp motor...

It will throw the turkey fat quciker than you can bat an eye..
It works on the smaller stuff too, just takes some getting used to..

Brian, You've done enough birds to know what you want when it comes to a flesher... I personally would make another to suit my individual needs before I purchased one.. I think they are incredibly over priced.

Jon
~
Brian F

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 11:46:17 PM »

thanks jon - and probably you're right.  I'm just looking for an easy way out.  I have just moved to League City, so am without a shop now (and i miss my taxidermy).  just want something that will fit in the apartment (lol).  thanks for your input.  hope everything is going well for you.  brian
Jim McNamara
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 09:37:29 AM »

Brian,
                    I use the Vandykes wheel. Had it for a long time. I would not recommend it for turkeys, I quite a few every year and it is too easy to stall the wheel out. I use a soft brush doubled up on the arbor but it is time consuming at best. If I use a stiff brush it catches too much stalling out the wheel. 
                                                        My best, Jim

'Walk with the King today and be a blessing!'
mimes
Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 03:26:11 PM »

Brian

Looked for ya to be at Jacksonville again but didnt see ya. I use the one sold by Authentic Tax Supply and have been please with it so far.
trophybirds.com
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 03:52:56 PM »

i talked with james at authentic about wheels a while back and they will actually make the box any size you want now.i have one of their's and have been pleased but would love a larger housing for geese and turkeys....
Becky P
Platinum Member

One must believe the glass is half full.

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 03:55:52 PM »

Brian, you saw mine when we were at Cory's seminar in Kerrville, it's the one from Van Dyke's but reinforced. I use a heavier wire wheel on mine, even for ducks (some of the guys were complaining that my wheel was too stiff, guess I'm just used to it. LOL)I have no problem with turkeys except that the arbor needs to be longer, there's not much working room. I only do a couple of turkeys a year so I can deal with it.

www.beckyswildlifestudio.com
Accepting wholesale work - birds, lifesize, gameheads.
Brian F

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 07:41:01 PM »

Mimes - thanks for the input.  I was actually really hoping to make it to the show again, but I was just too busy.  I didn't have anything ready anyway, and I didn't want to pay for the gas.  just didn't work out.  info packet looked like it would have been a great show though - I'm assuming it was.  I really did have a great time there back in 2005.

trophybirds - also, thanks for your input.  I checked out your website!  nice stuff.  I sent a friend in AL your info.  I don't know that he has anything right now, but I figured that's easier than shipping to TX.

Becky - Thank you for your reply as well.  I wish I would have tried that wheel while I was there!  kind of a missed opportunity.  I'm not in that big a hurry to get another one, but was just doing some research.  I hope you've had a great summer - and I guess I'll see you at the next mini.  have a good weekend!  brian
Brian F

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 07:42:35 PM »

and thank you Jim!
Bill Richards
Bronze Member

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 08:20:11 PM »

I have the heavy duty bird flesher from Van Dykes. It won't stall on a big job like a turkey, and does a good job. The wire is soft, so it can handle smaller birds as well. You can add a second wheel if you want to. Well worth the money for turkeys, IMO
Bill

Welcome to my world
trophybirds.com
Gold Member

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 02:04:18 AM »

thanks brian......
Rowdy Tomlinson
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 10:21:40 PM »

i do not like the bird flesher that van dykes has to offer.. the brush is too thick on smaller birds like teal .... it doesnt clean between the quills like a smaller brush does. ive tried to find a replacement brush but the bore doesnt match anything that i find or like.... just my opinion
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: wire wheel review « previous next »