Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 07:26:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1605809 Posts in 189439 Topics by 42873 Members
Latest Member: noaverageangel
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: turkey heads « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: turkey heads  (Read 1502 times)
fawnter

« on: April 27, 2011, 05:49:37 PM »

i was looking on vandykes for a turkey head to mount one that im going to shoot, but they are 60$ EACH!! can i mount the turkey without the fake head or do i have to use the reproduction head? or where can i purchase a cheaper one?? please this would help me very much!!

i love my porky pie
turkeyjim
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 07:18:16 AM »

it's turkey season, get one from a friend or shoot one, freeze it and cast it.
Jim

Jim's Whitetail Taxidermy I do the best with what I got, just remember it wasn't a moose you shot!
kikkertinz
Platinum Member

Glass half full

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 04:21:18 PM »

yeh you would be surprised how many people will hook you up with some birds for practice    just spread the word, and remember those that helped ya out
fawnter

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »

yah im getting the turkey myself, i just need to find a head, i didnt know if i could just do the head as i would a regualr bird. i have preservative, injectable, and i would paint it up. but do i HAVE to buy a fake head??

i love my porky pie
Randy Miller
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 06:23:15 PM »

Yes you HAVE to buy a fake head, it's in the rules.
CougarMan69

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »

ive had similar questions but i found a site that sells a form for the head and neck for you to just skin the head out, its obvioiyusly able to be done, as to how..... im trying to find that out myself. I try my very best to keep everything i mount all original, after all, your are mounting a specific turkey not just a turkey that is similar in size.
t. wright
Bronze Member

Timothy Wright

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »

use the head off the turkey you kill,,just send it off to be freeze dried.. plenty of people on here that offer that service
24/7

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 10:01:35 PM »

I hav only done 4 turkeys. The first 3 I used poly heads but used a freezdryed head on the last one and liked it much better. Boon docks taxidermy is where I will buy all my tuirkey supplies. Very quality materials and always available for questions. Good people

Wild woods taxidermy
kermmie30

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 10:59:32 PM »

Hey Folks. Sorry to be a new kid on the block with silly questions but how can I learn how to do the freeze dry processing - correctly! I am a taxidermist in MO and do a whole lot of turkey work. I am sick of selling my heads to a guy who is buying them for 4-7 bucks when I know I can do better than that on my own! I can do something with them to sell them myself rather than give them to somebody else for pennies! He is buying them from people that don't know what to do with them. I want to eliminate the middle man! Any books, articles or is this as easy as the guy next door told me...not that I would trust one of the folks that live out here in the sticks around me. They probably eat the heads! lol
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 06:37:54 AM »

You can mount the original head, as long as it is fleshed, and preserved very well, it will shrink excessively and will need to be rebuilt with apoxy sculpt, but it can be done if you have no money to play the game with. I'd never use this process I just posted for a customer, I'd have the customer buy a freeze dried head.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
alan webfoot
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »

kermmie30 why are you selling heads then turn around and pay extra for a ''in stock'' head ,just send those off to a quality freeze dry person. A small unit will run you into the THOUSANDS,plus costly upkeep maintenance etc.Mr T. your right ,,but its very time consuming and as valuable as time is,, in the long run freeze ship ,, get back,,paint is a better plan. Costly out of the wallet but a much better end result.
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 08:45:37 PM »

learn the right way to finish a repo head. When they are doing correctly, they are very convincing. The reason most don't like them is because they cannot finish them. You will never get all the over spray off the feathers on a freeze dried head and IMO it looks horrible up close. My way, the feathers go on after the head is painted, no overspray.

cooterwhitt
Gold Member

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:05:52 PM »

Exactly a lil glue and some feathers off the real head and a repro looks like the real deal and super easy to deal with and tougher than freeze dried

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

BACKWOODS TAXIDERMY AND KENNEL
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: turkey heads « previous next »