Buying and Selling Taxidermy
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 02:00:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1612240 Posts in 190431 Topics by 43056 Members
Latest Member: dsdoman
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Buy, Sell and Trade  |  Wanted (Moderator: Michael J Vaden)  |  Topic: Buying and Selling Taxidermy « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Buying and Selling Taxidermy  (Read 9094 times)
kali.coble

« on: May 05, 2011, 10:54:35 AM »

Hey guys! I am looking to start buying and selling taxidermy (I don't want to be a taxidermist...I just want to buy and sell it) in Oklahoma. I have searched everywhere online and cannot find any rule, regulations, laws, etc to follow. I know that ignorance of the law is not an excuse and I've heard of people selling a whitetail mount or whatever on Craigslist and have the game wardens come knocking at their door. So, all that being said, any information, tips or links you could give me would be extremely helpful! Thanks!
Old Fart
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »

This is a case of "checking on line" is NOT enough. You will need to contact your local game warden, in person, and get the information from them. Then you will probably need to go "higher up" and get everything you can "in writing". Game laws are deliberately vague, to allow the wardens a lot of discretion, but it leaves open for each warden to interpret them in a different way.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
dc240nt
Gold Member

Lets Talk Big Bucks!!

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »

And every state has their own rules. Whats legal to sell in one state may be illegal in the next
kirk33
Gold Member

lighten up buddy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 06:25:41 PM »

I say it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Providing wholesale fleshing/tanning services, as well as fish mounting for the taxidermy industry.
byrdman
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 07:44:55 PM »

yeah tell the CO that ....best start by getting a state license
kali.coble

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 10:54:51 PM »

Thanks for your responses, everyone. I can't seem to get a game warden to give me the time of day. I called the chief of law enforcement. But all I got was an "That isn't allowed at all"...But anyway, I'm going to keep pushing on and doing my research...

@kirk23, Sometimes I think you're right in saying that...just can't afford the fine!  :)
byrdman
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 12:53:19 AM »

go online to your state dnr website and search for permits/lic. that should get you a start.
bullwhipcracker
Gold Member

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 11:40:28 AM »

Most law enforcers can't tell you the regs beyond simple bag limits and size limits. Write to the DNR in your state via letter or email. They are obligated to respond, and you will have a hard copy.
ron
P.S.
Nearly every state has their own version of the Freedom of Information Act, referred to variously as Open Records, Open Meetings, Open Government or Sunshine laws.
You can also request in writing copies of any regs that pertain to what you want to do.
Many states charge up to $1 per page (copy fee) as the info is "free".

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
Boundary Waters
Gold Member

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 02:45:01 PM »

I would stay away from all migratory birds, watrfowl,  as well as hawks, eagles, owls, scavengers, song birds.
Also buying or reselling bass. 9I believe there is a Black Bass act of 1954 that prohibits the sale of all bass mounted or fresh) I beliieve rules on those two catagories are the same in all of the continental USA.
State and Federal taxidermy permits are reasonable and easy to obtain. You should get some guidelines for your state with them. But also, when in possesion of a licence, It gives you Licence to ask the local wardens specific questions, they need to tell you the answer as well as show you where the law is written as such. If they refuse, ask for their superior and you will find out what you need.
Don't let some donut soaker give you a generic answer that it's all illegal just to get you out of their lives. It's Part of their job.      Good Luck.
dc240nt
Gold Member

Lets Talk Big Bucks!!

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 10:07:24 PM »

I would stay away from all migratory birds, watrfowl,  as well as hawks, eagles, owls, scavengers, song birds.
Also buying or reselling bass. 9I believe there is a Black Bass act of 1954 that prohibits the sale of all bass mounted or fresh) I beliieve rules on those two catagories are the same in all of the continental USA.
State and Federal taxidermy permits are reasonable and easy to obtain. You should get some guidelines for your state with them. But also, when in possesion of a licence, It gives you Licence to ask the local wardens specific questions, they need to tell you the answer as well as show you where the law is written as such. If they refuse, ask for their superior and you will find out what you need.
Don't let some donut soaker give you a generic answer that it's all illegal just to get you out of their lives. It's Part of their job.      Good Luck.

Good post and good advice. It is not illegal to sell taxidermy mounts with the exceptions of endangered and migratory. Just be sure that if a permit is needed, and I dont know what kind of permit would be required except maybe a state taxidermy license, and even that is questionable, but if you need one then get it. Also you will want to be familiar with all state and federal laws and restrictions. It isnt that big of a deal. There are many people who use this site to buy and sell (broker) mounts, that have never been in one iota of trouble for selling legal mounts and transactions.
kali.coble

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »

Thanks for all the great advice. After doing some research and calling around, I've found out there is no special permit needed to sell taxidermy here in OK. The only thing they are adamant about is that I cannot sell native wildlife like whitetail if it was taken in Oklahoma and I have the papers to prove it. Should I get my Federal Fish and Game Wildlife Permit just as a precaution?   
jwprentice1
Gold Member

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »

If you are not mounting migratory birds for others then you do not need a Federal Taxidermy Permit. Make sure you have your butt covered with papers of legally taken game. Upland birds can be bought and sold but again I would make sure to have papers to show they were legally taken and or acquired.
amemorysaved@ymail.com

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 09:53:14 PM »

You can sell all the sparrows and starlings you want. No license needed to shoot them. Upland game birds are ok. Migratory waterfowl is not legal to sell in any state. Can't sell, purchase, taxidermy, or bring even a whisker of a cougar into California, even when obtained legally with a license from another state. Any mounted cougars have to have proof they were taken before 1990 for a person to have them in possession in California.

I told a fish and game officer that we should take the "nuisance" cats that are trapped and release them in San Francisco, Los Angeles and other big cities so the fools that got that law passed could deal with the consequences of their actions. My neighbor lost 5 sheep in 2 days from a cougar. We are close to a golf course and the cat has been seen there chomping on the deer.
Wapabilly71

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 02:28:20 AM »

It's ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL about money to them. But it is what it is so i guess you've got to do what they want you to do so that they can an extra $ out of you.
Southern_Trophy
Silver Member

USMC O.I.F. Veteran OohRah!

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 07:21:27 PM »

it is illegal in Oklahoma to sell any bone or hooves from an animal. So if your deer heads have the skull plate in them, they would be illegal to sell.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Buy, Sell and Trade  |  Wanted (Moderator: Michael J Vaden)  |  Topic: Buying and Selling Taxidermy « previous next »