Dead Turkey Mount
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2014, 02:24:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1626362 Posts in 192671 Topics by 43532 Members
Latest Member: hostagedk
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Dead Turkey Mount « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dead Turkey Mount  (Read 2646 times)
TRKYHTR

« on: May 18, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »

I've only mounted a couple of turkeys and I know there are some of the best turkey taxidermist around on this site so I wanted to post this pic and get your thoughts. The problem with a dead mount is that I fought with the idea of making it look dead, ugly, or making it look good but not so lifelike/deadlike. If you know what I mean. Your thoughts.

TRKYHTR

Daniel Callan
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:02:30 PM »

looks dead to me.
good job, nice paint job on head
nice spurs

I love my job
buckyb3
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:38:17 PM »

If you want criticism. I think scapulars (shoulders) are too low and a little too far apart. My dead reference shows the top of the scaps touching the bottom of the copper speculum on the wing. Your's is about 1-1/2 to 2 inches low. I would also close the wings more than you did. Although I always stretch them out before taking pictures so they look almost like yours. I had the same debate about making it look too dead or grooming it too perfect. Even thought about shoving a few dead leaves in between feathers or tracts. Not a bad mount for only having done " a couple of turkeys"

waddell
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:50:30 PM »

I'm not positive but would a dead turkey still have those colorations in the head?  The ones that I have seen that are dead are usually all a lightish blue or purple...I could be wrong though
CJN

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 10:08:43 PM »

Not to bad for only doing a few. The bird is too symetrical for a dead mount, kick tail off to one side a little, bring one wing in a little and make a slight twist to it so it doesn't look like the other one. The head is not painted right, when dead they have the same pattern of color but all color is very muted, red is light pink, blue is blueish white and dull and white is dull with a pinkish hue. Your on the right track keep at it.
TRKYHTR

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 10:26:41 PM »

Thats what I meant by making it look dead or look good. I choose to make the head look better. Although I do agree with you. I looked at alot of dead hanging turkeys and they varied from wings being open to wings hugging the body. I think alot has to do with how long the turkeys were hanging. I too pull my wings out to take a picture, they look better that way. Thanks for the comments.

TRKYHTR
Joshbritt
Bronze Member

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 12:28:01 AM »

Awesome!
buckwounder
Platinum Member

Sometimes you get lucky...

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 01:02:51 AM »

I agree with the coloration of the head. i personally have never mounted a turkey, but do have some experience with dead turkeys. When turkeys die, the colors in their head fades quick, the red color around the neck area turns white, and i have seen that the blue color turns almost purple, as blood pools into the head. The turkey pictured was never hung up, so the colors are faded, but there isn't much blood in the head of the bird, which is why the blue color is still there.

CLIFFTAX
Platinum Member

Taxidermist

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 04:15:57 AM »

Hey I think you did a great job.

What's On Your Wall?
Brian
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 11:58:07 AM »

i think the mount looks great. i have to also agree there istoo much red on the head. i would do more blues and purples and then it would look alot better. but either way its a great looking mount. heres a pic of my tom turkeys head 1/2 hour after it was harvested!

* dead turkey.JPG (27.33 kB, 365x274 - viewed 2169 times.)

srholmes30
Platinum Member

Living each and every day

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:09:12 PM »

Great looking turkey

U.S.Army Vetern 3rd RANGER Bn  75th RANGER Rgt   ISAIAH 6:8
 My Dad "Just passing through"  1935-2011
 I shall walk this but once,There for what ever good I might do,let me do it now.For I shall never walk this again.
vetanddamnproud
Bronze Member

Pray for our troops who are still out in harms way

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 12:54:57 AM »

Looks great to me maybe just wanna dull head colors a littel love how you have hooks on limb

Iraqi Freedom Veteran '03-'04
South Carolina
(843)457-1998
Smeja
Silver Member

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 01:05:14 AM »

wow great looking mount joe. i wish i had a mount that looked that good
BeckyBird
Platinum Member

My Baby Bluebirds

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 09:16:14 AM »

It looks very good, and I'm sure your customer will love it!
TRKYHTR

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 07:31:25 PM »

I'm the customer. Thanks everybody.

TRKYHTR
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Dead Turkey Mount « previous next »