Locked antlers
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2014, 11:41:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1624977 Posts in 192423 Topics by 43480 Members
Latest Member: hitchnpost
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Locked antlers « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Locked antlers  (Read 3542 times)
Redfisher
Bronze Member

« on: June 14, 2011, 02:43:57 PM »

Would anyone have or might know where I can find pics of a shoulder mount set of whitetail deer with locked antlers and mounted on the same wall, and is this type of mount even possible, or has anyone mounted a set like this? I have googled images and can't find anything.  I can post pics of the locked set if it helps.
Michael Brigman
Bronze Member

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »

I'd like to see the looked set. ;D

outback195

Dont hold this against me

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 03:33:46 PM »

Here are a couple, Just typed Fighting bucks taxidermy in the search for images.

* fighting_deer_edited-2.jpg (76.26 kB, 750x564 - viewed 3480 times.)

* fighting bucks.jpg (25.74 kB, 500x375 - viewed 2427 times.)

Firefighter / EMT
Redfisher
Bronze Member

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »

I will post the pictures when I get home today around 6:30.  I also have another question.  If u were hunting and came across a pair of deer locked up barely alive would u shoot the antler off one and let them live or would u shoot both deer.  I personally would shoot the antler off one and hope for the best.
Rhasputin
Platinum Member

The Expert

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »

I would shoot the antler off if I could. . . unless both were near death, then I'd put them out of their misery and take my share of the spoils.

A single pair of hands at work accomplishes more than a billion clasped in prayer.
Redfisher
Bronze Member

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »

Thank u outback195!
Southern_Trophy
Silver Member

USMC O.I.F. Veteran OohRah!

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 04:41:14 PM »

Kill  'em  all and let the processer sort 'em out  LOL!!
outback195

Dont hold this against me

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »

No problem, A mentor of mine mounted a locked set of antlers once on top of a coffee table made of mostly glass ! He said it was one of the hardest mounts he's done due to the horn's not able to come apart. He had to rebuild forms and position them to fit the antlers.
Thank u outback195!

Firefighter / EMT
Frog
Bronze Member

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:31:18 PM »

I have mounted a locked set before without unlocking them. I had to do a pedestal that would fit the way that the racks were locked together. The antlers would have to be in a perfect position to do both on the wall.
Bill Yox
Forum Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:40:26 PM »

I have done many sets and I always mount them together unless theyre locked because the heads helped lock them as well. Even then I tie and tape them so the integrity of the locks are saved. I think thats important. Unfortunately, the head angles of the locks dictate the angles and not the wall. Enjoy them, as theyre a lot of fun to mount, I love doing those alterations.
Lone Wolf Taxidermy
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 10:20:15 PM »

I hope this description makes sense.

I did one and as Bill said I left the antlers attached and protected that.

I decided to have one deer attached to the wall and the other suspended from that deer.

The first deer was mounted in a hard turn with some twist in the neck (altered this way) and both sets of antlers attached in the normal manner of any shoulder mount.

I then mounted the second deer after needed alterations and left only the top of the head open. Once at that point I attached that deer to the second set of antlers and finished sewing the top of the head. The antler sets in bondo for each deer was done prior to mounting the first deer so it was a simple matter of holding the second deer in place and applying 4 screws and sewing.

You need to do all your alterations and test fitting before putting the skin on the first one of course. Get everything mocked up and proceed mounting. It will be fun.

It turned out pretty cool and some where I have 35 MM pics of it as it was about 18 years ago. But I hope you can get the idea of what I did and it helps you if you take'em.

Billy
www.lonewolftaxidermy.com
arrowflinger

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »

IMHO, I think that if you are going to mounts locked up horns it should be on dual full body mounts.

Maybe some of you will have examples of your work that change my minds but the two mounts above just look a little odd.  The work is impressive, but the first one looks like they are making out and the second one looks really odd like one of the deer will fall off the wall.  Again, it's not the quality of those mounts, they just look oddly positioned.  I think it would be a challenge to get dual mounts not to look odd.

I'd like to see a picture of the one dangling from the other, I bet that would look cool.
Redfisher
Bronze Member

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 06:00:49 PM »

Thanks for the good advise and Lone Wolf your decription makes sense.  Suspending one from the other would be cool, and i hope to start this project soon.
antlerman
Platinum Member

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 06:56:07 PM »

Sorry about the quality of this picture, but here's one I did several years ago. I too left the racks intact and casted and molded the legs and body to do what I needed them to do.
arrowflinger

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 09:20:29 PM »

Sorry about the quality of this picture, but here's one I did several years ago. I too left the racks intact and casted and molded the legs and body to do what I needed them to do.

That's really cool.....makes it look more realistic and less posed....IMHO not that it matters.

AF
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Locked antlers « previous next »