Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 06:10:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1595908 Posts in 188103 Topics by 42623 Members
Latest Member: Aka skulls
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Habitat and Exhibit  |  Topic: Cedar fence post for pedestal « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cedar fence post for pedestal  (Read 2187 times)
knife2sharp

« on: July 27, 2011, 11:14:42 AM »

I have a nice piece of cedar fence post to use as a pedestal. This is more like a cedar log without bark, and it's about 4 feet long.  The neat thing about this piece is the natural pattern on the top which looks to have been done by bugs and one time.  This piece is well weathered and I believe is free of bugs.  It had been in pile sitting out in the dry aired Wyoming weather for several years.  

I plan on putting a mule deer pedestal shoulder mount on this post.  I think I can attach the bracket to the back side of the post, instead of trying to bore down from the top.  My question is what would be the best way to attach this to wider base?  I don't plan on doing a scene at the bottom because it's too great a distance.  I just want a way to attach the log so it's stable.  I also don't want something that has a wide footprint.  I think it would look good with a round base of some kind and if I can find one deep enough I can secure it with Quickrete, like a fence post footing.  I think this would work better then trying to secure it from the bottom somehow.

I've seen these round bases used by other taxidermists in some of the supply catalogs, but I haven't found anyone that offers them for sale.  I"m thinking they are custom made, which could be quite spendy.  Unless someone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.
knife2sharp

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »

I'd like a base similar to this size, but can't find anyone that sells them.  

roostinridge
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 05:17:26 PM »

You can attach with Loctite Power Grip and a couple of screws if the wood is dry and clean. Comes in a caulking tube.

trky
Silver Member

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 12:20:12 PM »

I can make you a base . Just let me know the dimensions and I can price it for you.   Thanks
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Habitat and Exhibit  |  Topic: Cedar fence post for pedestal « previous next »