new .. need guidance and critique
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 11:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1618085 Posts in 191244 Topics by 43230 Members
Latest Member: heatherpatton
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: new .. need guidance and critique « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: new .. need guidance and critique  (Read 5290 times)
GBRUCH
Platinum Member

"I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 08:16:25 AM »

It looks really nice in my opinion from a picture (pics can be decieving).    I have seen and judged lots of fish in my day and it imeets or exceeds the norm that I see being done by taxidermists.  I ? the pink color in front of the pectoral fin and can suggest to be carefull of the dark overspray on the spiny dorsal base.  You mentioned you still need to detail the bottom 1/3 and it looks like it does need more work but I think you did good.   We as taxidermists never get to the point were we say "I am there - perfection" so I say go ahead and do a few fish for your interested clients.   Be very carefull and price your work correctly-----too many taxidermists underprice the job.   I think you will do fine.   Your clients can do far worse than having someone like you (someone with passion about fish replicas) prepare their trophy fish.   

Good luck with your fledgling business.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord,not for men" ......Colossians 3:23 
God has greatly enriched our lives with beauty. And we in turn express our gratitude by displaying his glory in our art. -- Julia Ackerman link

Gary Bruch
www.bruchsfish.com
PacWest Alaska
Platinum Member

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 08:31:53 AM »

I think you should spend some money educating yourself (class or DVD) on reproduction finishing until you know that you are doing an adequate job. And then, try to be a bit less preachy regarding catch-and-release. There is not a damn thing wrong with keeping some trophy fish.
wishbone
Bronze Member

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 10:09:43 AM »

i think its a sweet paint job!

tfrenzel

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 11:34:07 AM »

I did slip a little with that fleshtone..in front of the pec fin.
I am not trying to put anyone out of business here and it is the clients choice afterall if they want to keep fish.  I just Have a passion for art ( wildlife art) and thought I could extend this into a side business that would make a few $$ for the time that I spend anyways doing my art. 

I really do appreciate all of the help and criticism.  I can't better my work without it. Same as a painting in a gallery. You learn more by sitting and listening to everyone critique.

Ill try to get this thing finished in the next few days and repost complete with some gloss and wood.

Best way to get better is to do more

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

No ammo here
bullwhipcracker
Gold Member

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 11:50:51 AM »

Nothing wrong with hanging your shingle now.
Show your clients what you can do, and the "market" will decide weather you are good enough.
Here in the deepest of south, that fish is actually quite a bit better than the "norm"...unfinished and as is.
 I suggest checking out some videos and attend the seminars your state association puts on. You have great talent, just need a little polish is all.
Ron

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »

When you lay your ego out there, don't get defensive when someone steps on it. So it IS your second one and it MAY look better than some professionals out there, but YOU ARE AN ART MAJOR.  To me, that doesn't cut you as much slack as a rank beginner as I'd expect you to take reference pictures and simulate them better. I would expect a better representation from someone with your background.

I'm using the word "harsh" even though some back off that.  The spots MAY look like SOME bass, but the majority of them don't.  The spot pattern is random but still organized and as they work up and down the vertical line of the fish, the top ones fade into the dark dosal and the bottom ones (which are nonexistant on your fish) fade into the off-white of the belly.  

In your winter spare time, why not invest in a couple videos by guys like Matt Thompson or Rick Krane to see the subtleties that can make your work stand out better. Go to the tutorial section here and look for a world class one from Cole Cruickshank on how he paints a largemouth bass. Then if you scroll a bit farther, you'll see another world class paint job on a salmon by Jeff Lumsden. What those two guys show is the difference between a "commercial" guy like me a a person who "majors in fish art."

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
FishArt
Platinum Member

Marty & Son Cass Lake Minnesota

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 12:43:37 PM »

I have a similar background as yourself. So, my opinion carries a LOT more weight than everybody elses's opinion here - lol! J/K of course.

Anywho... I also see a lot of good. And, I would say most any customer would be happy with that replica. My biggest issues with your pant job is you have a lot of green going on there. AND, that MAY have been how the fish looked, but I tend to add a little more color here and there to spice things up a bit. In your case, some fleshtones/pinks will compliment those greens nicely. I don't like the pec fin - looks painted to me. I think the spot pattern looks pretty darn good for the most part except you lose it a bit at the tail. Your spots look better than 80%+ of the mounts I've seen out there.

My advice is a bit different than most others. It couldn't hurt to get a DVD or training, but I think you can manage just fine with subtle improvements via just paying a little closer attention to reference pics. You obviously have artistic ability and are starting out WAY above most just cutting your teeth. But, as George said I think having the Art background the expectation is higher and hence the reason why many are SO critical. Being an Art Major you also understand that critiquing your work is the way you improve. But, you also know MANY people are LOOKING for problems and many only look at this and not the plus side of things. I'm sure you have thicker skin than most because of your background. Keep in mind also that many on this site have very high expectations that (again) most if not all customers won't have. If you're going to want to make money at this - forget what the perfectionists say because one thing they won't tell you is that they are hobbiests and they don't even know or care how much money they make. IF you want to make a decent wage at this as a side job you must learn what is important and what's not when it comes to painting fish. Learning techniques that give you the most bang for your buck. Certainly improve, but you do need to swallow your ego and cut the umbilical at times. Even the best will admit that they get overly retentive at times and (again) most customers aren't going to notice the difference between those that tip all those scales once or the ones that tip them three or four times. Do a couple more replicas and hang them in your office for potential customers to see. Let them decide if you're ready. You'll improve with each fish you do and you'll begin to see things for yourself. Again, good reference is critical. Go to garage sales and buy some fishing mags and cut photos out of them. Many great closeups in fishing magazines and oftentimes you can get a box of them at a G-sale for a song. Not having to rely on paint schedules and others techniques will help you develop your own style. You are light years ahead of most of us when we started...

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Fish Specialties Taxidermy
Shorewood, Illinois
www.FishSpecialties.NET
r.rase78
Silver Member

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 12:57:33 PM »

if art is what you love i say go with it. i think your second is nice and you will improve as you go. i think its great to offer your clients the service. you can take pis of their catch measure order repro and you have a pic with customer and their fish that you could use for reference. nothin the matter with releaseing those big fish though i like a good skin mount but unless thats what you want them big fish usualy are not that good of eatin and up were im from in mich there are also some advisorys in some locales warning on eating larger specimens because they cary more mercury dioxins etc. so in my opinion go for it!
den007
Platinum Member

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »

I will agree with Joey. I have seen many fish of poorer quality from full time taxidermists. Yeah, it is a little green, yeah the lateral line marks could be delineated a bit, some scale tipping,, whites are a bit too white. However, overall, nothing to be ashamed of especially for a second mount. Better than many.

Dennis Murawska
Angler's Art Taxidermy
"To live is not necessary...
To fish is necessary."   Latin inscription
Blackwater Taxidermy
Bronze Member

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 07:39:19 PM »

Nothing wrong with hanging your shingle now.
Show your clients what you can do, and the "market" will decide weather you are good enough.
Here in the deepest of south, that fish is actually quite a bit better than the "norm"...unfinished and as is.
 I suggest checking out some videos and attend the seminars your state association puts on. You have great talent, just need a little polish is all.
Ron

X2. Keep it up buddy. That fish looks pretty damn good.

Thank God Im back in Texas!!!
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 07:47:01 PM »

You guys do realize I hope that this is a REPRODUCTION FISH. We are addressing the PAINT JOB only.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:49:46 PM by George Roof » Logged

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
wishbone
Bronze Member

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 08:02:27 PM »

You guys do realize I hope that this id a REPRODUCTION FISH. We are addressing the PAINT JOB only.

ha! i like this.....fish TAXIDERMY is a different ballgame!

Blackwater Taxidermy
Bronze Member

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 10:58:36 PM »

You guys do realize I hope that this is a REPRODUCTION FISH. We are addressing the PAINT JOB only.

Yep... Its what he said he wanted to do right? Reproduction.... He is well on his way.

Thank God Im back in Texas!!!
John C
Platinum Member

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 11:35:48 PM »

Those spots look like 90% of the bass from Table rock lake. Thiese lakes a clear clean and cold below 25 feet. sometimes the clarity down deep can be 100 ft.

Maybe and I am getting the funny feeling most of the fishheads dont have clear water. The olny time we get the dafed spots is on durty water bass or stressed bass. Also dont get those halos int he line down the side like the souther bass have.

I have fished over most of the area of the USA from Arkansas to Flordia and to the West coast and caught bass and trout in many many places and I seldom see faded fish, this inclides Milford and Tuttle Creek in Kansas, when its been raining those lakes bass will be faded but in the hot summer when the water clears they also have a hard defined line.

Hence the name linesides bass as the oldtimers call them.
John C
Platinum Member

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 11:50:31 PM »

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2474/3766103803_9d05dbdcc2_z.jpg
Notice the cloudy water. line not  extremely defined.

Very defined but narrow line. Cant really tell about the water but I think it was spring and the temps low.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/97/339180184_1ad5979c31_z.jpg

http://www.crestlodge.com/bass_fishing/fullsize/catch_big_bass_table_rock_lake_fs.jpg

http://whiteriveroutfitters.com/fishing-reports/

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Table+Rock+Lake+largemouth+bass&view=detail&id=418BEFD2F614BDFC53013AA216A1642371028456&first=120&FORM=IDFRIR

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/report_images/thumbs/1300216073-03051318a.jpg

http://www.ms-sportsman.com/pics/p1196279203.jpg
Here hard line even underwater, buggedeyed not the rolled laying on the deck eye. oh small small pupil in that eye too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: new .. need guidance and critique « previous next »